Is there any stand-up comedy in Second Life?

TheKhajiit

As far as I know, there isn't. Which is kind of odd, because it would be so easy to do in SL. Except for one thing - a good chunk of the humour in a stand-up act is in face expressions and body language, which can't be reproduced in SL. So, stand-up in SL is going to look and sound more like radio comedy. It might work better with two people bantering off each other instead of just one person.

I'd go to watch a stand-up act in SL. 

You could be the first.

• Like 1

On 9/25/2022 at 4:45 AM, TheKhajiit said:

I already spent a bit of time searching for stand-up comedy in-world, but so far all the sims I visited which advertise this seem to not actually have shows anymore. Does it exist?

I don't know about now, but there definitely were SL comedy nights...I don't remember the name...well I do, but sorry if this sounds mean...I found it a bit cringy 😬 It's really weird listening to a joke on SL and then being asked to press a laughter box in the club. And I didn't really get half the jokes...but maybe that's just me! 

(This has reminded me, does anyone remember a magical cabaret night that used to be on every month? It was six or seven acts doing tricks on stage in an old-style theatre. I can't remember who put it on, it was perhaps "Dr (Somebody)"?

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Rat Luv said:

I don't know about now, but there definitely were SL comedy nights...I don't remember the name...well I do, but sorry if this sounds mean...I found it a bit cringy 😬 It's really weird listening to a joke on SL and then being asked to press a laughter box in the club. And I didn't really get half the jokes...but maybe that's just me! 

(This has reminded me, does anyone remember a magical cabaret night that used to be on every month? It was six or seven acts doing tricks on stage in an old-style theatre. I can't remember who put it on, it was perhaps "Dr (Somebody)"?

Gee, I was thinking that SL comedy clubs are a good use-case for "laugh tracks" since you can't get audience feedback.

If only 1 user were to press the "laughter box", that would be worse than none at all.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

If only 1 user were to press the "laughter box", that would be worse than none at all.

Thankfully I never saw that happen, or my head would have blown up with cringe 😯 You could also just type lol or lmao in local.

I've just remembered, I saw a SL comedy set by Lauren Weyland at some bigger event...but I can't remember anything about it!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, belindacarson said:

Trouble is. The biggest comedy moment would be imagining the pile of abuse reports from all of the sensitive little "dahlings" who are "triggered" by silly stuff

I hear ya! Kind of a cut down leftist myself IRL but dang it, I love a good belly laugh from just about any punchy comedian tbh. I like my fix of Ron White and Bill Burr, as much as I take in from Patton Oswalt and Sarah Silverman for instance. I also love old school takes, some of which might be 'politically incorrect' today.

ETA: SL can be a great platform for sitcoms, why not? All of the graphical glitches are a goldmine for jokes (among other bizarre things...)

Edited by JeromFranzic
i glitched
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, JeromFranzic said:

I hear ya! Kind of a cut down leftist myself IRL but dang it, I love a good belly laugh from just about any punchy comedian tbh. I like my fix of Ron White and Bill Burr, as much as I take in from Patton Oswalt and Sarah Silverman for instance. I also love old school takes, some of which might be 'politically incorrect' today.

Chubby Brown fan myself.  Note for the sensitive little "dahlings" - don't look him up.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, TheKhajiit said:

Personally, it seems to me that people whine about snowflakes a lot more often than anyone actually complains about insensitive jokes. The discussion is pretty tiring at this point.

Far from it.  The forum is full of the sensitive little "dahlings" that giving them a fair warning that something will cause them to run and hide in a nuclear bunker until they're 97 seemed appropriate to me 🙂

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, belindacarson said:

Far from it.  The forum is full of the sensitive little "dahlings" that giving them a fair warning that something will cause them to run and hide in a nuclear bunker until they're 97 seemed appropriate to me 🙂

I am offended that I can't use my "offended" sticker anymore because it uses the word "triggered".  So, I will have to use a "MSPAINT" chop-job on it to either overwrite it with "offended", or just crop out the "t-word". 

The reason I am offended is, the people who tell me to stop using that word ("triggered") know nothing about me and assume that I mean it only judgingly or jokingly! 

Silly Forumites!

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, belindacarson said:

Trouble is. The biggest comedy moment would be imagining the pile of abuse reports from all of the sensitive little "dahlings" who are "triggered" by silly stuff

Pretty easy. All you have to do is not go for the low hanging fruit of edgelord bull*****. It's the first step to actually being funny.

• Like 3

• 1 year later...

There sure is. It's usually in a small planned event. I know for a fact that some of the forum users have attempted it because the person was making "jokes" about forum posts. Bombed hard. Harder than the deaf guy who was also participating.

• Like 1