What Do You Do for Fun? (That's Not Dancing, Sex, or Para-RP)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 609 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

6 hours ago, Persephone Emerald said:

Here's a nice GTFO train for $L 1. It's modifiable, so I removed 3 of the cars to make a lower LI version. One can ride the rails in Bellisseria easier than flying.

Just relax and enjoy the view. 

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Infinity-Freight-Quarry-Train-v11-1L-Gift/19097142

I did not know this was a thing! I will have to take a train ride through Bellisseria! Its one of the few places that I can explore with with Mid-High settings and not have slideshow. Most other places I have to go down to low-mid to even walk around. Sidenote: I can't wait for in/when they come out with 512 plots for the fantasy lands. That's another thing to do: decorate that house, lol.

Another thing in my bucket list is horse-riding! I've been wanting to take a trot around Belli or even try out something organized like this ABC horse races or tournaments.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Monique Bellambi said:

I did not know this was a thing! I will have to take a train ride through Bellisseria! Its one of the few places that I can explore with with Mid-High settings and not have slideshow. Most other places I have to go down to low-mid to even walk around. Sidenote: I can't wait for in/when they come out with 512 plots for the fantasy lands. That's another thing to do: decorate that house, lol.

Another thing in my bucket list is horse-riding! I've been wanting to take a trot around Belli or even try out something organized like this ABC horse races or tournaments.

I think the loglands are the best for horseback riding with all their pretty dirt roads.  For train riding you need a rez zone on the tracks to get started.

Here's a couple I know:

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Pugwash/200/51/23

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Red Hook/99/147/33

I don't have landmarks for the others but I know there are some.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/2/2022 at 6:13 PM, Garnet Psaltery said:

At the moment I'm working with friends on some fun rp.  You'll be lucky to get whole sentences out of us or much sense at all as we'll be mostly going "Yarrr!", and firing things at each other.  When we're not eating.

I think you know where we live. :) 

::waves at garnet::  ;D

oh, i thought i was the only one who keeps buying new avatars, modding them up, and then... um... almost never wearing them again :X  (besides bloggers who take photos and make money from doing that.)   didn't think 'avatar addiction' was a passtime... but okay...!   yeah, kinda like star stable where you ride horsies and play dress-up.

i really don't like grindy games.  like farming and stuff :/  maybe because of my time in the ancient neverwinter nights servers.  omg... kill 500 deer.  to get 200 pelts... to make 50 leather scraps... to make one really sucky piece of armor.  JUST so you can level up and do twice as much for a higher level sucky piece of armor.  not fun.  neither is killing the same things over and over and over to get another character level.

i didn't think i'd like the freight thing either, but.... hmm... mayyyyyyyyybe?  i DO like sid meier's pirates, and  uncharted waters online.  sailing around buying cargo here, selling for a profit there.  

kinda never thought about doing those in SL, though.  i mean... a 'real' game made for that looks and works a lot better, i think.  :/

there's a group in SL for escape rooms called Second Escape.  i didn't get to try their exhibit at SL19B... and i haven't gotten any notices from them yet about new escape rooms to try.  but that should be fun.

i also saw at SL19B there's a realistic scuba-diving setup you can learn.  unfortunately, if i took a landmark for that, i've lost it, and i don't remember the exact name to find it.  but that sounds like fun.

there's the Studio Dire | Tabletop Community, for DnD style games.  i never got into all those stats and dice and things, but i did used to play with a DM who did all that for me... :D  finding another good, solid, long-term RP game like that could be fun.  but i have only seen one game looking for players on their bulletin board.  so i dont know when (or if!?) anyone goes there.

as for Real Time RP...  i've been kicking around this idea to just have a...  a sort of 'callahan's crosstime saloon' deal.  where anyone can host (or rez?) a saloon/bar/cafe, where anyone from any 'verse can come in and freeform RP.  sorta like back in the ancient days of qlink's red dragon inn.

because i'm not rich, and i can't afford a whole sim.  (and don't have time to decorate it, etc.)  and i don't have a lot of time to put into it.  but some random zaniness would be a whole lotta fun, i think.

if anybody wants to try to get together in a sorta loose conglomerate (or if you got time and want to organize it a bit more) like that... let me know.  maybe we can have a thread on the new rp forum for it?  maybe we can FINALLY find other non para-RPers.  (i've seen one or two around!)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I play music and I make stuff.

Playing music and singing for people is who and what I am. Screw the day job, that's just what keeps the lights on and the bills paid. Other than that, my idea of a fun time in SL which doesn't involve others in RP or hanging out is when I look at a feature of SL and get an idea of something I could do with that which nobody else has done yet.... and then start putting together a proof of concept object and its associated scripts. Almost none of it ends up on the MP these days, its mostly crazy stuff that nobody would want to buy anyway, along with the occasional "My friend wants this and can't find it so I'll make it for 'em if I can" thing :)

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

i've recently become a fan of valiant furry wrestling org. that holds events wednesday nights at 6pm, and saturday nights at 7pm.

i was never impressed with SL wrestling; it all went very slowly (at least, the matches i saw, years ago).  but valiant is a very professional.  the commentators are top notch, and the production is insane.  every wrestler has their own theme song and custom music video intro that plays on the big screen when they enter.  the players really get into character when addressing the audience or each other.  and the weekly videos are well-edited.

i have not been this impressed in second life since... well, since the trans siberian orchestra tribute show.

valiant on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpNRFPUCwx-8Bkdn1yrAppQ/videos

• Like 1

So bumping relatively old posts is not that bad :)

Racing. I do that way too much. My DM Curva or an IK equivalent. Chasing the seconds.

Boating. I love checking out the World Map and see if I can get from A to B. Not sailing,, though I have some experience in that and admire those who master it, I need me some speed across water SIMs

Building. You can still do a lot w prims, import some mesh and if you can't, get some on the MP

Just talking with people. Trust me, it's very underrated, and before you know it hours fly by. I spend a LOT of time doing just that. Establish a conversation baseline of sorts, ignore that Friends list BS, and just meet the next time and say "oh hi again".

Edited by HeathcliffMontague
Spelling
  • Like 1

On 8/2/2022 at 8:20 PM, Bloodsong Termagant said:

Sailing:

my friend belongs to a sailing club.  every sunday at 1pm they travel a specific route.  technically not a 'race.' :X

...this could be fun, but it's also a sim-crossing lag- and crash-fest.

There are many more cruises than just the LCC Sunday 1pm cruise. You can find most of them and boat races (regattas) advertised in the Secondlife Sailing Association (SLSA) group.

I have a slow internet connection, so I get used to managing lag. If you try to keep out the crowds, keep your draw distance within limits of your bandwidth and graphics driver (I usually run with 160m draw distance), keep scripts you are wearing low then you should find them more enjoyable. I love sailing cruises so much I am involved in running 4 separate groups cruises each week. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I like to find some really elegant and luxurious house for rent in some fancy neighborhood and rent it for a week or two and then move on. I have my friends visit me there at least once. My goal is to live in all of  the fanciest luxury estates in SL for at least a week. I also take pictures, decorate, landscape, retexture clothing, and run a cozy jazz club and various other businesses. I also babysit animesh babies for my friends who are into pretending to have had a baby, then get bored and want to go out at night. 

• Like 2

that's an interesting passtime, harmony!  :)

you can busk in london city?  ::taking notes::   do you play an instrument?  do you have to 'really' perform (sing/play) or is scripted performance okay?  ::digging out my 'we will rock you' bagpipes...::

hahhaha, rob!  i do that too.  sometimes.  ;D

i did try out the GTFO.  i like it!  wee wonders put out a free dinkie heckicopter, and i edited it and the scripts... well, i still have to use a messenger bag and the free trial hud so far, but... in an aircraft, the danger of crashing is kinda realistic.  though actually, i haven't crashed the client.  been hit by some no-object-entry parcels and one zero-warning security orb.  but by and large, it's gone well!

it's a bit like sid meier's pirates of the carribean, or uncharted waters online.  but the thing i liked in those games (besides learning a LOT of geography), was you could pick up goods in one port and then find the best other port to sell them for the best profit.  gtfo is a little more simplistic in that respect, but still...  you need some orienteering skills, map-reading, predicting if a fancy home has a security orb, PLUS the skill to land the chopper.

i juiced up the heckicopter speed, but it still travels fairly slowly, enough to have some text convo with my copilot.  very enjoyable.

keep 'em coming, guys!  we need more variety of entertainment!

23 hours ago, Bloodsong Termagant said:

that's an interesting passtime, harmony!  :)

you can busk in london city?  ::taking notes::   do you play an instrument?  do you have to 'really' perform (sing/play) or is scripted performance okay?  ::digging out my 'we will rock you' bagpipes...::

hahhaha, rob!  i do that too.  sometimes.  ;D

i did try out the GTFO.  i like it!  wee wonders put out a free dinkie heckicopter, and i edited it and the scripts... well, i still have to use a messenger bag and the free trial hud so far, but... in an aircraft, the danger of crashing is kinda realistic.  though actually, i haven't crashed the client.  been hit by some no-object-entry parcels and one zero-warning security orb.  but by and large, it's gone well!

it's a bit like sid meier's pirates of the carribean, or uncharted waters online.  but the thing i liked in those games (besides learning a LOT of geography), was you could pick up goods in one port and then find the best other port to sell them for the best profit.  gtfo is a little more simplistic in that respect, but still...  you need some orienteering skills, map-reading, predicting if a fancy home has a security orb, PLUS the skill to land the chopper.

i juiced up the heckicopter speed, but it still travels fairly slowly, enough to have some text convo with my copilot.  very enjoyable.

keep 'em coming, guys!  we need more variety of entertainment!

Really busk, not scripted 😁

• 2 weeks later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 609 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.