1 second Orb timing, is it necessary

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 716 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

7 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

With practice, cattle develop the ability to "smell" when the electric fencer is on. I imagine it must be tiny hairs around their noses that they can brush against the wire and wait to see if it tingles.

Even if it's on it won't slow a bull down much that wants to get on the other side.. hehehehe

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

lol It's so funny when someone tests an electric fence to see if it's on.. Most don't know it's just a pulse and not a constant current..

Oh yea, We're good, it's offfuuuuuuuuuuuuddddge!!!

Except my horses, they time it exactly right 🤯🙈

1446FF0F-4E1F-41FC-AA93-294DA297603A.jpeg

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Krystina Ferraris said:

Except my horses, they time it exactly right 🤯🙈

1446FF0F-4E1F-41FC-AA93-294DA297603A.jpeg

What's funny is, they are always testing the fences.. When one will get out and the others stay in there.. Then that ones walking the fence line until ya put'em back.  hehehehe

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Haha 1

Just now, Ceka Cianci said:

What's funny is, they are always testing the fences.. When one will get out and the others stay in there.. Then that ones walking the fence line until ya put'em back.  hehehehe

Exactly!! and that grey is particularly bold, a true escape artist! I avoid giving him young field mates as he teaches them all the naughty stuff haha 😆🐴

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Solar Legion said:

Let's get one thing clear, hmm? You do not have any right whatsoever to your explorations - none. if you are not paying for the parcel, your access to it is at the behest/whim of the one that is paying for it (or to the good graces of Linden Lab in the event of it not being set to 'ownership' by a user).

I suggested to jira a while back to have some sort of map overlay letting residents know where the linden public spaces including air, land, and waterway paths. I did by some miracle fly from bay city to bellisseria just my avatar I would not attempt with a sit on vehicle. Took a few try's but made it. 

When i'm out on my hoverboard and I hit a ban line I get stuck and have to get off the hoverboard, sometimes the board is not returned (which is fine it's copy) i'll zip past the same area months later and I get script errors or some sort of error saying something about past vehicles in some unknown limbo out there. I suggested also to jira that scripted vehicles or any scripted object not be killed when hitting the ban lines you should be able to bound off of them (when in vehicle) plus that would open up having scripted fully autonomous ai wild life birds flying around without hitting boundaries instead of looping (maybe collectables). I think that would be so neat letting some birds fly around a sandbox and not having them freeze when they hit the boundary they just turn around and keep flying. 

Ban lines are silly I think it's creeper having someone cam into a parcel and not knowing who's watching (cause I don't use the look at thing to see who's looking). vs seeing an avatar. I'm guilty of caming in linden homes (random while empty of owners) few times to show family linden homes and yards and like peak inside furnishings. I don't do that on regular basis and never cam'd past a ban line, it's not even worth the effort.

Ceka is on to something with her parcel body guard shotgun nuke idea. if cam goes over parcel boundary blank screen the cam. ? I've had dogs chase me before (only in a sandbox) but have to script something that would annoy someone entering parcel. If this person enters parcel spawn dogs or scary avatars to surround them or make them not feel welcome and eventually they will leave. 

Edited by Paulsian
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Paulsian said:

Ceka is on to something with her parcel body guard shotgun nuke idea. if cam goes over parcel boundary blank screen the cam. ? I've had dogs chase me before (only in a sandbox) but have to script something that would annoy someone entering parcel. If this person enters parcel spawn dogs or scary avatars to surround them or make them not feel welcome and eventually they will leave. 

Use to have some later turrets that did that .. it had the opposite effect.

The jerks would come back, with friends.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Sammy Huntsman said:

So basically LL would be able to control how we use our orbs? I honestly don't get that. I mean that would be like letting the government have full control of our security systems. And I mean again it is really up to the user of the Orb how they feel the person should be dealt with. But your solution isn't reasonable, give LL total control over what we can and can't do with our orbs. I mean yeah there could be some sort of common courtesy. But I for one don't want LL having control over my Orb and how I choose to set it. 

My position was not to give LL 'full control' of your orbs. However if 0 seconds and insta-bans are severely disrupting the enjoyment or reasonable traversal of "MAINLAND' (aka PUBLIC ACCESS) lands, then actions need to be taken.

Just because they could consider regulating it or limiting it to a more reasonable delay, doesn't mean it's the end of the world. I would hope and think that people could be reasonable and fair, but as you can see most are not, and are happy to enact 0 second ejects (to their HOME) and even insta-bans without blinking an eye.

So who wins the argument? A paying customer vs a paying customer and all things equal?

My solutions IS reasonable: Disallow 0 second ejects, limit to a more reasonable delay (15-30 seconds), and eject to a nearby parcel or friendly reserved area in the region so they don't lose their place.

I have yet to still read a reasonable counterargument to this or a counter solution that could solve this issue.

48 minutes ago, Sammy Huntsman said:

I mean yeah there could be some sort of common courtesy.

Isn't that what we all want? So why does it have to be all or nothing?

Edited by Codex Alpha
  • Like 4
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

Use to have some later turrets that did that .. it had the opposite effect.

The jerks would come back, with friends.

I was going to mention giving all the female avatars a cell phone with a sun gun attachment so they could stun creeps bothering them but everyone would end up stunning each other for fun lol. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Codex Alpha said:

My position was not to give LL 'full control' of your orbs. However if 0 seconds and insta-bans are severely disrupting the enjoyment or reasonable traversal of "MAINLAND' (aka PUBLIC ACCESS) lands, then actions need to be taken.

Just because they could consider regulating it or limiting it to a more reasonable delay, doesn't mean it's the end of the world. I would hope and think that people could be reasonable and fair, but as you can see most are not, and are happy to enact 0 second ejects (to their HOME) and even insta-bans without blinking an eye.

So who wins the argument? A paying customer vs a paying customer and all things equal?

My solutions IS reasonable: Disallow 0 second ejects, limit to a more reasonable delay (15-30 seconds), and eject to a nearby parcel or friendly reserved area in the region so they don't lose their place.

Okay I see your point, but I mean private parcels on Mainland aren't public access anymore. I mean I am totally fine with giving someone 30 seconds. But don't think that is how everyone is gonna be. Also again, it is up to the orb users choice, to where they choose to send you. That being said, all these things you said earlier seemed more like a demand than kindly asking people to be courteous and to think about others. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Codex Alpha said:

Good then we agree.

Doesn't mean that everyone has to agree to it. I just do it, cause I used to fly and sail on the Blake. And knew how annoying it was to get the whole hit that orb and bam you go flying or you go home and you can't find your boat or plane. 

1 minute ago, Paulsian said:

I was going to mention giving all the female avatars a cell phone with a sun gun attachment so they could stun creeps bothering them but everyone would end up stunning each other for fun lol. 

I have no interest in messing with people. When I'm home, I'm most often involved in something artsy (decorating or photography, usually) and don't really feel like pulling myself away from that perfect shot to chase down and stun an intruder, lol.

That plus - I'm not always a female avatar, so how would that even work? 😂

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Coffee Pancake said:

It's not scanning every second, its just setting a one second timer to issue the command to remove a specific avatar.

that was really send me back home instantly. arrived there and sent me back no more than 3 second. 

Edited by Milissa Rossini
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

I have no interest in messing with people. When I'm home, I'm most often involved in something artsy (decorating or photography, usually) and don't really feel like pulling myself away from that perfect shot to chase down and stun an intruder, lol.

That plus - I'm not always a female avatar, so how would that even work? 😂

You need a more automatic system. If you skip to 3:00 something like this might work for your situation. 

1 hour ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

Even though I know it is a pulse I still sometimes get the urge. 🤭

I was on Mac's roof yesterday, for spring cleaning. As I climbed over the peak, heading towards the gutter, the little voice way in the back of my head suggested I take a running leap. Once I'd settled into a crouch to scoop out the muck, the voice kept nagging me to just roll over the edge.

Honestly, there's nobody more dangerous to me than me.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, Codex Alpha said:

severely disrupting the enjoyment or reasonable traversal of "MAINLAND' (aka PUBLIC ACCESS) lands, then actions need to be taken.

Mainland is only public access in that there are public roads and waterways, if you're not on those, you don't have right of way, you don't have any rights at all because you're on private property.

Getting capslock angry and aggressive about it doesn't help your case.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Paulsian said:

You need a more automatic system. If you skip to 3:00 something like this might work for your situation. 

My regular orb works great, though. I'm not looking to change it as I'm not on mainland and don't have to account for people traveling around with vehicles (I'm just over 3200m in the air on my current plot). 

22 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

I was on Mac's roof yesterday, for spring cleaning. As I climbed over the peak, heading towards the gutter, the little voice way in the back of my head suggested I take a running leap. Once I'd settled into a crouch to scoop out the muck, the voice kept nagging me to just roll over the edge.

Most people aren't really aware they're the most dangerous to themselves. Thankfully, there are a few of us that are aware.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

Mainland is only public access in that there are public roads and waterways, if you're not on those, you don't have right of way, you don't have any rights at all because you're on private property.

Getting capslock angry and aggressive about it doesn't help your case.

it's kinda like Real Life. Where you live is public access, but stores and homes are considered private property. And if they don't want you in there. They can tell you to leave. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

Satan tried to get Jesus to jump, too! According to the story.

7 hours ago, Milissa Rossini said:

I checked about the sea path from Blake Sea to the new Linden Home's land today.

It appears that the OP assumed that it might be possible to travel by boat from the Blake Sea to Bellisseria. Regardless of the orb situation, such a journey is not possible due to lack of continuous water from the Blake to Bellisseria. This can be remedied by adding additional regions, however, LL has made no commitment to do this.

6 hours ago, Coffee Pancake said:

We need a robust overhaul of parcel security that makes orbs redundant.

Bingo! Gimme some cream with that coffee!

The worst that should happen to an avatar who "violates" private property is that that they are denied access. If relocated, it should be no further than their last location prior to entering the private property. If in a vehicle, it should be no worse than bouncing off an end-of-world region edge.

As to the current situation, I strongly support governance getting involved when people set "booby traps"... things like banlines adjacent to  protected water or roadways. Also, short fuse orbs can be booby traps.

There is also the issue of understaffed governance. Orb violations remain in Bellisseria, even when ARed.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 716 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.