Framed!

Lindal Kidd

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 671 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I updated to the latest LL viewer, to see the new profile format everyone's talking about. I like it. But...

I noticed that there is a wide black frame around the UI now, even when the viewer is set to use the whole display.

Why is that, LL? It just takes up a significant portion of screen real estate and makes it completely useless.

• Like 2

I don't like the new profiles, but I realize it's just one of those "who moved my cheese" problems.

I can see where it is more "optimal" although pull-down menus don't really seem optimal to me, maybe they do to evolved, younger people. I realize the new profile is not for me and if it helps retains new users, I would bless it. Eventually I'll get used to it.

Isn't it telling that Firestorm didn't make this change. LOL. 

725ccd47525a54e3c5ea1ad30c802c0a.png

Edited by Prokofy Neva
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I like this version of profile much better over that online one..

First thing I noticed when I got in the SL viewer that right away got my attention and needs to be set another way is, Turn off click to move.. Make them have to find that rather than having them showing up in groups asking how do they turn it off, because ya preferences, they can't find that either..

Second is, why the need to eat up so much screen space? The cam controls are twice the size than they need to be.. The chat is still clunky and boxy and reminds me of  the old messenger chats like Yahoo and AIM.

I opened chat and was like, which side is the chat and which side is the groups? My groups came up on the left side of the chat in three times the size window as the chat did.. I was like, ok which one is the groups and which is the chat.. took me a second, because they look the same.. hehehe

Honestly, this viewer needs some serious quality of life enhancements.. having new users have to search and trouble shoot every single thing is going to send many away..

They seriously need a revamp with a viewer set up for today's new users.. The newer generation isn't sitting in 3d programs and building their own pc's and programming software.. The newer generation is brought up in a world of much more user friendly than most of us were..

I swear every time I get in that viewer I can't wait to get out.. I bet my heart rate increases from the anxiety.. LOL

I'm sorry, I'm just really in a harsh mood today, but trying my best to see things from someone just walking into SL for the first time..

• Like 1

Just now, Love Zhaoying said:

You need one of the fancy edge-to-edge monitors!

I just got one of those wide curved ones a little while back.. I still don't have enough room. There will never be enough room.. Because screen space is like inventory.. if I'm doing something I'm jamming as much stuff on my screen as I can to cut down on things like unpacking or taking pictures..

Oh look, I can use this hud, this is gonna go so well with my other huds.. Now just  let me get tetris on this and move things around so everything has it's new place..

Ok now that my screen looks like a windshield in a blizzard in Chicago where it's cleaned just enough to see light .. hehehehe

Give us an inch we'll try squeezing a mile out of it.. hehehe

• Like 1

Just now, Ceka Cianci said:

I just got one of those wide curved ones a little while back.. I still don't have enough room. There will never be enough room.. Because screen space is like inventory.. if I'm doing something I'm jamming as much stuff on my screen as I can to cut down on things like unpacking or taking pictures..

Oh look, I can use this hud, this is gonna go so well with my other huds.. Now just  let me get tetris on this and move things around so everything has it's new place..

Ok now that my screen looks like a windshield in a blizzard in Chicago where it's cleaned just enough to see light .. hehehehe

Give us an inch we'll try squeezing a mile out of it.. hehehe

I've had the not too wide non-curved type for 10+ years, haven't used it for awhile.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I've had the not too wide non-curved type for 10+ years, haven't used it for awhile.

I like mine, I just have to make sure I'm centered when taking picture or they turn out different than what I'm actually seeing.. hehehehe

Mine is like those wide screen movies where it's much more wide than high.. It's great for videos and movies..

• Like 1

I'm just resurrecting my own thread to observe that I've been an active participant in not one, but TWO locked threads today! Coincidence? I think not!

And if I can just make this one a trifecta, it'll serve the additional purpose of permanently sinking clear evidence of my own stupidity.

It's a win-win.

(...Waves to @Dyna Mole Hey! Over here! Here's another one!!!)

1 hour ago, Lindal Kidd said:

I'm just resurrecting my own thread to observe that I've been an active participant in not one, but TWO locked threads today! Coincidence? I think not!

And if I can just make this one a trifecta, it'll serve the additional purpose of permanently sinking clear evidence of my own stupidity.

It's a win-win.

(...Waves to @Dyna Mole Hey! Over here! Here's another one!!!)

*offers tiny mershmellaz n a mug o hot chocco*

• Like 2

On 9/2/2022 at 10:09 PM, bigmoe Whitfield said:

anybody got a screenshot of this new profile?  since I'm only using firestorm.

Your machine will not explode if you have both viewers on your hard disk.
So install a copy and have a look. The viewer is free.

• Like 1

On 9/3/2022 at 12:14 AM, Rowan Amore said:

Exactly what I thought when I recently checked out the LL viewer after probably ten years away from it.   GET ME.OUT!

As a counter weight: I totally don't feel at home with the Firestorm viewer.
So mileages do differ.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 671 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.