Forum Advice

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 784 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

12 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

I doubt the moderators want to hear our assumptions or even educated guesses about who's an alt of who. It would probably be safe to tell them that you suspect a post is someone's alt and give your reasons for why you suspect this though.

Yeah, like nobody "knows". It's not like Luna has an Alt named "Moona", that would just be too obvious.

ETA: We were taught in kindergarten that being a "tattletale" is bad!

Edited by Love Zhaoying
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

6 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

How would you know there's no reason to point it out?  Were you privy to all the discussions I had with them?

I can imagine a scenario in which person A DMs you, tells you they're the alt of person B and that they're planning something nefarious or clever to derail a thread. Even if Person A told you this however, that still wouldn't prove that they're really person B.  If you tell a moderator that you know Person A and B are the same person because you know them in Real Life, that wouldn't prove they were either, because you could also be lying. 

I think the Mods just have to go by what is posted and their own judgement.

Edited by Persephone Emerald
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Point Blank: You cannot make the call that a given account is the Alt of another nor can you trust them if they state they are (or aren't). You are not the service operator. Unless they're MAC/IP spoofing, said service operator has enough information to make that call and even they cannot be wholly certain as some may actually share a machine and/or an Internet connection (or have been assigned the IP of someone else who was actioned).

• Like 7

...peeps into the thread.

Now, what is all this?

Goodness, Solar! I would never report someone for posting something that could be considered "baiting". Nor would I ever report someone because I suspected they might be somebody else's alt.

Both of those seem to me to be very trivial.

And yes, I've made posts that triggered others myself. I suppose someone could accuse me of "baiting". I've always thought of it as "discussion" myself, or perhaps, when it becomes heated, "argument". But that's part of conversation, after all.

Just as alts are a part of SL. We've had endless discussions here about alts, both those used in world and those used in the forums. I think it's cowardly and deceptive to use an alt to troll the forums, but unless you're doing something like posting fifty copies of some obscene topic, I think it's something we should all be adult enough to deal with ourselves, without a report to LL.

In fact, we had a fairly long discussion here recently about "when do you report someone". I believe most of us who chimed in on that said that our reporting was very rare.

I hope it stays that way.

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Nor would I ever report someone because I suspected they might be somebody else's alt.

Nobody said that's the reason they would report someone. I've only said it could be necessary in order to provide greater evidence as to what the motivation of a current poster might be -- because of what that alt said in the past.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Moles

Your best guides to what you can put into a report are the Forum Participation Guidelines and the Posting and Participation Guidelines that appear at the top of each subforum.  If you believe that someone has violated something in one of the guidelines, you may decide to submit a report that says so, and you may mention relevant information to support your suspicion. A report is a private message, so you are not violating any rules about public disclosure. 

Please do not take my comment as an invitation to turn on each other by reporting every suspected infraction. Please note also that "frivolous or malicious use of the abuse report feature" is frowned on. This is not a police state where citizens are rewarded for snitching on each other, and the moderators really don't want to be in the business of "catching" people. We're in this together, trying to make the forums a place for good, civil conversation and discussion.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 5

54 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

While not averse in principle to making the mods' lives a bit easier, I have no intention of myself becoming a cog in the implementation of a new system to which I am fundamentally opposed.

I'll find another way of responding -- one that neither contributes to contentious debate, nor makes me complicit with the new rules.

I have been very quiet and mostly, but not entirely, avoiding the GD and limiting my time in these forums while I wean myself off and look for other options to learn from and socialize with people around the world.  It is why I first signed up and logged in a dozen years ago.  If I only wanted to chat with people in my own time zone, I would do it in real life.

While I am looking for other options, this is a posting strategy that I can support. It is useful forum advice.  Until then, I'll mostly look at pictures of avatars and watch posts in the land forum while mourning my personal loss of a worldwide view.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 2

2 minutes ago, Cinnamon Mistwood said:

I have been very quiet and mostly, but not entirely, avoiding the GD and limiting my time in these forums while I wean myself off and look for other options to learn from and socialize with people around the world.  It is why I first signed up and logged in a dozen years ago.  If I only wanted to chat with people in my own time zone, I would do it in real life.

This is perhaps my greatest concern -- that the new guidelines will simply make this such a dull place that people -- who constitute my main reason for being here -- will leave.

It's early days yet, but that's not beeen happening so far as I can see to this point.

My sense is that the interpretation of the rules being applied by the mods represents a reasonable liberal approach. I've seen long digressions removed as off topic, for instance, but not individual asides and playful jokes. And there has been some discussion of what one might call "social issues" in the context of in-world culture -- that hasn't been removed yet either. 

We'll see where we are in a few months I guess but, assuming that what I'm seeing now remains the norm, and that we, as a community, don't force a stricter approach, I think this might be workable.

Don't jump ship quite yet, please, Cinn.

It was a very small iceberg, and the engineers assure me we're unsinkable. 🙃

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I'll find another way of responding -- one that neither contributes to contentious debate, nor makes me complicit with the new rules.

And just as soon as I've figured out what that is, I'll let you know . . . 😏

Why isn't ignoring them (simple ignore, not by some block/ignore mechanism) an option? You know, scroll on past.

It's what I do. A LOT lately! It has become quite rewarding with practice.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Why isn't ignoring them (simple ignore, not by some block/ignore mechanism) an option? You know, scroll on past.

It's what I do. A LOT lately! It has become quite rewarding with practice.

Well, some of the time I'll do that. A lot of the time, actually, even before these guidelines went into place.

It rather depends upon what has been said, and its context. And no, I'm not going to lay out examples for you. But sometimes simply letting a statement or a bit of misinformation stand unchallenged in any way is ethically wrong. As the father of modern conservatism, Edmund Burke, once said (purportedly), "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men [sic] do nothing." Silence can be complicity.

Now, I expect that the number of posts here upon which ride the Moral Welfare of All Civilization will likely be quite small. So I doubt I'll be saving us all from evil very often. 😉

But I think it's important to at least flag things with which I vehemently disagree as "This is a highly debatable point."

And in fact, that is probably all I will do.

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
  • Like 6

38 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

Excellent!

So, all I need do to find my entrance is search the forums for "This is a highly debatable point".

You're the best, Scylla.

You, madam, are a highly debatable Li'l Devil, and don't require my assistance.

I can smell the sulphur already.

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, Quartz Mole said:

The advice I have now received is that yes, nude images taken in SL (as opposed to RL nude photos, which would be OT for SL) are now allowed in the Adult Forums.   

Ha!

I'll have you know that I've been parading around ALL of the forums for nearly a decade, nekked as a little devil can be. Some of that time I was in your kitchen, raiding your fridge.

724079789_NekkidFridgeRaid.thumb.jpg.d1a18d325f0490e9dbf4803e50c6bd80.jpg

7 hours ago, Quartz Mole said:

The authors of the new policy will be at work on Monday, and I will be sure to ask them for clarification then.

Make sure you tell them that you've had a naked devil in your home. If I'm going down, I'm taking you with meeeeeee!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

11 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

Ha!

I'll have you know that I've been parading around ALL of the forums for nearly a decade, nekked as a little devil can be. Some of that time I was in your kitchen, raiding your fridge.

724079789_NekkidFridgeRaid.thumb.jpg.d1a18d325f0490e9dbf4803e50c6bd80.jpg

Make sure you tell them that you've had a naked devil in your home. If I'm going down, I'm taking you with meeeeeee!!!

I appeal to the mods -- surely this is a bannable offense?

(Let's see how many "reports" you can send for a single post . . .)

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 784 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.