Dumbest Ads In The World

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 710 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

On 6/8/2022 at 3:15 AM, LittleMe Jewell said:

Apparently in the early 1900s people typically bathed once a week (probably on Sat evening so they were clean for Sunday church)

When I was a kid in the 1970's the fire which heated water was lit on a good christmas day and the electric immersion heater was switched on for no more than an hour most sundays to run a lukewarm bath . I guess my mum used the proper hot water leaving me and my sister to fight over who washed in the last of it first .

Wonder if that plays any part in my not exactly immunity to the annual belly bugs and colds that put everyone around me in bed for a day or two but rather annoys me as a minor inconvenience .

Or it could be my mums universal cure for everything "if your not fit enough for school then your not fit enough to eat - plenty of water in the tap" lol , learned from her parents without a doubt .

Smiles , I loved heavy rain because in Britain the sea or rivers are never warm and the rain gave me an excuse to return home dripping wet through because i hadn't enjoyed a fantastic day adventuring jumping off cliffs into the sea or or seeing how many miles i could walk , crawl , climb , swim upriver without leaving the water " honest mum i been down the park its not my fault its raining"  😇

3 minutes ago, cunomar said:

Wonder if that plays any part in my not exactly immunity to the annual belly bugs and colds that put everyone around me in bed for a day or two but rather annoys me as a minor inconvenience .

Nah, you're just doing it wrong.

"Oh no I have a sniffle" do you 

1. Struggle though it, like the tough solider you are.
  2. Gleefully celebrate a free extra day off to yourself *cough sneeze* oh dear .. 

:D

• Like 2

On 6/7/2022 at 2:45 PM, Luna Bliss said:

Annoying, and reminds me of something I saw in Mexico a lot -- coke in baby bottles  :(

ad child cola.jpg

Omg are you absolutely kidding me.Coca cola contained cocaine back then along with the rest of the crap.Recommended diet.These ads are a reflection of society and what was acceptable at that time.Thank goodness some things have changed.The one with the foot on the head I'm floored.Never saw these ads.Smoking was portrayed as elite,glamorous and made you one of the crowd.Very interesting.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, junique Tigerfish said:

Omg are you absolutely kidding me.Coca cola contained cocaine back then along with the rest of the crap.Recommended diet.These ads are a reflection of society and what was acceptable at that time.Thank goodness some things have changed.The one with the foot on the head I'm floored.Never saw these ads.Smoking was portrayed as elite,glamorous and made you one of the crowd.Very interesting.

Beginning from the mid-70s, consumer and health advocates began to target baby formula companies, and in particular Nestlé, for their marketing of baby formula in the developing world, especially in Africa. Women were being encouraged -- and subtly mislead to believe that they were doing the right thing -- to give up breast feeding and use commercial formula instead. The result was a measurable increase in infant mortality, because of course formula is NOT as healthy as breast milk, but also because most of these women were too poor to afford to use it properly -- it was being diluted, often with contaminated water (because they didn't have ready access to clean water) to make it last longer.

Beginning in the 80s, Nestlé in particular became the subject of boycotts because of its African marketing campaigns. They are still being scrutinized carefully, because they're still trying to push it in the developing world.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, junique Tigerfish said:

Omg are you absolutely kidding me.Coca cola contained cocaine back then along with the rest of the crap.Recommended diet

The ad was a spoof, made in the 2000's - see my post in this thread.  The ad never existed.

Coca cola never contained cocaine, which is a concentrated extract from the coco leaf. The trivial amounts of coca leaf in coke was eliminated by the company starting in 1903.  They kept the caffeine and sugar of course, and the high acid content of coke still present today.  Dentists love coke, since it can dissolve your teeth enamel and promote bacterial tooth decay.  It's a good rust remover and soldering flux too.  

Edited by Jaylinbridges
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, junique Tigerfish said:

That was a fake advertisement. There has never been a "Soda Pop Board of America". 

http://hoaxes.org/weblog/comments/start_cola_earlier_says_the_soda_pop_board_of_america

• Like 2

On 6/12/2022 at 3:04 AM, junique Tigerfish said:
On 6/7/2022 at 3:45 PM, Luna Bliss said:

Annoying, and reminds me of something I saw in Mexico a lot -- coke in baby bottles  :(

ad child cola.jpg

Expand  

That one is a fake, but here are some real vintage ads advertising soda to babies and kids:

https://grist.org/article/food-vintage-soda-ads-can-you-spot-the-fake/

Unfortunately the problem of advertising sugary stuff to kids has only marginally changed via much pressure on the soda companies. They don't directly market to kids but found loopholes to advertise indirectly, and obesity and diabetes are at epidemic levels due to their connection with excessive sugar consumption   :(

I know there was success with getting the junk food vendors out of schools in many cases, but don't know what the status is currently with these efforts.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

It's cause she jusss got back from hangin with Carl over thar at thu nervous hospital and needs some, nervine cure.

That's a whut I'mma thinkin anyways.

Yeah, no more 'Carls' messing things up, no more noisy kids tearing up themselves and the house in the background.  All is well in the world.

nervine kids.jpg

35 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

They're the ones who know it never existed. 

One of my great uncles' nickname was Soda Pop.

Maybe my parents used to spell it out in front of me, for some reason at an early age I thought  it was pronounced "S-O-D-A Soda pop".

On 6/7/2022 at 10:16 PM, Luna Bliss said:

This one is super dumb:

woman ad virginia slims.jpeg

No Ad is dumb. Every ad is amazing in it's own way. They are meant for people to see them. It's called an Ad for a reason. :D Ads are very helpful. All ads are very helpful. So take your words back !! ;) 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 710 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.