To AR Is Human . . .

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 665 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

2 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Or, you know . . . ARs? The topic of this thread.

Weirdly, Belinda's post is one of the most on-topic ones for several pages.

I think we probably reach a point in the "to AR or not to AR discussion" where there wasn't much more that could be constructively added. The remainder of this thread has been entertaining though.

IBTL  😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

On topic: I have a suggestion on how to avoid the temptation to engage or AR: Take a skin, wear it over your skin. Magic: thicker skin!

I'm wearing one right now. 

I think it's unfortunate, but true, that to some degree a thick skin is a prerequisite of any kind of involvement in public discourse.

And it's not just a question of being able to shrug off abusive comments. Sometimes being shown to be wrong about something . . . hurts! Learning hurts, sometimes!

It's sort of like being a soft target. If you're rigid, you're prone to more damage.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

And it's not just a question of being able to shrug off abusive comments. Sometimes being shown to be wrong about something . . . hurts! Learning hurts, sometimes!

It's sort of like being a soft target. If you're rigid, you're prone to more damage.

Perspective is important, too. 

Joking or abuse?

Disagreeing or insulting?

Chatty or Spam? 

If disagreement was read as being attacked, then of course there can be a tendency to lash out at anyone who disagrees, misinterpret reactions, need the last word, etc. I fear there's an "escalation" that happens with some people, leading to AR's and/or "threads being successfully concluded". 

Euphemisms are our friends!

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Perspective is important, too. 

Joking or abuse?

Disagreeing or insulting?

Chatty or Spam? 

If disagreement was read as being attacked, then of course there can be a tendency to lash out at anyone who disagrees, misinterpret reactions, need the last word, etc. I fear there's an "escalation" that happens with some people, leading to AR's and/or "threads being successfully concluded". 

Euphemisms are our friends!

That's another good point. It's also about reading carefully, and, I think, trying to give the benefit of the doubt if there is any ambiguity.

I try to do that. And occasionally, I even succeed!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I think it's unfortunate, but true, that to some degree a thick skin is a prerequisite of any kind of involvement in public discourse.

It is a rare thing to see it acknowledged though even if it happens. Usually both sides just tire of the debate and drop it.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Arielle Popstar said:

It is a rare thing to see it acknowledged though even if it happens. Usually both sides just tire of the debate and drop it.

Well, if a debate becomes particularly heated, then acknowledgment can be especially difficult.

I can name several things that I have been educated about here over the years. Things I now know that I believed and argued that are wrong

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

There is no south pole. The earth is flat just like in the pretty picarature.

Then were does the ocean water go when it gets to the edge?

For that matter, where does the water go in SL when it gets to the edge? It has to go somewhere, or else something is keeping it in place.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Persephone Emerald said:

For that matter, where does the water go in SL when it gets to the edge? It has to go somewhere, or else something is keeping it in place.

I read a bunch of places, the jokey comment that if the Earth were flat, cats would have pushed everything off by now.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

The theory is that Antarctica forms a wall of ice to keep the water in like a big peach tree Petri dish.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

It's frozen so you don't fall off. Or didn't you look at the pretty picaracture. (picture + caricature + character)

As for SL, it doesn't matter because there is an invisible wall before you get to the edge. 

Mime-jogger-invisible-wall.gif

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

It's frozen so you don't fall off. Or didn't you look at the pretty picaracture. (picture + caricature + character)

As for SL, it doesn't matter because there is an invisible wall before you get to the edge. 

Mime-jogger-invisible-wall.gif

Once again, in slow motion.

7gngg.gif

GAUGH! It was supposed to be an edit!

Edited by Silent Mistwalker
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

The theory is that Antarctica forms a wall of ice to keep the water in like a big peach tree Petri dish.

Named after characters on the Dick Van D show! Arrgh!! It's the guy's name! The profanity scrubber is not very useful in this instance. 

Edited by Love Zhaoying

6 hours ago, Persephone Emerald said:

a friend of mine claimed there are whales there at the outer edge. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

Guess someone ARed.that quote!  😂

That's weird, I can't find a couple of the original posts that I quoted and politely replied to, thanking them for their feedback. I guess it is possible they asked the moderators to delete their own posts?

Irony: trying to discuss forum AR's civilly, but karma and dogma intervene. There's a thought: we can only do what we can. (Sounds like a de-Yodafied quote.)

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 665 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.