1 second Orb timing, is it necessary

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 761 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Just now, Solar Legion said:

No, I am not "wrong" on this - The Sailing estates and Blake sea are privately owned.

Blake Sea regions are not part of the estates, they are owned and run by LL. Much like ocean regions around Nautilus or south of Corsica. Actually most of the ocean regions all around mainland are owned and operated by LL. Around Blake Sea there is a kind of public private partnership regulating use of both the private estates and the LL seas which have to adhere to a certain set of rules, a covenant if you so want. But this is not a give outside the Blake Sea, those areas operate by standard mainland rules for common lands respective seas.

Point is that people travel, roam, explore for years on mainland. Another point is that I can not really see people arguing for a right to barge into actual homes anywhere. And if we apply analogies from RL, I do not expect to be shot down by some irate home owner because I'd be on track between some sports plane airstrip and the next. We have a lot of rights on our mainland properties and a right to privacy is one I regard highly. But I still tend to believe that mainland could be a much better place for everyone and thus for SL at large if we would start to accept some kind of responsibility going with the privileges. Cooperation instead of "cuz I can".

Yes, I'm a part time idealist.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Codex Alpha said:

"Because it's their land" in RL wouldn't allow a landowner to blow someone away on their land, with no warning, or before a reasonable request to leave the property (then give them reasonable time to do so) - and every court of law will back this up. Being a landowner isn't a license to blow people away.

Let's not get extreme now, no need to "blow someone away".  

May I suggest a "fence" in RL?  Or maybe a house with walls.  Funny, how RL has things that prevent people from oh, I dunno, invading your privacy.

"Note: 'Blowing someone away' voids your Second Life No-Fault Insurance Policy."

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

That's nice.

Don't care.

This is not RL, the parcel owner has (outside of Belli and some Private Estates) the final say on who has access to their parcel. No one outside of Linden Lab or the Estate Owner has any sort of say in how a person chooses to set parcel access.

No. One.

Edited by Solar Legion
Punctuation
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, Codex Alpha said:

There is no reason why you should have to adjust your use of SL, especially if you pay for it, to what amounts as LESS service than what you had previously, and many people lose out on opportunities, eg.

That store owner you com across as you explore.

That affordable land rental/purchase that you may never have known about.

The fun of exploring and finding new things and new people to meet.

Instead, We could just create an easy solution that will work out for everyone;

1) Limit eject orbs to a minimum delay time (of 15 seconds) and fair people can use 30 seconds.

I'm not over with mainland, I own a small place in Sansara, and sometimes I still wander around, mainly in the older part, there are always things to discover :) you're absolutely right in this. But if I want to go boating or horse-ridding, yes, Belli is the place. And yes, I like it and have a couple of houses there (me and my alt).  

The thing is, people have the right to set an orb to zero, I don't like it and don't agree but it shouldn't change, they got their land with that right. As I said, 15 years inworld and never used any of that, obnoxious people get banned, ocasional wanderers not. I had some wasps though, just reserved for griefers

• Like 3

I've TP'd to outdated landmarks and accidentally stumbled across a residential boundary here and there and got yeeted home with 0 warning. One person had an orb set up that actually cursed me out and gave me massive attitude!!! HMPF!

hmph.gif

I got over it pretty fast, though. I guess I'm not really seeing the issue.

• Thanks 4
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, Solar Legion said:

No, I am not "wrong" on this - The Sailing estates and Blake sea are privately owned.

I'm not sure why this matters, but… Really? The landowner, "Blake Sea", is a Linden-owned group. Do we really think a private estate is paying tier on Blake Sea - Windlass for example, or - Turnbuckle, where the content is Mole-created and owned by Governor Linden?

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Qie Niangao said:

I'm not sure why this matters, but… Really? The landowner, "Blake Sea", is a Linden-owned group. Do we really think a private estate is paying tier on Blake Sea - Windlass for example, or - Turnbuckle, where the content is Mole-created and owned by Governor Linden?

Like I said above.

I don't really care on the specifics there.

• Haha 3

Just now, Solar Legion said:

Like I said above.

I don't really care on the specifics there.

I don't get why people are getting up in a huff about someone elses orb, set by the owner of the orb. All because they ain't accommodating my demands. Lol 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

10 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

I've TP'd to outdated landmarks and accidentally stumbled across a residential boundary here and there and got yeeted home with 0 warning. One person had an orb set up that actually cursed me out and gave me massive attitude!!! HMPF!

hmph.gif

I got over it pretty fast, though. I guess I'm not really seeing the issue.

Well Ayashe, the trauma caused by such an experience is listed in the manual of psychiatric disorders (DSM-IV), a diagnosis named 'Land Rejection Trauma', classified under a subsection of PTSD (post traumatic stress disorder). Some need medication to recover fully, but many are unable to overcome the trauma and are forever stuck in place like a ghosted avatar, never to move and explore again.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Luna Bliss said:

Well Ayashe, the trauma caused by such an experience is listed in the manual of psychiatric disorders (DSM-IV), a diagnosis named 'Land Rejection Trauma', classified under a subsection of PTSD (post traumatic stress disorder). Some need medication to recover fully, but many are unable to overcome the trauma and are forever stuck in place like a ghosted avatar, never to move and explore again.

No real talk - getting cursed out by an orb before getting sent home kinda did hurt my feelings a bit, LMAO. Just didn't expect it. Then I got mad because it never occurred to me to be that creative with my own security (I'm not that mean, though). 😂

• Like 1

While everyone has been in here. I happened to overhear through the grapevine, That someone snuk into all you places and took all you popsicles!! \o/

Also since I'm already in the forum and really don't want to start another thread for something that can get simply answered here.

A friend of mine was wondering if anyone in here knows where someone might be able to buy a really big fridge?

Thanks ahead of time. :D

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:

No, I think you do them a grave disservice by suggesting SL Mainland is appropriate to their situation, all they need is an orb, especially if "accommodating" them reinforces their sensitivity, as it almost certainly would.

So paying to rent someplace as opposed to buying a mainland plot and not having to pay rent?  If you have social anxiety you must pay over and above your premium membership.  Not sure how that will fly.

Edited by Rowan Amore
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

57 minutes ago, Codex Alpha said:

"Because it's their land" in RL wouldn't allow a landowner to blow someone away on their land, with no warning, or before a reasonable request to leave the property (then give them reasonable time to do so) - and every court of law will back this up. Being a landowner isn't a license to blow people away.

I'm not sure where you're from. Let me assure you, if a naked man showed up in my living room in RL saying he wanted to get to know me, the laws here would back me on blowing him away. However, I'm not taking such drastic action in SL. All I'm doing is removing someone who did not accidentally wander in. If he doesn't like where he lands, too bad.

• Like 8
  • Confused 1

17 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

So paying to rent someplace as opposed to buying a mainland plot and not having to pay rent?  If you have social anxiety you must pay over and above your premium membership.  Not sure how that will fly.

Reminding me, on the "anxiety / depression" thread someone suggested "desensitization".  That's what we need, desensitization!

4 minutes ago, Ayla Evergarden said:

I'm not sure where you're from. Let me assure you, if a naked man showed up in my living room in RL saying he wanted to get to know me, the laws here would back me on blowing him away. However, I'm not taking such drastic action in SL. All I'm doing is removing someone who did not accidentally wander in. If he doesn't like where he lands, too bad.

Maybe he's not familiar with Florida or Texas. 😂

Kidding kidding just my dark sense of humor at work. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:
6 minutes ago, Ayla Evergarden said:

Expand  

Maybe he's not familiar with Florida or Texas. 😂

Kidding kidding just my dark sense of humor at work. 

Indeed    :)

guns republicans Kay Ivey.jpg

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Love Zhaoying said:

It's real in Florida, "Stand Your Ground" law.

I've watched way too many criminal trials where SYG was at the center of things. But that's way off topic, so I'll behave!

As Coffee said, orb security is nothing at all like that anyway. Not sure how real life property got into this discussion anyway. Wasn't me I'm innocent! 😇

42 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

Again, I'm not arguing for any changes. This is how it is right now. For privacy worth having (and even then with serious limitations, as I've said), one must be on an Estate and, really, should own an entire region so access can truly be controlled and location concealed from prying passersby. On Mainland, it's just a weird pretend "privacy" that some folks think is valuable and anything less is unacceptable, but it's all merely cosmetic.

Yes, I'm a Mainland owner, and yes, I think setting up Mainland this way and giving Mainland customers this lame delusion of privacy was a stupid, stupid mistake. That doesn't mean I myself harbor any delusions that it can or should be changed now. But it's simply irresponsible to suggest Mainland to anybody seeking privacy.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Ceka Cianci said:

A friend of mine was wondering if anyone in here knows where someone might be able to buy a really big fridge?

Thanks ahead of time. :D

Hm.  Good question.  Need more specifics to be able to answer though.. like, a fridge large enough to hide one body?  Or a dozen?  Or?  🤔  

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Codex Alpha said:

No one is making a case to remove your preference for privacy. Not one person.

What has been presented is a request to set your orb to a reasonable eject delay, and for LL to disallow one user sending another user home as they can lose their place moving about and exploring on the Mainland during legitimate, non-malicious activity (which the overwhelming majority of SL'ers do). Sniping your fellow SL'ers and tp'ing them home without warning is not reasonable.

Well then, allow me to retort.

I've had randos intrude and start talking, on voice, acting as though they belonged. Acting as my family and I weren't in our private home. My home is not on any roadside, it's not by any clubs, etc.. It's on the other side of an Italian looking town (that's housed on the other side of a mountain range wall), and has no access to roads or anything. Therefor, there is ZERO reason for people to come, uninvited.

Would you have me allow some random stranger intrude into MY safe space, encroaching upon our privacy, that they may intrude where they are not welcome, just because it's not their parcel? What, then, if someone intruded entry at your RL home's door? What if some random stranger came barging into your house, on whatever street you live, in whatever city, on whatever continent in this world? Would you just accept that "Oh this person was just passing through, may as well let them be comfortable and not have them leave as soon as possible if not sooner" hmm?

My home has no roads by it, no water ways, not even an airport nearby. There is no welcome mat for randos. Randos, Codex, are not permitted on my parcel. 

I've literally had one rando come into my home, while enjoying time with my family, and start talking. He took a seat, and started acting like he owned our home. That we were somehow his guests. Started hitting on us. I've had other randos intrude entry as well, and when asked to leave, they refused or ignored it. So, then, why should I allow them entry that they may disrupt our peace? Why, then, shall they be given quarter and allowed to intrude, despite being repeatedly told to leave? 

I'm a friendly person, however, intruders uninvited are not welcome, nor will they ever be.

Once again, my home is not on any roadways, airways, or waterways, therefor there is no reason for the randos that wander the mainland to come to my home. 

Also, if my security orb is on my parcel, it only affects those on my parcel that aren't on the allowed list. Therefor, no one is being "sniped" 

To intrude and ignore being told, repeatedly, to leave, that you are unauthorized and are not welcome, and expect not to be ejected is not reasonable.

Edited by LunaRavencroft
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 5
  • Confused 1

20 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

Again, I'm not arguing for any changes. This is how it is right now. For privacy worth having (and even then with serious limitations, as I've said), one must be on an Estate and, really, should own an entire region so access can truly be controlled and location concealed from prying passersby. On Mainland, it's just a weird pretend "privacy" that some folks think is valuable and anything less is unacceptable, but it's all merely cosmetic.

Yes, I'm a Mainland owner, and yes, I think setting up Mainland this way and giving Mainland customers this lame delusion of privacy was a stupid, stupid mistake. That doesn't mean I myself harbor any delusions that it can or should be changed now. But it's simply irresponsible to suggest Mainland to anybody seeking privacy.

The issue isn't whether an extreme type of privacy you decided to make the discussion about exists. The issue is how many seconds any individual needs to set their privacy orb at on the Mainland to feel like they have a reasonable amount of privacy.
This amount needs to be something they decide, and your whining about how Mainland can't be private and insisting that people live at a private estate where they likely could not afford the price is beside the point.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

On 5/30/2022 at 12:57 PM, Codex Alpha said:
On 5/30/2022 at 10:52 AM, Coffee Pancake said:

If you're renting mainland, a security orb is your only option as you do not have access to parcel controls at all. How many seconds do you want to tolerate Mr-Rando-Nopants sitting on your bed before yeeting him into the sun.

yeah "IF" this "IF' that, and seriously how many times has this little story you type actually happened to you? Once? in 2004?

Once again, no one was arguing to remove your Orb, since it seems that YOUR second life experience is rife with harassment, creeps and victimhood.

I get the impression you really don't believe women are being harassed.

Yet later on in the thread you appear to be so understanding and reasonable.

Who are you?

2 hours ago, Coffee Pancake said:

Oh please, this isn't about everyone and an amicable solution, it's about demanding the right to roam SL without boundary.

The push back to your ideas in this thread alone are a storm in a teacup next to the mayhem that would be dumped on LL's door should they change the rules to facilitate this entitled nonsense. 

SECOND LIFE - Your World! Your Imagination! AND Some guy unironically using Alpha as his last name.

Some posts are worth requoting.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 761 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.