Meta's Horizon has some of the same new user problems SL does, only worse. - WSJ.

animats

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 594 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Wall Street Journal article: Company Documents Show Meta’s Flagship Metaverse Falling Short:

"Most visitors to Horizon Worlds generally don’t return after first month; ‘an empty world is a sad world’"

"Meta initially set a goal of reaching 500,000 monthly active users for Horizon Worlds by the end of this year, but in recent weeks revised that figure to 280,000. The current tally is less than 200,000, the documents show."

"Yet there are rarely any girls in the Hot Girl Summer Rooftop Pool Party, and in Murder Village there is often no one to kill."

"Other complaints included that “people do not look real” and that the avatars don’t have legs."

"The number of Horizon users online at the same time, known as concurrency, trails far behind both the socially focused upstart VR Chat and Second Life"

They spent ten billion dollars to get to that point.

Possible ad campaign: Second Life: Still the #1 metaverse.

Edited by animats
Typo
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Brightstar7777 said:

What's the metaphorical meaning of a Meta where agents and avatars are told they have no root chakra? 

Unlike the word "Avatar", the word "Meta" does not have a root meaning within the general context of Hindu philosophy. That is where chakras come from.

ETA: Oh, by "no root (muladhar) chakra", are you referring to "nothing below the waist? Well, the chakras are in the "subtle body"; if someone in RL had their legs cut off, or was born without legs, or had no lower torso, they would still have a "muladhar" chakra.

Edited by Love Zhaoying

7 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Unlike the word "Avatar", the word "Meta" does not have a root meaning within the general context of Hindu philosophy. That is where chakras come from.

Could it be that Hiranyagarbha is kind of equivalent to 'the meta' ? Or is it more based on Nyāya universals?

Edited by Brightstar7777
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

These new big worlds fail because they plop a new big world down and think  the users will come, rather than how LL let the world get bigger over time..

They want to tak an already grown tree dig a hole and stick it in the yard, rather than let it grow on it's own..

Plant a seed and see if it grows..

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Brightstar7777 said:

What's the metaphorical meaning of a Meta where agents and avatars are told they have no root chakra? 

image.thumb.png.70cef591270f9ea5915faccedde10982.png

image.thumb.png.393067df092e2bc700ac7d9bc94404ae.png

There is no metaphorical meaning for that company using that word, it's just the candy they think people will want to eat.. They aren't looking for deep thinkers, they want cattle for grazing.  it's all about the numbers and stuffing it full as soon as possible..

This is why it's a big ole white elephant. They want it now, give me now, want  it now, want it before now, I want it before I know I want it, in my hand now!!

hehehehe

This is turdburg business thinking. Must have now!

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

Wish people could keep their religious and political beliefs out of threads unless their intent is to get them closed.

A less obvious similarity lies in their etymological roots. For persona, this lies in the Latin and Etruscan words meaning something close to the idea of a mask, especially one used in drama and religious rites (Marshall et al., 2015; Marshall & Barbour, 2015; Morie & Verhulsdonck, 2008). The Hindu notion of “avatar” (derived from the Sanskrit avatara) indicates an earthly manifestation of a deity who comes to earth in human guise with a specific purpose (Morie & Verhulsdonck, 2008), acting as a go-between, mediating communication between the godly and the earthly spheres. Etymologically, then, the terms share aspects of religious communication between gods and humans, and associated elements of identity masking and role playing. Personae are strategic forms of communication allowing single individuals to perform multiple roles and negotiate connections between the individual and social spheres (Marshall & Barbour, 2015). Avatars permit their users to cross the divide between online and offline embodiment, and to experience the virtual simultaneously as both themselves offline and their avatar or avatars online.

(from https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/full/10.1177/0196859920961041)

It's not about religion, it's about this reality and how life interrelates to travelling between experiences. Linden Lab specifically chose the 'avatar' representation for people entering the world of Second Life from beyond as part of Second Life's microcosmic model of external reality. Maybe it's like a fractal tessellation where structures and features occur in parallel at every level or scale?

In Second Life, we rez as gods who can (at the very least) metamorphically alter our appearances, apply telekinesis, long-distance telepathy, teleport vast distances, carry a seemingly infinite number of things, and fly as effortlessly as birds. What's more, it happens in two worlds at once-- out here, on Earth, and in there on the grid. I'm not aware of any living religion that represents these ideas, and so perhaps this is more cosmological than theological, isn't it?

image.thumb.png.3ee423ad04e1ed4007e0e57d808ab819.png

image.thumb.png.8dbc261ac6e2f65e75ed90d03dde4076.png

We Are All Gods.

Edited by Brightstar7777
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 3

I don't know if anyone saw this last week...it was getting laughs on Twitter. If it's true...nobody here should complain about SL being dead again! 

I think this is where somebody was supposed to have paid $650,000 for a digital yacht 😮 (ETA - it is Decentraland, not Meta).

image.thumb.png.25855425b4ccfacd3986044d9c820f68.png

Edited by Rat Luv
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6

10 minutes ago, Brightstar7777 said:

It's not about religion, it's about this reality and how life interrelates to travelling between experiences. Linden Lab specifically chose the 'avatar' representation for people entering the world of Second Life from beyond as part of Second Life's microcosmic model of external reality. Maybe it's like a fractal tessellation where structures and features occur in parallel at every level or scale?

In Second Life, we rez as gods who can (at the very least) metamorphically alter our appearances, apply telekinesis, long-distance telepathy, and fly as effortlessly as birds. I'm not aware of any religion that represents these ideas, and so this is more cosmological than theological, isn't it?

Chakras are part of a religion/religious belief so leave them out of the discussion. 

ETA...avatars don't have souls either.  Just sayin'.

Edited by Rowan Amore
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

Chakras are part of a religion/religious belief so leave them out of the discussion. 

Chakras are a local/regional cultural term for something universal in our energy/light system. It has nothing to do with dogma or hierarchy; it's all-natural and wholesome.

ETA...avatars don't have souls either.  Just sayin'.

Is that your Second Life experience? I've met quite a few soulful characters here, you should know. 

Edited by Brightstar7777
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Brightstar7777 said:

Chakras are a local/regional cultural term for something universal in our energy/light system. It has nothing to do with dogma or hierarchy; it's all-natural and wholesome.

Is that your Second Life experience? I've met quite a few soulful characters here, you should know. 

It's from ancient Hindu (religious) texts but still irrelevant to the discussion.  

Your AVATAR has no soul or heartbeat or temperature.  It doesn't get tired or hungry.  YOU do.  

1 hour ago, Brightstar7777 said:

avatars are told they have no root chakra? 

Avatars don't.  There is nothing 'all-natural' in an avatar.

Anyway...as to @animatsoriginal post, who didn't see this coming?  From the avatars with no legs to the cone of protection they implemented to prevent someone from touching your legless avatar, it was a joke, albeit an expensive one.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

Your AVATAR has no soul or heartbeat or temperature.  It doesn't get tired or hungry.  YOU do.  

How would you measure an avatar's heartbeat or temperature? Is there an API for that, or is it unknown? Why are there cafes and bars and food all over the grid, if avatars don't have appetites? How do you measure the soul of a human being on Earth, much less an avatar in Second Life? What about spirit, and life force? Do you really know what avatars get up to when you're not around? How? Do you connect to the grid without the agent or the client to keep tabs on things? Maybe Second Life is a nexus between proximate worlds. How do you know everyone connecting is experiencing the same reality as you? Is your certainty based on some examination that you can share with the rest of the class?

😹

Edited by Brightstar7777
  • Like 1
  • Confused 3

7 minutes ago, Brightstar7777 said:

When Second Life began in 2003/2004, there was still some overlap between its agents and users of at least one antecedent. Their cultures influenced and seeded Second Life in ways.

I've been in SL since 2004. Most of us that became residents back then were refugee citizens from Active Worlds.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rowan Amore said:

Avatars don't.  There is nothing 'all-natural' in an avatar.

My avatars heartbeat is tied to the cpu cycles of the computer that powers it. When the computer stops, my avatar dies. IIt's temperature tied directly to how hot and heavy it is in the club I am at!

Anyway...as to @animatsoriginal post, who didn't see this coming?  From the avatars with no legs to the cone of protection they implemented to prevent someone from touching your legless avatar, it was a joke, albeit an expensive one.

S/L has a collective soul from the individual residents that inhabit it which is why it continues to live on, while Horizon doesn't and is likely to fail for that exact reason.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, animats said:

"Other complaints included that “people do not look real” and that the avatars don’t have legs."

Legs will be released in 2023. They can't release the photorealistic avatars yet because it would scare people to see how realistic avatars will be, they have to do it slowly. 

Meta has partnered and is working with Microsoft to offer Xbox Game Pass (the netflix of games). Imagine being in your private home, with no limits for the amount of content you can add, furnishings, decorations, and securly play games with friends. 

It took Meta billions to fast forward 19 years year. 

Wild guess, Meta reps are not human, judging by their above average body language & gestures. That is not normal. Anytime we see a Meta rep speak, pretty sure we are seeing their avatars in action. I'm assuming they are driven by a human, they really need to update their AO. 

Watch his hands and arms, everyone at meta using this same AO. 

Edited by Paulsian
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 594 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.