The best mainland continent is....

Feorie Frimon

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 749 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Heterocera, hands down, at least for design, simply because it has one coherent geographical story to tell, in contrast to Sansara's hodgepodge of unrelated geographic features in no particular order.

From the perspective of individual parcel ownership, though, Zindra is pretty interesting, with a broad array of options including double-primmed parcels some of which are waterfront and some that be terraformed and divided/joined. (Unfortunately the road network and Kama City monorail are kind of garbage though.)

• Like 7

47 minutes ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

Tough call! I love the Atoll best as far as appearance goes, but Sansara has Bay City, where so many of my friends are (and I've been part of that community for over 10 years now). So I guess it depends on whether we are voting based on looks or sentiment!

I just bought 2 protected parcels on Atoll. I love it. Been exploring already. Been on a train and had a drive. I hear its the continent with the best transport system

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

Heterocera, hands down, at least for design, simply because it has one coherent geographical story to tell, in contrast to Sansara's hodgepodge of unrelated geographic features in no particular order.

From the perspective of individual parcel ownership, though, Zindra is pretty interesting, with a broad array of options including double-primmed parcels some of which are waterfront and some that be terraformed and divided/joined. (Unfortunately the road network and Kama City monorail are kind of garbage though.)

Heterocera, I agree. I've lived on Sansar, Satori and Heterocera, but Heterocera is by far the best. The natural-looking atoll design provides a reason for circular rings of water and landmass, as well as a lake in the middle that actually has a higher water level than the surrounding water. There are ample interconnected roads that don't just end for no apparent reason. There's a railway line and an awesome mountain range. Then there's all the cool places and things residents have built:  including parks for riding horses and hiking, amusement parks, little communities and more. If for some reason you don't like the busier outer ring, the inner ring facing the central lake is quiet and peaceful. 

• Like 6

15 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

If for some reason you don't like the busier outer ring, the inner ring facing the central lake is quiet and peaceful. 

True! I have a half dozen parcels scattered around the continent (mostly near RR tracks), and recently picked up a couple of small ones right on the edge of Caldera Lake. I'm surprised and pleased with how peaceful that area is. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Qie Niangao said:

Good point, and I don't know why I didn't even think of Zindra! My main home is there. 😂

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Surprised no one mentioned it yet, but my fav hands down is Corsica. It has a beautiful, peaceful gateway to the Blake Sea, SO many resident-created attractions, is easily navigable (except the little part that -does not- connect West Corsica to the Circuit la Corse), and the investment across the two parts of the continent (Central and West Corsica) is amazing. Circuit la Corse is my fav road to drive along, Lusca is my fav sim across the continents (with the Moorcroft Community sims in Sansara a close second), and I have a -lot- of spaces there (including Little Kenya Restaurant). I love adding little things along the Circuit to find and enjoy. :D

• Like 5

i have a sentiment for Jeogeot

there are quite a few regions on Jeogeot which have the names of places in my real world. I can relate to that in a sentimental way

i like to go down there and get on my motorbike now and again, and putter along on the Wellington Road / Route 10 loop, just to see what changes might have happened since the time before. I have lived on different parcels along those roads at different times.  I don't live down there at the moment tho

• Like 3

Sansara's Hidden Lakes region looks most like areas in Upstate New York which is why I like it, it even has sims with the names of the Finger Lakes like Keuka although there are no actual lakes by those particular sims, just what we would call "a crick." 

But I gravitate again and again to the chemical blue shores of the toxic wasteland of Hetero-etcetera....who knows why.

I guess the pink mountains section of the affordable (abandoned) part of Nautilus is my favourite area. I have to say I don't like the continents that have volcanic ash or the ones that look like a beat-up baseball field. And Corsica, my God, Corsica, you can see where the Lindens had such a grand vision...then...turned away...

• Like 4

Probably not the best, but still my favorite (also I live there) Sansara. 

I like to wander in Sansara, look around, yes, there are ugly buildings, but beauty is the eye of the beholder they say.

Someone built something 15 or 19 years ago in prims and still has it out today, most likely they love it and have pride in it( it is their world and their imagination).They are still paying for that parcel, or they have a charter account and don't log anymore. Almost every place has a history, sometimes we are lucky and meet the people behind, sometimes there is an interesting story to be told.  There is Mocha Cathedral,  there is the Bean Stalk

No, probably not the most beautiful, but sometimes (just sometimes) I get a bit sentimental over things, and the stuff that history is made. I still have a Pillow Talk pillow in my garden. Why? because I was in love with that place when  I started SL, and it reminds me how simple and lovely things could be made.

That said, I love the progress SL has had over the years, my avatar, my house, my furniture is great and way better than it was back then :)

• Like 7

I like them all in different ways for the reasons already given. Asking to chose a favourite is a bit like asking which kitten from the litter is your favourite... it is a hard choice and don't want to hurt the feelings of the others.

No one has mentioned Nautilus yet, and perhaps for good reason the road system is a disjointed afterthought making actually owning land there pretty pointless unless you are on a waterway... but the waterways are its main selling point. In the North West there is a lovely and creative chain of mole built islands and a link to Corsica. On the East and South there are waterway connections to privately owned estates with the Seychelles, USS sailing sims and others around the blake and Fairchang in the SW. To the South Connections with Satori and the fun Nautilus City with its Citadel and canal.

I love Corsica waterways and roads. I love Sansara's Seas and roads, the sense of history and variety of areas, the Atolls geography road and rail networks and its little sometimes infuriating waterways. But my heart would always lead me back to Nautilus and the opportunities it offers for sailing, the little islands and features dotted around and the links with the private estates.

Edited by Aethelwine
  • Like 4

7 hours ago, Stephanie Lovely said:

I'm rather partial to the Sharp Continent, yes it is all G land but the high altitude areas are amazing. I have lived in a few places there and enjoyed it very much.

I agree with this - I think it’s the prettiest by far. I just wish there was some M over there! :)

9 hours ago, Stephanie Lovely said:

I'm rather partial to the Sharp Continent, yes it is all G land but the high altitude areas are amazing. I have lived in a few places there and enjoyed it very much.

Probably everybody knows this already, but just in case: The Sharp Continent consists of bits of Sansara, glued together to make what was then the "Teen Grid". In fact, western Bay City used to be connected to the western edge of Sharp, so what's now known as Bay City - Mashpee was west of Hyperion.*

To help orient the pieces:

• Hyperion = Barcola, and that mapping continues all the way to:
  • Svecia = Tethys, which then transitions to the snow lands:
  • Tahoe = Zermatt, and some scattered glue:
  • Bleu = ANWR, plus some I don't recognize but somebody may:
  • Kenafa / Tenshi / Danbo / Lappi = ???

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

If I have to choose, Sansara probably is my favourite, the Old World, the Color Sims, I almost bought a big parcel on a Color Sim once, but decided it would have been too indulgent, I wasn't in-world enough to justify the initial cost and then the tier, the Snow Sims,...  And I ❤️ the railways!

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Feorie Frimon said:

I agree with this - I think it’s the prettiest by far. I just wish there was some M over there! :)

What I like to do when I find an area I like on the Teen Grid is find the matching spot in Sansara (see Qie's post above), and it will often be M rated. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

What I like to do when I find an area I like on the Teen Grid is find the matching spot in Sansara (see Qie's post above), and it will often be M rated. 

What - what?!! I’m doing this today! :)

and what are the ‘color sims’? 

Edited by Feorie Frimon

1 hour ago, Aethelwine said:

I think the color regions were like the second or third wave of regions after the original 13. 

They were early, for sure, and appear in some of the early growth stages mapped in one of the many cartographic exhibits at Julianna Lethdetter's "New Kadath Lighthouse Art Gallery." (Specifically, this exhibit.)

While at the Lighthouse I also found an exhibit that answered my Teen Grid question: There was indeed a transition strip between the teen "Bay City" and their version of the Nova Albion regions.

EDIT: Well that's disappointing: the Forums software gobbles up the secondlife:// URIs, so here's the text of those links, which copy/pasted into the viewer will give object details so you can find the specific exhibits in the gallery:

• The Early Grid: secondlife:///app/objectim/1c4cdc64-891e-c368-f953-ce1ac0eab1eb?name=EXHIBIT%20The%20Early%20Grid%20%28original%29&owner=46085b7f-8256-43fe-8cfa-0e515f29d126&slurl=New%20Kadath/33.974610/47.304900/33.759200
  • Teen Grid: secondlife:///app/objectim/d1a361ba-81d9-fadd-f703-1cf3185d880c?name=EXHIBIT%20Teen%20Second%20Life&owner=46085b7f-8256-43fe-8cfa-0e515f29d126&slurl=New%20Kadath/43.336290/7.814256/24.782050
Edited by Qie Niangao
  • Like 6

11 hours ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

I love that ancient railway that goes through the color regions, and the Periwinkle Station!

i haven't been by there since ages

so i went again just before. The playground is still there by the station, same the olde style orange grove trees nearby. Which is pretty nice of the people who have supported these for all of the years they have

i went down the line to Purple railway station as well. The ferry still runs across the sea from Purple train station to Cecropia Ocean Terminal where can catch the train there as well to go further north

was a whole trip down memory lane for me. So thanks :)

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 749 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.