Road repairs complete

Abnor Mole

Oh wow! I did some d(r)iving on this section a few weeks ago. The underwater ruins and wreckage from the collapsed bridge bridge segment were impressive: I wondered whether they had been created by unlinking an completed bridge and turning all prims to physical. (I hope these were kept in place: it's kinda realistic after all!)

• Like 2

Thanks for the much needed road repair! Is there a wishlist somewhere because the bridge on Fisher's Rest could use some work. Can barely even fit a road vehicle on that old, strangely jagged bridge and it's a pretty major part of Circuit La Corse. :3 http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Fishers Rest/42/148/82 But besides always asking for more, us mainland drivers and explorers really, really appreciate fixes like this to mainland! So thank you, thank you, thank you!

• Like 5

Seeing everyone rush in with other suggestions for "improvements" makes me worry that all the quirky little cool things on Mainland will wind up being paved over. I hope that's not the case, and that those of us who love exploring on foot and finding fun things like the "bridge out" spots will be kept in mind as well. (Please don't pave over the Old Wagon Road, for one example!)

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

Seeing everyone rush in with other suggestions for "improvements" makes me worry that all the quirky little cool things on Mainland will wind up being paved over. I hope that's not the case, and that those of us who love exploring on foot and finding fun things like the "bridge out" spots will be kept in mind as well. (Please don't pave over the Old Wagon Road, for one example!)

I don't think anyone has suggested paving over the Wagon road, there is however a Linden owned route that would connect it to route 8A, that has been clear and protected since 2013. Perhaps putting tarmac along that route would make the transition on to the wagon road a bit incongruous, but I do think some sort of indication it is there like a sign, or some dirt road markings, or even just transfering ownership from Governor Linden and maintenance to LDPWs would be worthwhile.

• Like 2

On 7/8/2022 at 10:31 AM, 4lice Cerise said:

And for more recent road repairs by Abnor Mole check this location:

Stromberg-Varean.thumb.png.415a57f34f632952a1f7b35a3ca00aa4.png

See the red disc in the unpaved Pod Road? Well, this map is no longer current...

* There are a bunch of 1024 m parcels and at least one 2048 m parcel on either side of the new road in Arguilleriers now marked for auction. *

Meanwhile, back at Chiffre Beach, there is a 10 min autoreturn, so plenty of time to rez a car, boat or beach towel.

920004352_ChillinatChiffre-July92022_001.thumb.jpg.be77925b3447d6b5f608ddf36027ef06.jpg

Edited by Persephone Emerald
  • Like 2

Can I suggest that if you see on mainland some road or other thing that you think would be a benefit to the community if it was fixed/improved, then please file a Jira for it rather than simply positing it here.  I, and a few others, have had a lot of success over the past year getting new roads put in via submitting a Jira for them.  Whilst some of the Moles frequent these forums, I'm not sure how many actual Lindens do, so it's better to go via the official route ;)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• Moles

We definitely don't want to lose "all the quirky little cool things." In this case it was less "quirky" and more "broken". The 'jump the bridge' idea worked at the time (2008?). There was even a sign you could use at one time that would cause a hand buried in the road to 'flip' you and your car toward the other side. It was fun and definitely quirky, but it didn't age well with changes to physics and vehicles and region crossings over the years and that feature was disabled. With the rise in interest in pastimes like GTFO it seemed to me like it was time to retire the broken bridge. The benefit to residents in having a more usable vehicle path to the end of Route 8 outweighed the nostalgic value (and any sentimental value for me) in keeping it the way it was. I originally built it and I was the one who proposed the change. 

I'll dig though my inventory and see if I can find that plaque to "Cooter" and put it back out if it was lost in the clean up. ;)  

Edit: I also want to publicly thank llSaharall who put up the signs people could use to rez a temporary bridge to cross. That was an ingenious and selfless act on their part. It is things like that that renew my faith in residents and their belief in community.

Edited by Abnor Mole
Thank you
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 12

1 hour ago, Abnor Mole said:

The benefit to residents in having a more usable vehicle path to the end of Route 8

Next to the recently repaired bridge, Route 8C connects to the mentioned Route 8. It then goes northwest, past region Mawdryn and to region Valeyard, via an underwater stretch. It’s not like the underwater road tunnels on Jeogeot and Bellisseria, it's more like the flooded roads of Gaeta V: But deeper and not landscaped.

Going from there back on the road itself at http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Valeyard/86/154 is very hard, likely impossible for the unexperienced driver. The opposite way, southwards from region Feyador, drivers have to jump into the water and aim for the T-junction at http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Davros/92/76 but that is also not easy. Possible banlines along this underwater tract make it even harder to (litterally) navigate.

(Of course one can offroad between http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Davros/92/76 and http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Dimitrios/14/43, but that’s a different kind of fun, and contingent on the vagaries of available adandoned — or otherwise crossable — land.)

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Ember Ember said:

[...]  bridge on Fisher's Rest [...] Can barely even fit a road vehicle [...]

I actually enjoy this bridge exactly for that challenge. Failed the first 2 or 3 times but nowadays, I can easily pass it with my Iwaki bus. I even once saw someone passing it flawlessly with a tank! 😮

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

How about building a high-level suspension bridge from Sansara across to Bellisseria? After three years, there is still no physical road link between the two continents!  Or if a bridge is too visually intrusive, a road tunnel instead?

The six Elements regions in southern Sansara haven't been used in ages (years?) and could be used for the northern end of the road link.

For the southern end of the road link in Bellisseria,  there's a nicely positioned spit of land at Wheelhouse and Jacinto regions which already has a road very close to it. The road link could then be built from there across the sea to the Elements regions in southern Sansara. And then onwards to link (somehow) to a Linden Route road.

Edited by SarahKB7 Koskinen
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, SarahKB7 Koskinen said:

[...] The six Elements regions in southern Sansara haven't been used in ages (years?) [...]

At least 2 of them - Ruthenium and Osmium, to be precise - will have a little "revival" as in "being used" in August for the NatureCon 2022 event 😊

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Yukiko Yeshto said:

I actually enjoy this bridge exactly for that challenge. Failed the first 2 or 3 times but nowadays, I can easily pass it with my Iwaki bus. I even once saw someone passing it flawlessly with a tank! 😮

That bridge is another favorite of mine! I visit that area regularly to walk around and admire the unique look of the bridge. The whole area is lovely if you like to relax and see the sights (as opposed to flying by in a freight-delivery rush!).

• Like 2

5 hours ago, SarahKB7 Koskinen said:

The six Elements regions in southern Sansara haven't been used in ages (years?)

I rent a small parcel on nearby region Black, since 2-3 years ago, and I often see stuff being rezzed and then soon removed on those six regions (Ruthenium, Rhodium, Palladium, Osmium, Iridium, and Platinum). They are billed as «Special Event Rental Region» / «RENT ME FOR L$4,000 PER DAY».

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SarahKB7 Koskinen said:

For the southern end of the road link in Bellisseria,  there's a nicely positioned spit of land at Wheelhouse and Jacinto regions which already has a road very close to it.

There has been a concerted efforts by residents to link together northwestern Bellisseria to the LL route that goes through regions Mud and Black: Of course the main challenge is the height difference, with terrain there even higher than the infamous southeast Sansara inland lakes with their 60 m water level (my roadside parcel on region Black is landmarked at 107 m alt.).

Check how this is fantastically being done on the southwast corner of region Axel. Alternatively, a smoother slope going through regions Meighen, Ellesmere, and Scandium has been in the works for years now, marred by one intransigent banliner on region Cochran. Both these attempts envisage a ferry link, reaching for respectively, regions Libria and Jacinto.

LL’s own approach, as much as it can be gathered, might be / have been through regions Schell and (possibly) Shawangunk, which would necessitate at least one new region, west of Ruthenium. The road fork at http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Alcona/186/164/110 (bringing this back on topic!) suggests the original plan was to extend southwards, but the protected incline (at/around http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Schell/197/142) is too steep for casual driving.

• Like 2

As someone who is a huge lover and promoter of mainland, I am happy to see fixes and improvements outside of the linden homes areas. I truly hope LL continues to focus on the mainland, maybe even modernize some bits of old sculpties (personal wishlist... i know not all agree, but i can wish). Anyway, either way, thank you Moles for all you do 🙂

Edited by Alexis Crisp
  • Like 6