What don't you know about in Second Life?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 770 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

16 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

there is only ONE universal particle script in SL.

Despite how simple the basic script is, I constantly run into people passing me variations(so that I can fix it to do the thing they want) that have been artificially complicated.

FWIW Here's my base particle script, a link to the wiki and my off-the-top-of-my-head checklist of most common problems people have with particles

{   state_entry()
    {   llParticleSystem(
        [   PSYS_PART_FLAGS,
                //PSYS_PART_BOUNCE_MASK|  // particles 'bounce' when falling down to the z=0; plane relative to root.
                //PSYS_PART_EMISSIVE_MASK| // fullbright particles
                //PSYS_PART_FOLLOW_SRC_MASK| //follow source, but disable burst radius.
                //PSYS_PART_FOLLOW_VELOCITY_MASK | // particles point their 'up' towards their heading.
                PSYS_PART_INTERP_COLOR_MASK | //color and alpha change over the particle's lifetime.
                PSYS_PART_INTERP_SCALE_MASK| //particle size/scale changes over the particle's lifetime. 
                PSYS_PART_RIBBON_MASK |
                //PSYS_PART_TARGET_LINEAR_MASK | // straight line between src and target.
                //PSYS_PART_TARGET_POS_MASK | // particles attracted to target.
                //PSYS_PART_WIND_MASK |
                0, // makes (un)commenting easier.
/*------------------------------------------------------------------------------------*/
//System Presentation
            PSYS_SRC_PATTERN, //chose one of the following
                //PSYS_SRC_PATTERN_EXPLODE,
                PSYS_SRC_PATTERN_ANGLE_CONE,
                //PSYS_SRC_PATTERN_ANGLE ,
                //PSYS_SRC_PATTERN_DROP ,
                //PSYS_SRC_PATTERN_ANGLE_CONE_EMPTY, // questionable implementation.
            PSYS_SRC_BURST_RADIUS, 0.05, // float value
            PSYS_SRC_ANGLE_BEGIN, 0.0,// range 0 to PI
            PSYS_SRC_ANGLE_END, 0.0, // range 0 to PI.
            //PSYS_SRC_TARGET_KEY,
                //llGetKey(), // Key of the Target object.
/*------------------------------------------------------------------------------------*/
//Particle Appearance
            PSYS_PART_START_COLOR, <1.0,   0.25,    0.5>,
            PSYS_PART_END_COLOR, <1.0,   1.0,    1.0>,
            PSYS_PART_START_ALPHA, 1.0, // 1.0 - 0.0 ; opaque to transparent.
            PSYS_PART_END_ALPHA, 1.0,
            PSYS_PART_START_SCALE, <0.75,   0.75,    0.0>, // z is ignored.
            PSYS_PART_END_SCALE, <0.75,   0.75,    0.0>, // z is ignored.
            PSYS_SRC_TEXTURE, TEXTURE_BLANK, // texture must be a UUID or in the emitter prim's inventory.
            PSYS_PART_START_GLOW, 0.02, // range 0.0 to 1.0
            PSYS_PART_END_GLOW, 0.00,
//Particle Flow
            PSYS_SRC_MAX_AGE, 0.0, // how long to have the emitter on.
            PSYS_PART_MAX_AGE, 8.0, // range 0.0 to 30.0
            PSYS_SRC_BURST_RATE, 0.017, // 0.0 to inf. Ammount of time between particle bursts.
            PSYS_SRC_BURST_PART_COUNT, 1, // number of particles per burst (an integer)
//Particle Motion
            PSYS_SRC_ACCEL, <0.0,   0.0,    0.00>,
            PSYS_SRC_OMEGA, <0,   1,    0>, // rotation of emiter around X,Y,Z REGIONAL axes. approximately radians per burst.
            PSYS_SRC_BURST_SPEED_MIN, 0.0, // initial speed of particle.
            PSYS_SRC_BURST_SPEED_MAX,0.0// no final comma.
        ]);
        //llParticleSystem([]);
        //llTargetOmega(<0,0,1>,0,1.00);
    }
}

Wiki: https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/LlParticleSystem#llLinkParticleSystem

Checklist:

• Don't set PSYS_SRC_MAX_AGE to anything other than zero unless you really know what you're doing, set a timer or sleep instead then stop the particle system with llParticleSystem([]);
  • If you do, make sure the burst rate is strictly lower than the max age.
  • Particles are always based around the +-Z axes of the object. If that's not what you want, add a linked prim with the correct orientation.
  • Read the other wiki caveats.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Oh and as for things I don't know: animation and mesh modeling.

How anyone can do serious work with a modeling system (blender) that works on a vertex-line-face model rather than a volume/operation model is beyond me. In my super limited experience with blender, I'm constantly a bit annoyed that I did something slightly wrong 2~3 steps ago, and have to undo/redo steps rather than just plugging in numbers to the older steps after the fact.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Coffee Pancake said:

I honestly have no idea how some people are really into driving and vechs in SL, they are borderline uncontrolable jokes on a good day.

On a good day you can drive across 200 crossings without any issue. On an average day, about half. On a bad day, you're naked and unseated after 2 - possibly with your car barrelling off towards the horizon without you. 

• Like 5

On 5/10/2022 at 11:50 PM, Sid Nagy said:

I know everything I need for my SL.
But there is a lot where I'm still clueless about. I only figure out what I need when I need it.

This. When I need to learn something I do my best. For now is not much but enough for me. I wish I had more time for sl and learn much more things but RL always comes first. 

• Like 1

Scripting rotation.  If I want to set an objects size or position I can just manipulate the x, y, or z axises directly, but if i want to turn something I have to use some advanced voodoo involving quaternions, special functions and just hope the door I just made simply swings open and doesn't go flying off like some gull wing contraption. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/11/2022 at 4:49 PM, Coffee Pancake said:

I honestly have no idea how some people are really into driving and vechs in SL, they are borderline uncontrolable jokes on a good day.

People into land vehicles are using the well scripted ones. Many free or cheap ones are very difficult and put people off. Aircraft are fun because you can go almost anywhere as long as regions are connected. Sailing is wonderful because many boats provide a very realistic sailing simulation. Also vehicle users tend to be in groups that have vehicle events and parties. It is very social. And, we have little zen games too, like GTFO for freight hauling and BelliBin for trash collection.

Edited by diamond Marchant
  • Like 4

On 5/10/2022 at 3:39 PM, Myntz Mysterious said:

The only approved 3rd party viewer I knew of that became questionable was Emerald. 

On 5/10/2022 at 2:47 PM, Paulsian said:

third party viewers, ive never used one before because i thought the official viewer would be more secure. i dont know which viewers are trusted by which lindens? are any lindens within the security team able to sign off on any of the third party viewers is what I wonder about. 

i just started trying to learning rigging and rigid mesh like for rigging avatars without using addons. Ill get there eventually.

Unfortunately there are several. Emerald was a well respected and trusted viewer more popular than the Linden made viewer. But, they got into what I'll call 'the vigilante' movement because they were unhappy with the Governor's enforcement actions. As most vigilantes do, they eventually went too far. Emerald's descendant Phoenix/Firestorm has done a good job of rebuilding trust.

There are viewers used by minorities of people. Black Dragon is about the third best known gaining popularity with the photo and machinima peeps. I consider Firestorm my daily, general purpose viewer. The Linden Lab viewer is what I now consider cutting edge tech.

While the Lindens will not endorse any viewer other than their own they do list those they consider reasonable choices that cooperate with the Lab's developers. See Third Party Viewer Directory

One viewer that is pretty awesome and yet not on the list is Henri's Cool VL Viewer. Henri has been around about as long as SL and many of the more ... well known people ... of SL know him and his cantankerous nature toward the licensing agreement one has to sign to have their viewer listed in the directory. I think all of them would agree it is a safe viewer. I seldomg use it because Henri likes the v1 viewer interface and I don't.

On 5/11/2022 at 5:02 AM, Love Zhaoying said:

I apparently don't know how L$ vs. RL $ works, so I tend to spend L$ as if it were unlimited.  Buying L$, giving L$, etc.

What's a few hundred thousand L$ between friends?

You are now likely to have a growing number of FRIENDS... 😂

On 5/11/2022 at 4:49 PM, Coffee Pancake said:

I honestly have no idea how some people are really into driving and vechs in SL, they are borderline uncontrollable jokes on a good day.

I agree when it comes to ground vehicles. The one thing I haven't experimented with making in SL is vehicles. I have bought several bikes, cars, boats, and helicopters. All the cars and bikes I consider total disasters. The boats and copters are fun. My Shergood copters have a rough learning curve but they are awesome.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

The thing I have heard about... that I know nothing about in Second Life... is deformers.  I barely have even the vaguest context for deformers.  I know that there's a thing called "deformers."  They probably deform, but that is just my best guess.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Virtue Demina said:

The thing I have heard about... that I know nothing about in Second Life... is deformers.  I barely have even the vaguest context for deformers.  I know that there's a thing called "deformers."  They probably deform, but that is just my best guess.

deformers um i guess they could be triggered many ways used by mostly children thinking its okay it attack others.

lets say a popup for one your at an event lot of people you get a popup saying, like to dance? and if you press yes or no it will bend your shape in some cases can be temporary by resetting skeleton or read in some cases can not be undone. 

one time not long ago was at a public place someone thougt itd be funny to throw my avatar up and i was like lol very funny stop and kept pushing me up lomg story short had a push detection hud to let me know who was pushing me and had the residents name like 15 times and same person help sending me messages saying I can help yet they were causing it and kept sending me something to accept control or something a permission popup a friend said they would likely have been a deformer, when i called the person out with copy and paste the pushes he then copy pasted the pushes and replaced my name in the text and said inwas doing it. 

im over it still see person from time to time. dont mess w me anymore. when in doubt. i dont like people to be bullied or alpha wanabes ruling. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Anna Salyx said:

Scripting rotation.  If I want to set an objects size or position I can just manipulate the x, y, or z axises directly, but if i want to turn something I have to use some advanced voodoo involving quaternions, special functions and just hope the door I just made simply swings open and doesn't go flying off like some gull wing contraption. 

you need an omega script. i agree the terms are bit technical sometimes here. at the top of the forums page theres a knowledge base and below in that is building click that and will be something like scripting library lsl library click that and search rotate and will give examples of rotation scripts, some work some need tweaking youll start to see patterns.if you really want to get s grasp of the lsl directory type each one out in excel and each definition. and when you want to script something you can search keywords and get hints that way.

or you could go to the marketplace and search omega script and filter price to zero might find a couple educational examples there you could mod in time easily.

confused. omega makes things rotate. apply above to door script. 

Edited by Paulsian

2 hours ago, Virtue Demina said:

Current context in very simple terms: Deformers are invisible rigged mesh items that when worn can can adjust (or deform) a mesh body in ways that using shape adjustments just can't achieve alone to get a specific look. I've seen them most usually used for breasts, butts, hips, and shoulders (not in order or popularity).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

20 minutes ago, Paulsian said:

you need an omega script. i agree the terms are bit technical sometimes here. at the top of the forums page theres a knowledge base and below in that is building click that and will be something like scripting library lsl library click that and search rotate and will give examples of rotation scripts, some work some need tweaking youll start to see patterns.if you really want to get s grasp of the lsl directory type each one out in excel and each definition. and when you want to script something you can search keywords and get hints that way.

or you could go to the marketplace and search omega script and filter price to zero might find a couple educational examples there you could mod in time easily.

confused. omega makes things rotate. apply above to door script. 

no, I know about omega rotations and those are pretty straight forward.  (edit to add): llTargetOmega uses a simple vector for the turns  <x, y, z>, not rotation quaternions <x, y, z, s>, so omega turning is as simple as I could wish for, but it's also phantom in that the object is not physically changing position.  So good for simple spinning things, not good for when you need to actually change a prims location in space via a turn. (end edit)

No, I"m talking rotation that involves roll, pitch, and yaw. The things useful for aircraft and I get the need for quaternions for that type of movement. But if I'm just wanting to, for example, turn chair 45 degrees I can go into the edit window and change the Z value on rotation to 45 and bam! the chair has turned to where I want it.  but if I want to do it via script I have to do all sorts of extra steps instead of just plugging a value into the Z rotation value of the object.  I mean I can do it, but I don't get, don't understand, why turning a simple non flying object in place by a few degrees has to be extra complicated.

Edited by Anna Salyx
added thought.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Paulsian said:

deformers um i guess they could be triggered many ways used by mostly children thinking its okay it attack others.

They're not always weaponised (and reverting your avatar if you are takes half a second, so it's a really weak form of griefing - but frustrating of course for those who don't know how to undeform). 

4 hours ago, Virtue Demina said:

Generally speaking, deformers are attachments which change the appearance of your avatar via 'deforming' your skeleton; moving bones similarly to how avatar shapes work.

Here's an example, putting on my deformers:

01d6a6725ce6b4da244f25b1dc2f8b5d.gif

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Anna Salyx said:

No, I"m talking rotation that involves roll, pitch, and yaw. The things useful for aircraft and I get the need for quaternions for that type of movement. But if I'm just wanting to, for example, turn chair 45 degrees I can go into the edit window and change the Z value on rotation to 45 and bam! the chair has turned to where I want it.  but if I want to do it via script I have to do all sorts of extra steps instead of just plugging a value into the Z rotation value of the object.  I mean I can do it, but I don't get, don't understand, why turning a simple non flying object in place by a few degrees has to be extra complicated.

Sadly, that's not really a SL issue; it's math. Your viewer's edit window makes the math trivial because it always assumes you want to rotate around the object's own X, Y, and Z axes.  When you are scripting, you have to start with the grid's X, Y, and Z axes and then express your object's rotation relative to them. [Why the grid? Because that's the only system that all objects share.] And that takes math. It's not inherently difficult, but unfortunately, the kind of math you need to know isn't normally included in basic high school or college General Education math courses. It's a blend of matrix algebra and analytical geometry. There are some pretty straightforward tutorials on YouTube that walk through the basics, but if you're like me, you need to actually sit and play with the real thing before it makes sense. And that takes more time and patience than most people have -- which is why so few of us are scripters.  :) 

1 hour ago, Rolig Loon said:

Sadly, that's not really a SL issue; it's math. Your viewer's edit window makes the math trivial because it always assumes you want to rotate around the object's own X, Y, and Z axes.  When you are scripting, you have to start with the grid's X, Y, and Z axes and then express your object's rotation relative to them. [Why the grid? Because that's the only system that all objects share.] And that takes math. It's not inherently difficult, but unfortunately, the kind of math you need to know isn't normally included in basic high school or college General Education math courses. It's a blend of matrix algebra and analytical geometry. There are some pretty straightforward tutorials on YouTube that walk through the basics, but if you're like me, you need to actually sit and play with the real thing before it makes sense. And that takes more time and patience than most people have -- which is why so few of us are scripters.  :) 

The thing is though I don't really have to deal with the grids XYZ when I want top move or scale an object (well not in any obvious or direct ways.  Yes, I know that movement is relative to, but I just add a given incremental value to the objects local representation and it's put where I want it).  Setting a local rotation that is specific to the objects individual (not linkset) XYZ should be trivial and there should be simple tools to achieve this that doesn't require advanced mathematics.  I do get why a moving object, and/or a physics object, might need that additional overhead, but a lot of turning things is very simple and trivial... and as I type this I do know it's not always very trivial even for simple things.  like if the door is on a slope.  You're comment has helped maybe put a puzzle piece in place. 

My problem is I have dyscalculia.  Me and advanced math will never be friends. I'm fairly incapable of getting my head around anything more complex than HS algebra 1 and even then I end up screaming in frustrations most of the time.  So X, Y, Z, S notations and the understandings of why make my brain hurt.  LSL has the tools to get around and simplify it, but it just seems to be a lot of extra work but maybe necessary extra work after all. So....Thanks? :)

Edited by Anna Salyx

6 hours ago, Virtue Demina said:

"Deformer" usually refers to a SL product that changes the positions of your Avatar's bones to make shape changes more specific than can be done by editing your shape and moving the sliders.

The main techniques are usually using a specially made piece of mesh, or playing a special animation. Both techniques, are kindof "hacks" (in my opinion) that are unintended and can have some weird side-effects, but people like the results enough to buy the product.

1 hour ago, Rolig Loon said:

rotate around the object's own X, Y, and Z axes.

Defeats the point of the discussion, but for posterity:

vector Axis = <0,0,1>; // z axis
float Angle = 15*DEG_TO_RAD; // 15 degrees.
llSetRot(llAxisAngle2Rot(Axis,Angle)*llGetRot());

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Whenever there is a question about scripting in the forums someone like Quistess usually drops a code like she just did above. Because of this I’ve always assumed everyone here understood scripting very well. 

I know enough about programming to make scripts but I always have to refer to the LSL wiki. I can’t think up code off the top of my head. I understood that rotation code above. Good to know next time I make a door. 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Anna Salyx said:

My problem is I have dyscalculia.  Me and advanced math will never be friends. I'm fairly incapable of getting my head around anything more complex than HS algebra 1 and even then I end up screaming in frustrations most of the time.  So X, Y, Z, S notations and the understandings of why make my brain hurt. 

I think everyone has a personal comfort level with math. Things are fine until you hit that limit and then they just don't feel "intuitive" after that.  Many years ago I tutored the daughter of an MIT physicist who had clearly reached her comfort level in grade school somewhere, much to her father's discomfort. As a college freshman, it was painful (and a little embarrassing) for her not to see the connection between division and fractions. I hit my own limit a year or two later when I confronted partial differential equations, and I finally knew what Paula must have felt like. I could force myself to do the math, but it was no longer fun and easy. It is what it is. I've decided that you learn what you have to -- gritting your teeth if necessary --  or you admit that you've hit your limit and make friends with someone who hasn't hit hers yet.  😉

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Orwar said:

They're not always weaponised (and reverting your avatar if you are takes half a second, so it's a really weak form of griefing - but frustrating of course for those who don't know how to undeform). 

Generally speaking, deformers are attachments which change the appearance of your avatar via 'deforming' your skeleton; moving bones similarly to how avatar shapes work.

Here's an example, putting on my deformers:

01d6a6725ce6b4da244f25b1dc2f8b5d.gif

What body and deformer is that??? I like that result! ❤️

14 hours ago, Virtue Demina said:

Deformers are also used for tiny avatars - dinkies, pixies, all sorts of bite sized cuteness that wanders the Grid. In this case deformers wrap standard avatar skeleton to make it smaller than sliders would allow. Animal avatars that run on all four use them too, and I think giant avatars as well. General idea is - if sliders can't do it, deformers probably can!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Myntz Mysterious said:

What body and deformer is that??? I like that result! ❤️

Maitreya Lara, and a few different deformers by Avatar Clinic. 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Rolig Loon said:

I think everyone has a personal comfort level with math. Things are fine until you hit that limit and then they just don't feel "intuitive" after that.  Many years ago I tutored the daughter of an MIT physicist who had clearly reached her comfort level in grade school somewhere, much to her father's discomfort. As a college freshman, it was painful (and a little embarrassing) for her not to see the connection between division and fractions. I hit my own limit a year or two later when I confronted partial differential equations, and I finally knew what Paula must have felt like. I could force myself to do the math, but it was no longer fun and easy. It is what it is. I've decided that you learn what you have to -- gritting your teeth if necessary --  or you admit that you've hit your limit and make friends with someone who hasn't hit hers yet.  😉

for me it's a little more than comfort level.  Dyscalculia is a subcategory under Dyslexia that I was formally diagnosed with it in 5th grade after a lot of testing. Dyscalculia, unlike general Dyslexia, is specifically about numbers and numbers related operations and how the brain physically processes them. My case is not as severe as some and have a great desire to be better at math and I constantly push my borders but my limitations hardwired as it were.  But, a) I get what you are trying to say, and it's the reason I embrace computers and calculator and such to do much of the 'heavy lifting' math wise for me. and b) we're straying from the original topic so I'll just drop this here and move along :)

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 770 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.