Please I need to get unbanned from Voodoo Security

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 823 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

8 minutes ago, PermaRuthed said:

OK, that is frightening. RZ deserves to be banned.

And so it was. It took LL a while to finally act, but eventually the system was completely eradicated.

Voodoo isn't as bad for a number of reasons, not least of which is that it doesn't enable the kind of thing that happened to Rowan, but it's still pretty ugly.

• Like 2

The OP could make an alt, disable all music/media and go to the place she was banned.  Would be interesting to see what happens since there should be no way to associate the new alt with the old IP.  Right?  Or is something more sinister going on with Voodoo?

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

This device is basically the same as RZ but RZ provided a list of avatars associated with an IP address.  I tped into a place with RZ.  The idiot who ran the place thought it was funny to tell me my alts name right in local chat.  I was stunned.  Only afterwards did I even hear about RZ.

It is such a crappy thing -- and, I'd have thought, a pretty stupid business practice -- to ban people on the basis of someone else's evaluation of their desirability. Yeah yeah, your land, your rules, you can ban who you want, blah blah blah. It's still stupid and awful.

As for the RedZoners -- god, I hated those guys. I engaged with them on the RedZone forum, where of course they amused themselves by publicly outing my location and alt (I only had Richard at that point). They were arrogant, obnoxious jerks with God complexes. I wish I'd kept a list of all the SOBs on that forum: it would be nice to know that I wasn't still accidentally patronizing their clubs and stores.

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
  • Like 4

10 minutes ago, PermaRuthed said:

OK, that is frightening. RZ deserves to be banned.

It wasn't just RZ itself that was scary.. The guy that ran it was even more scary.. The stuff we were hearing and finding out over in SLU was super creepy.. The videos that guy was putting up on youtube alone creeped me out..

Someone that owned RZ was even at more risk than the people it would scan and collect information from..

It's pretty much public knowledge that the guy that ran it was fined, put in jail and not allowed do much of anything with a computer for two years, let alone not allowed to go into any kind of social network, especially like second life..

The media filter that is in firestorm and maybe other viewers right now, That was made by a frequent SLU member just because of the security risk from RZ and others similar to it..

I wish I could remember the name of the user that came up with it, but it was so long ago.. I just remember thanking them so much..

I also remember these forums getting shut down back when the threads were getting pretty hot in here with RZ discussions.. For like 10 days they were shut down.. Supposedly a forum update, but it felt more like a cool off period than anything.. 10 days for a forum update.. hehehe

omg I can't believe I'm getting back into this..  *Ceka slaps Cekas wrist* Stop typing in here Ceka!! \o/

hehehe

• Like 6

6 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

The Voodoo security and sploders are made by the same person.  Just look for Voodoo security on the MP to see the creator.  From further reading, the sploders can be configured on and off for several things.  Afk avatars, more.than one avatar on the grid using the sploders, group access.  Those are owner enabled.or disabled.

The security system is a stand alone system that captures your IP address, checks it against their internal list and either allows or bans.  If you TP to a place with media auto enabled, they can capture your IP.  [...]

Sorry, I'm being super geeky, and very possibly just confused. It seems to me that the way the sploders could detect "more than one avatar on the grid using the sploders" would be by matching their IP addresses, right? (or theoretically, anything else that could identify alt accounts). So, I'm supposing the sploders contribute to the IP harvesting but the information only affects sploder use, whereas the security system does all that for land access and bans. The shared ban list… not sure if that's only land access or what.

But what's still confusing to me: They could surely gather IP by media from folks with auto-play enabled or who explicitly agree to play it, and maybe that agreement is what this earlier post was about:

14 hours ago, belindacarson said:

in the sploder's there a verify thing, i think a sploder owner has to turn it on.  But if it is on, and you try to enter a sploder you get a big blue pop up saying that if you enter your IP address gets logged.  SO as as far as I can deduce if kinda puts the choice down to me (the player) whether I want to play it or not.  like I'm consenting to them having my IP address.

I use the media filter every place I go and I've never had a dodgy link at a sploder yet.  try it yourself, the tracker hud is free.

What's that "big blue pop up" ? I was guessing it to be a dialog from llLoadURL(), but maybe rather it's whatever viewer's media filter? Or maybe the script itself detects that their SL identity-tracking media call* didn't produce a connection so the visitor must be coerced to enable media auto-play or they won't get to splode?

It's not just that I'm too lazy to try it myself (although I am pretty lazy) but I'm also pretty certain all my alts are already identified as Enemies Of Teh Voodoo, so even with aid of a VPN they'll be pre-Monkey-pawed.

* Even geekier: I now realize that the RedZone way of doing this, using parcel media and PARCEL_MEDIA_COMMAND_AGENT to reveal SL identity may have been updated to use "shared media" aka Media-on-a-Prim so anybody who rezzes the media surface would be subject to the same challenge, although the programming would be a trickier, much like how parcel audio connections could be analyzed to make the same identity-IP association.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ceka Cianci said:
16 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Does using a VPN work as a work-around also?

I wouldn't think so once it has your name in the system..

Asked another way: if a VPN assigns a random IP address each time you use it, wouldn't your Alt still get through - different IP address - because it can't be associated with your banned name?

1 hour ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Asked another way: if a VPN assigns a random IP address each time you use it, wouldn't your Alt still get through - different IP address - because it can't be associated with your banned name?

I think that's correct as long as that alt has never been identified in the past. But once alts are known, IP address wouldn't even be considered anymore (except to match any new alts that share a now-changed IP address).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Qie Niangao said:

I think that's correct as long as that alt has never been identified in the past. But once alts are known, IP address wouldn't even be considered anymore (except to match any new alts that share a now-changed IP address).

That’s also my understanding of it… a table with IP-Avatar Name

If either of those variables are in the table one is doomed 😶

3 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:

Sorry, I'm being super geeky, and very possibly just confused. It seems to me that the way the sploders could detect "more than one avatar on the grid using the sploders" would be by matching their IP addresses, right? (or theoretically, anything else that could identify alt accounts). So, I'm supposing the sploders contribute to the IP harvesting but the information only affects sploder use, whereas the security system does all that for land access and bans. The shared ban list… not sure if that's only land access or what.

If I'm reading all his information correctly, the 2 systems, security and sploders, are separate.  The sploders have various features that can be turned off and on.  The Verify option seems to be the one that may ask to harvest.  The security seems to do the harvesting without asking.  I suppose, technically, those banned IP addresses from one could be added to the other.

https://voodoo.community/en/help/voodoo-sploder/getting-started-with-sploder-2-in-second-life/

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Sorry, I thought you were talking about if an account had already been on it..

I would think a vpn would work if it's a new or different account that was never matched with the other..

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Like 1

One time I was banned from VooDoo because this guy was stomping on me... 
Some time ago, I was able to turn back but it was not the same and I don't like that place anymore. 

Before that accident, it was one of the places I used to hang out the most in SL and was TPing people to join the place. 
I was stupid, I know...

Lessons were learned after that experience. 

Edited by niko89bg
  • Sad 1

13 hours ago, Adamburp Adamczyk said:

But you DO insist on entering the "who's wearing the best Y-fronts" contests when I'm in them too oO

Four years ago you had this to say on Marketplace:

Wow! Amazing! Griefer-be-gone!

Posted May 06, 2018 by Adamburp Adamczyk 5 stars

I own 6 of these little beauties now, and they do as the label says. What I truly like is the configuration of it, not only does it stop a lot of griefers in their tracks, you can configure it as an age blocker, or to stop flying if your land has private areas.

Support is excellent, always staff on hand to help you if needed.

When used in conjunction with your events it can stop cheaters too. Result in MUCH fairer contests for people.

So presumably you could answer some of the questions that still aren't fully resolved here. This review was for "Voodoo Security 3.1" which seems to be a product distinct from the sploders, so… do you also have the sploders? If so, some of what we were trying to figure out:

• Does this "Security" product add the ability to deny land access, whereas the sploders only deny access to the sploders themselves? That is, the sploders do not control land access, so you need this device?
  • Does this device and the sploders share the alt identity database?
  • Do you know if it uses media or something else to collect the IP addresses? What does the visitor experience in that collection process? Are they always informed it's happening and have to grant consent?
  • Can you turn off the use of the shared banlist? 

I'm sure other folks have more and better questions, but these are a start on what has me so confused.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 823 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.