Second Life vs Meta (again)

ChinRey

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 619 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

15 minutes ago, Jules Catlyn said:

That is an interesting video and i think he is right about a game/metaverse/virtual world needing a soul.

I'm not sure the Zuckburger understands the concept of a 'soul'. 

• Like 5

Mataverse is still more a buzz word than anything else.
And the hotness of that buzzword is cooling down rapidly.

What is there to comment about, we don't even know a concrete concept.
So far it is nothing more than a bag with hot air.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 4

Since the reviewer kept banging on the word "game" and comparing SL and Meta to a typical game like Fortnight, I wasn't expecting much from this video. It was actually pretty good. I'm one of those oldbies who grimaces at referring to SL as a game. That the reviewer said he was never into SL (and I suspect because it isn't a game), and he was still fair to SL was a nice surprise.  How... what... how... :::sputters::: can they have spent that much money on something not even up yet and have it look like that? While "graphics are overrated" according to this video (and I agree) what the thing looks like does matter! I recently found out, after my awesome (at one time) but ancient desktop died, that I can run SL pretty decently, even taking some high rez photos in Black Dragon, using a $500 intel graphics Inspiron laptop!

Does Zuckerberg understand "soul"? No, you have to have one first...

• Like 2

The whole idea of what we think is based on past hardware limitations a few people in high places the ideas they see and a whole boatload of people who think it's a new chance to control other's while getting the opportunity to put money in there pockets.

I think today is not the right time for a metaverse because one of it's driving points is it would involve the majority of the worlds population being involved instead we have mostly a small minority of people who are from around 30 mostly western countries that represents less then a billion people in a world of almost 9 billion people from almost 200 countries.

The current ideas and proposed forms of a metaverse leaves out others ideas/viewpoints and input and shows while Facebook talks about diversity and free expression it's just a good smokescreen your getting nothing new or groundbreaking just tech repackaged/relabeled.

I just think this whole thing is corrupted with things we have yet to move away from like government control, imperialism, technocracy, plutocracy. 

Maybe in 30yrs we could see new technology were a metaverse could be something more mainstream with it existing to enhance our day to day lives especially with AR combined with new advanced 3D Hologram Technology 

I don't even think Meta is competing with SL but more of Sansar and whatever else is trying to be the next 'thing' while SL is in its own small market and doing well because it's owners have learned the hype train is nothing but a financial slow ride in a Hurst.

Meta will not be the next metaverse it will likely become roommates in a one bedroom apartment with it's soulmate MySpace.

Edited by NevaehHeartstrings
Typo
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

But look Sid - you can go shopping with a headset! I think this video will win you round!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

23 minutes ago, Rat Luv said:

But look Sid - you can go shopping with a headset! I think this video will win you round!

The part of the video where the user gets sent back to the virtual refrigerated section so they can put the non-existent milk back into the theoretical fridge was hilarious.

I guess if the metaverse does crash and burn at least Walmart can recoup some of the cost of developing this by releasing it as a Shopping Simulator game, like PowerWash Simulator only with shopping carts!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rat Luv said:

Here is what confuses me about the demo:

If your physical RL car is at the physical RL Wal-Mart getting a RL oil change..

Are you sitting at home doing the virtual shopping? How did your car get to Wal-Mart without you? How would your car get home?

Are you sitting in a VR both at the Wal-Mart? Are you in your car with blackened windows while the oil is changed?

Answers, darnit!!1!!

Edited by Love Zhaoying
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Sid Nagy said:

Exactly, ask two people what the metaverse is and you will likely get two different answers.  For some people video games are metaverses, for others it is a crossover of genres in video games or movies, some think the blockchain is a metaverse🤣, some feel NFTs are going to usher it in,  others feel it is a new layer that sits atop of the Internet and functions as a 3d environment and rather than a product it is a a set of standards people used to create their augmented and VR environments which is universal.  (like html 5).  I think of the metaverse as the last one, but that is not necessarily all that great.

The above comes close to how I envision it in part, especially with all of the ads, the customer reward points, etc.  One huge series of advertisements, yay us!  

Meta thinks the metaverse is some weird facebook app with lousy graphics, and where all of the ads and your personal data is controlled by them.

Edited by Istelathis
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Here is what confuses me about the demo:

If your physical RL car is at the physical RL Wal-Mart getting a RL oil change..

Are you sitting at home doing the virtual shopping? How did your car get to Wal-Mart without you? How would you get home?

Are you sitting in a VR both at the Wal-Mart? Are you in your car with blackened windows while the oil is changed?

Answers, darnit!!1!!

Perhaps the designers decided that in order to really recreate the shopping experience the user should be forced to start the process by driving from their virtual home to the virtual store in their virtual car, clearly words like "innovative" and "efficient" weren't part of their design brief.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Fluffy Sharkfin said:

Perhaps the designers decided that in order to really recreate the shopping experience the user should be forced to start the process by driving from their virtual home to the virtual store in their virtual car, clearly words like "innovative" and "efficient" weren't part of their design brief.

Yeah, that was the more obvious interpretation! My brain got stuck at the "my virtual car needs oil" part!

The "tossing" of the milk back into the bin was kind of silly. Unneeded physics example, should have splooshed open and made a mess.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Yeah, that was the more obvious interpretation! My brain got stuck at the "my virtual car needs oil" part!

The "tossing" of the milk back into the bin was kind of silly. Unneeded physics example, should have splooshed open and made a mess.

Yes, to my mind putting virtual oil in your virtual car is no less silly than being forced to put unwanted virtual milk back into a virtual refrigerator.

The video does a great job of illustrating one of the pitfalls of designing virtual environments, in that the designers have opted for familiarity over functionality by implementing features which serve no purpose beyond emulating the tedium of the real life experience rather than using their imagination and implementing the technology available to create something innovative that offers any real advantage to shopping in the metaverse.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Oh, c'mon....are they serious?

This demo replicates the shopping experience, all right. They do it in a clunky, clumsy, error-prone way that's going to be maddening, but that's not the worst point.

The worst is...that it replicates the shopping experience. EVERYTHING about the shopping experience. Including everything we HATE about the shopping experience.

Do these turkeys think we LIKE looking for a parking space? Pushing a dirty cart down endless aisles of goods looking for things? Talking to chirpy, cheery teenagers who give us bad advice, while the fluorescent lighting scars our retinas?

This is why so many people prefer to sit at home, browse peacefully through an on line catalog, and buy their stuff from their desk or living room sofa...all the baggage of the "shopping experience" is simply gone. It's not a factor. The process is streamlined, comfortable, and quick.

Edited by Lindal Kidd
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, Fluffy Sharkfin said:

Yes, to my mind putting virtual oil in your virtual car is no less silly than being forced to put unwanted virtual milk back into a virtual refrigerator.

The video does a great job of illustrating one of the pitfalls of designing virtual environments, in that the designers have opted for familiarity over functionality by implementing features which serve no purpose beyond emulating the tedium of the real life experience rather than using their imagination and implementing the technology available to create something innovative that offers any real advantage to shopping in the metaverse.

I noticed that for the groceries, they skipped the "browsing".

Not much point in virtual shopping then - we've had that since COVID: Go to your store app on your phone, add stuff to the cart, checkout, and select delivery. 

5 minutes ago, Fluffy Sharkfin said:

I could see the advantages of that for DIY sorts in being nice to see where and how to do some of these little mundane chores on specific models, rather then having to pay a professional large sums of money to do it.

45 minutes ago, Istelathis said:

For some people video games are metaverses, for others it is a crossover of genres in video games or movies, some think the blockchain is a metaverse🤣, some feel NFTs are going to usher it in,  others feel it is a new layer that sits atop of the Internet and functions as a 3d environment and rather than a product it is a a set of standards people used to create their augmented and VR environments which is universal.  (like html 5).  I think of the metaverse as the last one, but that is not necessarily all that great.

I'm with you (and Nvidia) on how I perceive the metaverse, although I don't think of the metaverse as purely an entertainment platform but rather a collaborative tool which can be used to create social spaces as well.

So far the only tech demos I've seen for self-proclaimed metaverse products that have really peaked my interest and made me stop to wonder at the possibilities are the ones concerning Nvidias Omniverse project which, rather than focusing on creating a virtual world, focuses on the framework required to connect various applications and development platforms so that people can work collaboratively in real-time.

All these new virtual worlds claiming to be the metaverse seem more like marketing schemes, the foundation for a functioning metaverse will be the technology that connects multiple virtual worlds together.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

I could see the advantages of that for DIY sorts in being nice to see where and how to do some of these little mundane chores on specific models, rather then having to pay a professional large sums of money to do it.

Oh if it were a technical demo on how to perform an oil change for the specific make and model of the vehicle you own in real life, sure.  But in that video it appeared to be a virtual mechanic changing your virtual oil whilst you were in the virtual store playing with virtual groceries ... and you didn't even get to watch them doing it! 🤣

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

They left out the "worst" and also the "most unique" part of Wal-Mart shopping:  Seeing all of the (other) freaky Wal-Mart shoppers.

I'm just sad that they didn't include the store greeter guy from Idiocracy saying "Welcome to Walmart, I love you!" at the start of the shopping experience!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

I'm not putting anything on my head that dulls my senses and enter any world that he ever makes.. I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but I'm not the dullest one either..

Nothing I've seen of Meta really impresses me so far, especially not when you consider the amount of money that's gone into development (seriously what have they been doing with all that cash, are the coders all sitting around with solid gold keyboards, does each of the designers have a diamond encrusted mouse?).

But I must say I do feel a certain sympathy for the guys tasked with creating the avatars.  Everyone assumes that they were asked to create realistic human avatars (and if that's the case they deserve all the scorn directed at them), however if "the Zuck" just showed up one day and said "make an avatar that looks like me!"...

mzav.jpg.92e02e0c4e3cae8a33f670fddd27fd97.jpg

I think they pretty much nailed it... the lifeless eyes, the pallid complexion, even the weird hair and gormless expression.

Edited by Fluffy Sharkfin
  • Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 619 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.