378-Prim Premium Gift Cabin

Prokofy Neva

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 698 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

July_800.thumb.jpg.7fe1a78cb969b2b22633e2eee2e3bf1d.jpg

So this lovely build -- the Premium Halloween Gift -- is a whopping 378 prims. I have rarely seen a small cabin, even furnished, with that many prims. For example Maya, or What's Next, or others with such cabins would likely have half or less.

So that's on the negative side -- it does not fit on a 1024 lot, which has only 351 prims capacity -- which is odd, because the Premium comes with 1024, so you would think they would make a thing that would fit a 1024.

Now to be sure, that's the cabin with all the fixin's -- and you don't have to put them all in.

On the plus side, at long last we get the Moles book shelf, which you can see in some of their own builds, but was never in a Premium gift package nor is it at the Mole Mart.  It's 20 prims -- shelf and added books which are all of a piece -- but it's serviceable.

The cabin by itself is 100 prims, which is more "normal," but still a lot for items nowadays. Even so, it's usable.

The cabinet is an unnecessary 27 prims. Shrinking it even down to Dinkie size leaves it still 25. Why?

The blood-stained fur rug is low-hanging fruit to delete.

Mysterious book and drink.

Living room furniture look like sculpties from 15 years ago, but ok, it's a horror house.

The fireplace is great, and I tried to unlink it to use elsewhere, but then try as I might, I couldn't get it to work again, even making the fire the root prim, or the logs the root prim, or the fireplace the root prim. Oh, well.

And all this isn't even counting the light show, which looks elaborate and I haven't figured it out yet.

You can like a cabin or not like it, but there's only one test: will it rent? And soon we shall see....

July_802.jpg

July_801.jpg

July_800.jpg

July_799.jpg

Edited by Prokofy Neva
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 4

The cabin is an old gift recycled, the same one was a gift years ago, but it was unfurnished last time, and I still thought the LI was much too high for its size. I'm sure I could build one for less out of just prims and a couple of mesh window-frames.

Just about everything Mole-built that I've seen, has far more LI than it seems like it ought to have. I have the content packs for every one of the Linden Home themes and I barely use any of it because of the LI. I managed to make use of the 9 LI awning that comes with the Trailers pack by stripping out and simplifying the mechanism underneath, and I regularly use the low tables and seating from the Sakuras pack which are 1 LI each. But... potted plants at 5 LI is too much, when I can buy similar on the marketplace, link two together and still be at 1 LI.  

• Like 4

For those that weren't around back when premium gifts first came on board as a "perk", the first were made by prominent H and G creators of the time.  I remember some nice things from Mudhoney.  I can't find the post from back then but I do remember the house I was living in. I wasn't premium but a friend was.  I am guessing that there are plenty of good creators that can make low land impact items WITH good LODs that would be willing to give out a premium gift.  Most likely those things would get used more than the often beyond "primmy" items that end up as gifts. 

I guess if you are new to the grid you don't know how unuseful those things are. 

And if I am remembering correctly that cabin first appeared as "décor" on a Linden region. Maybe on the way to the demo area of the Belli trailers?   Someone will remember. Much conversation about it then :D. 

• Like 2

I did a similar thing to diamond... I rezzed it and picked up each item individually, so I'd have a collection of the dolls and stuff to use if I wanted. I've repurposed other gifts before. They did a candy cauldron a few years back, which gave out a message and unscripted candy (useful for non-human avatars), but was heavy on land impact. So I moved all the contents to a one land impact candy bowl.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Ingrid Ingersoll said:

Good lord. Useless. 

It's kind of an insult to the Mainland residents -- because obviously they are the only ones who would use it (not Bellisseria that obviously already has homes, and not island dwellers who presumably would have fancier modern stuff). 

And like those auctions deliberately made 32 m of the exact tier level of say, half a sim (Dicycla, anyone?), it's just over the limit allowed on a 1024 (351) at 378 prims, forcing you to take stuff out and not use the lights (378 doesn't count the lights which would add more).

Somebody said I made a mistake and picked up an old Premium Gift. No, this is what is in those givers at the premium sandboxes linked in the notice.

But I always try to make molehills out of mountains...or something...and I was glad to get the book case and the creepy dolls. The cabin by itself is only 100, not terrible. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Prokofy Neva said:

It's kind of an insult to the Mainland residents -- because obviously they are the only ones who would use it (not Bellisseria that obviously already has homes, and not island dwellers who presumably would have fancier modern stuff). 

And like those auctions deliberately made 32 m of the exact tier level of say, half a sim (Dicycla, anyone?), it's just over the limit allowed on a 1024 (351) at 378 prims, forcing you to take stuff out and not use the lights (378 doesn't count the lights which would add more).

Somebody said I made a mistake and picked up an old Premium Gift. No, this is what is in those givers at the premium sandboxes linked in the notice.

But I always try to make molehills out of mountains...or something...and I was glad to get the book case and the creepy dolls. The cabin by itself is only 100, not terrible. 

Think it's just an oversight? Too many LI by accident, like "oh no, oops"..  

Providing an unusable "gift" on purpose would be REALLY dumb.

I guess one "fix" would be an alternative, lower LI version for those that need it (via notecard, update, etc.).

And this is why I laugh with when "special gifts for Premium members" is presented as a part of the benefits.

I forgot how many years I was Premium. Five? Six? I had Premium on all my 5 accounts for a while. I never picked up one of the gifts. Wait, maybe I picked up the cabin in one of the earlier gifts. I unpacked it in a sandbox and said "Eh, I have cabins so much better, and lower Li".

They are so useless, that IF it should be something worth taking and using, I will not get it. Because they are known to me as bad and  overprimmed stuff.

Was it no mod items a period too? 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

And this is why I laugh with when "special gifts for Premium members" is presented as a part of the benefits. I never picked up one of the gifts.

Me neither. They're always bad. 

Would be nice if they packaged up some of the recently made landscaping items like trees, rocks, fencing and walls from Belliseria and handed them out to Premium members instead. 

Edited by Ingrid Ingersoll
  • Like 7

2 hours ago, Ingrid Ingersoll said:

Me neither. They're always bad. 

Would be nice if they packaged up some of the recently made landscaping items like trees, rocks, fencing and walls from Belliseria and handed them out to Premium members instead. 

Yes, that's an idea.

It's true that the premium gifts have always been sub-par.

And you would think, compelled to constantly dumb down their content to "optimize" it to fit Bellisseria and give the customers more prims, that they would let some of the Moles go wild and make some really nice things that aren't necessarily high in land impact but that are mesh with those vortices or whatever they're called that don't collapse a few steps away. They shouldn't in this day and age hand out gifts made of prims and sculpties -- that's something *I* can do as an amateur landlord for freebies but my God, they're Lindens. The trees and flowers are among what they do best in Belli, they can't give out the houses, so that's the obvious thing.

Or something brand new. It's not at all a draw to the premium accounts, those gifts. They'd be better of saying "here's a coupon to buy $1500 worth of stuff on the MP".

Edited by Prokofy Neva
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Ingrid Ingersoll said:

lol it really is. It's like "thanks for paying us over 100 USD a year, here's something for you to put in the garbage"

Waits for Ingrid Ingersoll to leave his parcel, creeps up to his garbage gets the model out and runs away. 

I think the cabin models are well built and cute. They are so cozy. Neat for little workshop in sandboxes. 

21 minutes ago, Paulsian said:

Waits for Ingrid Ingersoll to leave his parcel, creeps up to his garbage gets the model out and runs away. 

I think the cabin models are well built and cute. They are so cozy. Neat for little workshop in sandboxes. 

This is a well built furnished cabin for only 55 prims...

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Skye-Furnished-Luxury-Forest-Cabin/6652951

• Like 1

On 10/20/2022 at 2:36 PM, Paulsian said:

At 378 land impact, the only place to use them is a sandbox. Which defeats the purpose of giving them to premium accounts who have their own land. 

• Like 1

I've enjoyed a few of the seasonal gifts. Like, "Oh! It's Christmas Eve and I forgot ... again. What can I do quick?" So some of those smaller items, like a hot chocolate dispenser with a holiday theme, are cute. But in general, I've always viewed the gifts as things for people too lazy to shop. :D

Sounds like the cabin works without all the extra-primmy contents. Free is a good price. And if some people are enjoying it, more power to them.

But yes, the gifts that exceed the prim allotment of the standard premium user come across like, "See what you could have if you just spent another $8,420,943.24 on land?" Especially since Linden homes seem reasonable well-designed for builder basic homes, and have a decent land impact.

Still, I'm in it for the extra land and the free uploads. And that Studio Skye cabin really is very nice...

On 10/20/2022 at 3:15 PM, Paulsian said:

Good value for 899L. Animated furnishings is a plus. I like the design of the build too. Decent. 

browses the creators marketplace shop a little more

1.png

2.png

That's a good cabin but the content inside is very outdated. Skye is so much better now than when they first came out with this years ago that they really should update the internal furniture. Usually tenants just ask to take it out.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/13/2022 at 6:27 AM, Prokofy Neva said:

On the plus side, at long last we get the Moles book shelf, which you can see in some of their own builds, but was never in a Premium gift package nor is it at the Mole Mart.  It's 20 prims -- shelf and added books which are all of a piece -- but it's serviceable.

I've had that mole made bookcase for a few years now. It's one of my favorite bookcases. I love all the titles of the books. It was part of the Premium Winter gift in 2018.

96e874c136e2230e8352bb67abecfe0a.jpg

6b10145dd41ace34b4d2db9ff278b3ab.jpg

The cabin alone is 100 LI. With all the sweet winter deco it comes in at 213. 

If someone wants to use the Halloween deco cabin, I would imagine the cabin is still around 100 LI. So a person could simply rez the cabin in a sandbox and remove the items they choose to lower the LI to a suitable amount for the size parcel they own. Or they could just pick and choose from the adorable decoration and use those in their current home.

But seriously, the bookcase is a real keeper. I'm glad to see it's been made available again for all those who missed it the first time around.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Blush Bravin said:

I've had that mole made bookcase for a few years now. It's one of my favorite bookcases. I love all the titles of the books. It was part of the Premium Winter gift in 2018.

96e874c136e2230e8352bb67abecfe0a.jpg

6b10145dd41ace34b4d2db9ff278b3ab.jpg

The cabin alone is 100 LI. With all the sweet winter deco it comes in at 213. 

If someone wants to use the Halloween deco cabin, I would imagine the cabin is still around 100 LI. So a person could simply rez the cabin in a sandbox and remove the items they choose to lower the LI to a suitable amount for the size parcel they own. Or they could just pick and choose from the adorable decoration and use those in their current home.

But seriously, the bookcase is a real keeper. I'm glad to see it's been made available again for all those who missed it the first time around.

I saw it at the Mole Mart, I looked through all my gifts, including Winter 2018, and did not find it. So maybe I lost it? That happens. In that case, this is less of a prize then. 

5 hours ago, Prokofy Neva said:

I saw it at the Mole Mart, I looked through all my gifts, including Winter 2018, and did not find it. So maybe I lost it? That happens. In that case, this is less of a prize then. 

You won't find it individually in your inventory. It comes with the cabin and all the deco in one coalesced object. As for it being less of a prize, because a version of it was given as a limited offer gift once before, that's just plain silly. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Blush Bravin said:

As for it being less of a prize, because a version of it was given as a limited offer gift once before, that's just plain silly. 

If people changed the bookshelf texture, and changed the books, but it was the same bookshelf design, people would still complain!

• Like 1

On 11/1/2022 at 8:49 AM, Blush Bravin said:

You won't find it individually in your inventory. It comes with the cabin and all the deco in one coalesced object. As for it being less of a prize, because a version of it was given as a limited offer gift once before, that's just plain silly. 

While it may have originated as "coalesced," it wouldn't stay that way when taken back in inventory, especially given the high prim count. The book case is not there. I don't know if it was deleted or what. 

It's also not in the Mole Mart, whereas many things are.

I don't know why you want to exonerate this giving of a gift that is essentially a rehash of a 2018 gift (four years ago) or even earlier -- all sculpties and high land impact items. These gifts are for Mainland outside of Bellisseria (obviously someone in Bellisseria is not going to rez a cabin). And thus the Lindens and Moles have shown us what they think of the Mainland.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 698 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.