Thoughts on LL's recent "How to Update Your Avatar's Body" series showcasing brand name mesh bodies.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 700 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

7 minutes ago, Blaise Glendevon said:

The Kario body is like a better Niramith Aesthetic, so I'm surprised it hasn't gotten more traction. 

Ya, I seen them on a billboard at the Inithium Event, plus seen they have a display there as well..

When I seen the billboard I was like, Omg those guys are HAWT!! \o/

I haven't really seen too many of the adds for other male bodies, So I don't know how they compare.

But they did stand out pretty good and have me looking upward to that billboard pretty dang quick.. hehehe

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Blaise Glendevon said:

The Kario body is like a better Niramith Aesthetic, so I'm surprised it hasn't gotten more traction. 

According to a friend who is a RL former body-builder, the Niramith Aesthetic is more realistic than Kario. That doesn't really matter though, if it's next to impossible to find clothes that fit either of these bodies.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

According to a friend who is a RL former body-builder, the Niramith Aesthetic is more realistic than Kario. That doesn't really matter though, if it's next to impossible to find clothes that fit either of these bodies.

It was a thread here about Kario too. And it was pointed out all the wrong way muscles was looking and positioned. It matters for some, while others are okay with a more carton comic muscular male. I think Kario looked hot, so I am one of those who don't know much about bodybuilding. 🤭

The Kario has a good neck fit, so much better than Aesthetic. Using other heads than Aesthetic's own used to be very difficult.

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Marianne Little said:

The Kario has a good neck fit, so much better than Aesthetic. Using other heads than Aesthetic's own used to be very difficult.

This is what I mean by the relative quality of Kario to Aesthetic. The neck fit has been (and still is) a problem, and the skin situation is dire. I don't even know if that body's updated for BOM, and for years you couldn't use a third party skin for it at all.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Persephone Emerald said:

Which reminds me to ask: Why don't mesh body makers partner with or line up clothing makers Make clothes for their bodies, or make some themselves, as Maitreya and Slink, and perhaps others of which I'm not aware, do?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Jennifer Boyle said:

Which reminds me to ask: Why don't mesh body makers partner with or line up clothing makers Make clothes for their bodies, or make some themselves, as Maitreya and Slink, and perhaps others of which I'm not aware, do?

After the way Legacy launched their body, when new bodies launch and don't have strategic placement & partnerships with top brands, I do not understand it. Menswear, of course, is a whole different animal. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Lucia Nightfire said:

Why do I have a feeling there is going to be a long, if not, permanent lull.

I'd be surprised if they do any of the super fetishized bodies like Kupra and Erika. I could see them doing the Belleza bodies, since Freya still has a wide back catalogue of clothes and they're very affordable.

• Like 1

I would like to address what is the real issue for me and that is not what brand they are using in the video, but the fact that the video is inconsistent with the title and what I, the consumer, am after.

It also dances around  a fair bit which left my head spinning.

I love the presentation, love the guys voice, but its all over the place.

It starts out in simple speak with a simple idea, and treats the viewer as a complete novice - excellent. For the first two and half minutes it is gloriously simple and then he says "and since we are combining this body with a mesh head"... ???? whatttt??

Where did this idea come from? We are here to come to grips with putting on the Maitreya body and now he throws in an idea that will cost thousands more $L.

And then the video goes off to lala land and I am left floundering with confused ideas and he flies over critically important subjects that need a video in themselves.

The video is about the Maitreya body. DON'T talk about heads.

He also says we are going to use this skin he bought.

WHY do we need a skin? Please explain, walk the viewer through this idea.

What if we don't want a mesh head, or can't afford it, or have no idea which one would suit us? What if we want to deal with one simple idea at a time, not an avalanche of concepts?

The video needs to take us on a journey of how to put on the Maitreya body and deal with the issue of how one matches the body to the colour of your classic head - because that is going to be a problem for so many consumers. (why there is not a colour picker system available - well, if it exists none of the videos I have watched have shown such a device.)

As a consumer, and novice in this area, I would have preferred the video stick to its goal - of showing how to put on a Maitreya body.

Anyhow, rant over  🙂

Ok, you can all now tell me what a nut job I am and how using a mesh body is the easiest thing in the world. (I suspect its not - just for the record)

Have a lovely day...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Space Zehetbauer said:

I would like to address what is the real issue for me and that is not what brand they are using in the video, but the fact that the video is inconsistent with the title and what I, the consumer, am after.

It starts out in simple speak with a simple idea, and treats the viewer as a complete novice - excellent. For the first two and half minutes it is gloriously simple and then he says "and since we are combining this body with a mesh head"... ???? whatttt??

Where did this idea come from? We are here to come to grips with putting on the Maitreya body and now he throws in an idea that will cost thousands more $L.

And then the video goes off to lala land and I am left floundering with confused ideas and he flies over critically important subjects that need a video in themselves.

What if we don't want a mesh head, or can't afford it, or have no idea which one would suit us? What if we want to deal with one simple idea at a time, not an avalanche of concepts?

The video needs to take us on a journey of how to put on the Maitreya body and deal with the issue of how one matches the body to the colour of your classic head - because that is going to be a problem for so many consumers. (why there is not a colour picker system available - well, if it exists none of the videos I have watched have shown such a device.)

As a consumer, and novice in this area, I would have preferred the video stick to its goal - of showing how to put on a Maitreya body.

Anyhow, rant over  🙂

Ok, you can all now tell me what a nut job I am and how using a mesh body is the easiest thing in the world. (I suspect its not - just for the record)

Have a lovely day...

I think he mentions about having a mesh head video also that he probably links in the description.. I can't remember that video much hehehe.

Just pay attention to the body part of it..  I believe he goes back over the talking points with a list at times too..

I'd just keep the video on hand as I was doing those things once I went to go and do them, then just pause and roll back as I needed..

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Space Zehetbauer said:

Anyhow, rant over  🙂

Have a lovely day...

You're right. He should focus just on the bodies and tell people (newbies) how to match the body skin to their system skin. Send him a note (inworld or to his YouTube account) to tell him. The video is fine for people who know how to do this stuff already, but it's not simple enough for newbies who might not want to buy a mesh head.

• Like 1

Before I got less active in SL, I spent a lot of time as a mod helping people with their Maitreya body in the Maitreya Lara Friends group. We oftentimes got asked questions about mesh heads as well. You know what I found funny. Those who seemed to have the most reluctance in buying a mesh head were not the noobies .. it was the old timers who were so attached to their system heads. Honestly, I quite often tried talking the noobies out of getting a mesh head before getting used to using a mesh body, but they didn't want to wait. Some even seemed a bit annoyed that I suggested they get used to the body before getting a head. They often replied they wanted to learn it all at once and get it over with ... so ya just never know. 

I watched the video on the Legacy body, feeling as though I already know the Maitreya backwards and forwards, I thought the way he briefly mentioned the head was a good thing. Honestly, I think those videos are only an introduction. Seems like a good way to get introduced to a variety of mesh bodies. But if a person really needs help using the body of their choice there are lots of videos available that go into great detail. I like the idea of the videos personally.

Edited by Blush Bravin
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Not sure what to make of this, but . . . both of the leading mesh bodies for women seem to be taking it on the chin from users right now.

Maitreya is literally getting picketed (lol) for not updating. (Who says activism is dead?) And I'm seeing a lot of griping on Twitter about it.

And grumbling about Legacy (something about not allowing certain mods? Furry mods? Squishy boobs? Something?) has been tearing through my stream recently too.

Summat's afoot out thaa boot ar don't knah wahr.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Not sure what to make of this, but . . . both of the leading mesh bodies for women seem to be taking it on the chin from users right now.

Maitreya is literally getting picketed (lol) for not updating. (Who says activism is dead?) And I'm seeing a lot of griping on Twitter about it.

And grumbling about Legacy (something about not allowing certain mods? Furry mods? Squishy boobs? Something?) has been tearing through my stream recently too.

Summat's afoot out thaa boot ar don't knah wahr.

The comments on the Youtube video are suspect as all get out, too. Three almost identical comments calling Maitreya "the most outdated" body and shilling for Legacy. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Blaise Glendevon said:

The comments on the Youtube video are suspect as all get out, too. Three almost identical comments calling Maitreya "the most outdated" body and shilling for Legacy. 

Yeah. I don't do conspiracy theories on the whole (unless they involve Elon Musk, cuz those are just a hoot), but there's been a pretty abrupt shakeup in the last . . . two months? All of a sudden, stores not rigging for what is still by far the most popular women's body? Flame wars on social media. "Protests"? I mean, seriously guys . . . get a grip.

It may just be drama-mongers, I suppose, but I am finding it a bit hard to believe that this is all just spontaneous.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Ceka Cianci said:

I didn't post on page one.. You'll find mine on page two..

I think  the only thing I talked about, is why they might have went with Maitreya over the others for that video.. I believe it was because of over all consistent reliability..

I think you have me confused with someone else.

So ya, I'm not embarrassed at all.. :D

I wasn't talking about you specifically ;) 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

This was TMP allegedly refusing to give out their devkit to clothiers who also create furry items, because they don't want their body to be used by furries, which is just another bizarre decision in a very long series for them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, Space Zehetbauer said:

Anyhow, rant over  🙂

Have a lovely day...

If you use BOM (Bakes-On-Mesh) the mesh body will use exactly the same skin as your system head does. Any differences will come down to either tricks of lighting or your skin not being made well.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 700 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.