Does SL Have an Intelligentsia?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 663 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

17 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

This is . . . highly debatable.

I draw the distinction between those with civic-mindedness who take on civic tasks and "social justice warriors". But it's true, sometimes a society doesn't appreciate the SJWs until they lose the justice that they thought those people were foolish to fight for.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

If there IS an intelligentsia in Second Life, why aren't they out where we can see them, letting us know how things should be and that they will help fix things?

So with that logic, either there isn't an intelligentsia in Second Life, or we should replace them.

And if there isn't an intelligentsia in Second Life, what makes us think they would do a half-arse decent job at "making things better"?

Into the abattoir with the lot of them, says I!  Down with the intelligentsia!  Long live the common Avatar!

I can understand that sentiment but what has the common avatar done for us?

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Seicher Rae said:

So true.  I am close to a very brainy math major. Brilliant. And yet... zero curiosity. I'm like a cat with a laser pointer light. Or Dug in "Up!" with "Squirrel!" EVERYthing is fascinating. But but but... when I bring up my left of sideways 'isn't this interesting??? it is, right!" stuff math-brainy-person is like "meh." They have a very sharp focus of what they like and that is enough. I sooooooo don't get it. (And for anyone MBTI versed, it is soooooooooooo spot on: I'm INTP the math person is ESTJ)

Don't you think we all have PhDs in physics from running these SL servers and struggling to do all the SL stuff???? Philip should be proud!

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

As I believe our esteemed OP is expert on social constructs and history of proletariat and similar (from my observation of their posts over the years), it will be interesting to see how they weigh in on the question of whether the intelligentsia can exist without the proletariat.

"Those at the top cannot and those at the bottom are not able".

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:
2 hours ago, Prokofy Neva said:

I can understand that sentiment but what has the common avatar done for us?

It is enough to merely exist.

The problem is that there are always those who seek to control the direction of any community, and if an individual doesn't seek to have their voice heard and commit to action they will be overrun, and soon it's likely you won't be able to "merely exist" in the way you desire anymore.

• Like 2

Are there groups of intellectuals/thought leaders who try to shape their world but are opposed and repressed by those in power? LL doesn't stop people from discussing possible changes to SL. They hold meetings with residents in-world and on the forums they encourage discussions to be primarily about SL. The Jira system allows people point out any problems and make suggestions on improving SL. We have the freedom to think, speak and assemble which I believe the lack of these freedoms was the reason for the intelligentsia. 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

How is "cannot" different from "not able"?

Well, that's one of those things that used to be taught in English class, the difference between physically being able to do something and not being allowed to do something but ACTUALLY I put up a mangled version of the famous quote by Lenin which is:

Верхи не хотят, низы не могут

Which is translated literally as: "The tops don't want, the bottoms can't".

Or those who rule society don't want to change it; those at the bottom of society can't change it, i.e. they don't have the power.

Edited by Prokofy Neva
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Bree Giffen said:

Are there groups of intellectuals/thought leaders who try to shape their world but are opposed and repressed by those in power? LL doesn't stop people from discussing possible changes to SL. They hold meetings with residents in-world and on the forums they encourage discussions to be primarily about SL. The Jira system allows people point out any problems and make suggestions on improving SL. We have the freedom to think, speak and assemble which I believe the lack of these freedoms was the reason for the intelligentsia. 

I think you can imagine this ideal state of affairs only because you are accepted into this world and go along with the powers that be and agree with them. 

The JIRA is the worst possible way to be making suggestions about the society; it's for technical matters within the software. It's an abuse of that system and an abuse of power to use the JIRA for ostensible "features" request which are really about *policies* and even changes in the TOS.

We hardly have those freedoms as I shouldn't have to explain with a forums where anyone can be banned and a JIRA where you can also be banned, and not for any rational or just reason.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

Won't and Can't

...one of those things that used to be taught in English class :)

ETA: The original words used were "cannot" and "not able"... which are synonymous, which was Maddy's observation, and not the same as won't/can't... as of course was Rowan's point, I believe.

Edited by Seicher Rae
  • Like 1

I see the intelligentsia as the forces that seek to guide society. And so if we take a stand against the powers that be we also become part of the intelligentsia, albeit usually with much less power.

I watched a series yesterday on Hulu that demonstrated what one dedicated person can actually achieve against the powers that be, and I'll always feel an inspired glow when I think of this woman:

https://www.fxnetworks.com/shows/children-of-the-underground

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 663 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.