Technical Help?

Halo Fatale

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 557 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm having an issue with my neighbor. He puts weather emitters on the border between our parcels to be hilarious (I guess for his own entertainment). I can usually do an area search for weather emitters and de-render them. But, he's changed the name to "iiiiii" or something similar so that I can't. I have lightning bolts all over my parcel, and even if I view my screen in "CTRL+ALT+t" to display all the invisible objects, they don't flash long enough for me to de-render them or report them. I submitted a grief report, but as per my usual experience, nothing's been done. Any of you Firestorm magicians have any tips?

grief.thumb.jpg.7be531b6b483d497490b7bd0951ae101.jpg

grief 4.png

grief 5.jpg

Edited by Halo Fatale
because i edited it
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Halo Fatale said:

even if I view my screen in "CTRL+ALT+t" to display all the invisible objects, they don't flash long enough for me to de-render them or report them.

If the objects only exist temporarily, derendering them won't do much.

You don't have to report the objects themselves though, you can report the person directly and explain the situation while possibly standing near the location it happens.

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator
  • Like 2

If you can't find the emitters, you can do an Area Search using his name as owner.

Or, you can de-render literally everything at once like this:

• In the Build menu, untick "Select only my objects"
  • Cam down on his parcel from above. Select any object on the parcel.
  • Now, holding down the Shift button, click and drag the mouse to surround his whole parcel and select it all.
  • Right-click the selected mass of objects and derender/blacklist them.

Make sure you haven't extended the box into your parcel or you may derender some of your own stuff too. If you do, you can revert it by finding it on the asset blacklist and removing it.

If the emitters are temp-rez, then they will soon un-derender but you'll then be able to see them clearly as they will be the only objects still visible. (he may have buried them underground).

As a temporary workaround to preserve your sanity, you can turn your particles count down to 0 in graphics preferences, at least while you're on your home parcel. The weather emitters will continue on ther merry way but you won't see it.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Halo Fatale said:

I'm having an issue with my neighbor. He puts weather emitters on the border between our parcels to be hilarious (I guess for his own entertainment). I can usually do an area search for weather emitters and de-render them. But, he's changed the name to "iiiiii" or something similar so that I can't. I have lightning bolts all over my parcel, and even if I view my screen in "CTRL+ALT+t" to display all the invisible objects, they don't flash long enough for me to de-render them or report them. I submitted a grief report, but as per my usual experience, nothing's been done. Any of you Firestorm magicians have any tips?

grief.thumb.jpg.7be531b6b483d497490b7bd0951ae101.jpg

grief 4.png

grief 5.jpg

i really can't see where your land starts and ends, and your neighbours.. so it's difficult to see if it's encroaching.

22 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

If he changed the name of the objects from 'weather emitter' to 'iiii', as noted by the OP, then he is definitely aware of the issue

Sorry I'm not getting it. How does renaming the emitters to "iiii" prevent them from being blacklisted? (not saying that blacklisting is a solution in the first place)

5 minutes ago, xDancingStarx said:

Sorry I'm not getting it. How does renaming the emitters to "iiii" prevent them from being blacklisted? (not saying that blacklisting is a solution in the first place)

It doesn't.  But if the owner respawns the objects, the objects have to be blocked again.  If they are renamed when they are respawned and someone is currently searching for objects with a specific name, the renamed objects won't be found.  One then has to change the search criteria to find the newly spawned objects.  

All of that aside, my comment was just in reply to your statement that "they may not be aware of it being an issue".  IMO, if someone is respawning and renaming items, then they know they are being a jerk,

• Like 5

On 9/16/2022 at 8:55 AM, Lewis Luminos said:

As a temporary workaround to preserve your sanity, you can turn your particles count down to 0 in graphics preferences, at least while you're on your home parcel. The weather emitters will continue on ther merry way but you won't see it.

Even easier solution for particles and sounds - blocking the owner of the object producing the particles and sounds will make them disappear/be silent.

• 4 weeks later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 557 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.