Buzz cut hair that's not just a hairbase?

Jaenie Crystal

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 745 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello Everyone,

My eyeballs are bleeding from sifting through the marketplace and whatever muscle does teleports is sore from looking for a buzz cut/short clipped hair that is not just a hair base but is an actually wearable hair.    I'd love to find the style in the first photo -- color doesn't matter. I like the spikiness.   The second photo is super cute and couldn't mind that either, again that's hair.  Some of the hair bases do look nice, but it's just not the same.  Even if it's a men's hair, that's OK! Something! Anything!  Please, save my eyes and my teleporting muscle and help me! :) 

Thank you!

Jaenie

image.png.947b4a3605a574722f03537f7093ca88.png   image.thumb.png.6570a8003655c3bc46d6afeaebccd62c.png

• Like 3

So, I tried it and I'm sorry to be a... buzz kill.  😄  I was hoping for something with a bit more volume. While the hair does have a few 3D bits added to it, overall it's pretty much a flat, smooth, wearable mesh hair base that has a very classic avie look to it. The demo makes it difficult to get a good feel with the myriad of security features (colors, lettering. etc. Dunno why they can't have the hair look normal and add floaty demo prims. As well, the HUD doesn't work with the demo.)

So here's what it looks like on me, on the left. The next image is the hair base I usually wear when I want a buzz cut. With that said... now that I see them side by side, the Faceshop hair does seem to be an improvement over what I had first... but I'm just missing the spikiness 😕 

image.thumb.png.bdd29370320989079376f73e649adf27.png

image.thumb.png.652a7d80ad979473f6302cb77c98e7cf.png

But, your idea gave me more to search on, "pixie"!  And I found these. Though they are still hair bases, they are still higher quality than what you or I have brought to the search so far.  Still hoping for a true buzz though...

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/NO-Anne-Style-EvoX-Hair-Base-Tattoo/23381196

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/NO-Mia-Style-2-Hair-Bases-Highlight-Layer/23283255

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/NO-Kate-Style/23289760

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, taisiyakarpenko said:

That's it ! I thought of posting it here, but was thinking it maybe was a bit to long to be a real "buzz"...

It's probably the closest I've seen without being just a hairbase.  I know Studio Exposure had a cute one but it was on a Catwa applier IIRC.

The So-Far fashion show... all of these I've tweaked with size, etc.

I've already shown your the FACESHOP. Nice-ish, but I believe the ones here have better workmanship.

"No Drive" - from No Match. 

Sorry, but in my experience all of No Match's hair do not look as refined as their advertisements. Their advertisements look like some of the best, modern hair in SL. Then you wear it and it looks like clumpy classic avie hair 😛 The frustrating part is that there is hair with far better texture ... but not as imaginative as No Match's styles. If No Match just put a bit more effort into the textures they rule the Hair-i-verse!

image.thumb.png.9e58e77901e9f2c181dab504f7f68b95.png image.thumb.png.7519c49eabe69ac4d667c271c4f13efa.png

"Raf" - from Modulus.

The mesh hair is just around the crown, while my Dura hair baes covers the rest.  Cut in it's own way and possible my favorite so far. This actually worked better when I was "Raf" and "Josef" together, adding a bit of a peak in front.

image.thumb.png.c1ba5043743f02da77a35fbd7f903fc8.png image.thumb.png.26b6eba3d3404a950fc271f14d2c9934.png

T R E N T - from CL. 

Yeah... no... ;)   I suppose if I was going for a cyberpunk thing with cyborg gear on the side of my head this would be cool. But, it's a bit too Grace Jones for me :D  And then... AND THEN... it's one of those timing-out demos.  AND THEN.. not only can you no longer wear it after the time limit, but look at what it did to me!!!  Double clicking on the expired hair actually replaced my Lelutka head.  The nerve! :D   Seriously though, it totally turned me off from any interest in whatever else this brand might have to offer :P You need more time to evaluate something like this, going back and forth between hair styles. The only recourse is to download multiple times (maybe copy works, I dunno.) How annoying. OK, rant over...

image.thumb.png.0c117bae0be435fdd2379c62c6b3b9cc.png image.png.e3c487ebdc63e332ba618b544f3ed5ef.png

Edited by Jaenie Crystal
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/25/2022 at 1:50 PM, Jaenie Crystal said:

I've already shown your the FACESHOP. Nice-ish, but I believe the ones here have better workmanship.

Sorry, but in my experience all of No Match's hair do not look as refined as their advertisements. Their advertisements look like some of the best, modern hair in SL. Then you wear it and it looks like clumpy classic avie hair 😛 The frustrating part is that there is hair with far better texture ... but not as imaginative as No Match's styles. If No Match just put a bit more effort into the textures they rule the Hair-i-verse!

image.thumb.png.9e58e77901e9f2c181dab504f7f68b95.png image.thumb.png.7519c49eabe69ac4d667c271c4f13efa.png

"Raf" - from Modulus.

The mesh hair is just around the crown, while my Dura hair baes covers the rest.  Cut in it's own way and possible my favorite so far. This actually worked better when I was "Raf" and "Josef" together, adding a bit of a peak in front.

image.thumb.png.c1ba5043743f02da77a35fbd7f903fc8.png image.thumb.png.26b6eba3d3404a950fc271f14d2c9934.png

T R E N T - from CL. 

Yeah... no... ;)   I suppose if I was going for a cyberpunk thing with cyborg gear on the side of my head this would be cool. But, it's a bit too Grace Jones for me :D  And then... AND THEN... it's one of those timing-out demos.  AND THEN.. not only can you no longer wear it after the time limit, but look at what it did to me!!!  Double clicking on the expired hair actually replaced my Lelutka head.  The nerve! :D   Seriously though, it totally turned me off from any interest in whatever else this brand might have to offer :P You need more time to evaluate something like this, going back and forth between hair styles. The only recourse is to download multiple times (maybe copy works, I dunno.) How annoying. OK, rant over...

image.thumb.png.0c117bae0be435fdd2379c62c6b3b9cc.png image.png.e3c487ebdc63e332ba618b544f3ed5ef.png

Those Timed Demos are truly annoying. Five and 10 minute demos are a real annoyance.

The best way to deal with them, that I know, is to make a copy before trying one on. When the copy times out delete it. Make a new copy from the original and go again, which works unless they are being tricky and put the timer in both the HUD and item. 😡

Double clicking an item triggers a WEAR command. If something is on the attachment point WEAR clears the point and sets the new item on that attachment point. So, your head being replaced is more about how you are using the viewer.

Creators now tend to let everything default to the right hand. I suspect many of us now use ADD as the default way to attach things. I know I reassign new items to the attachment point I want used. I think it improves render time and reduces problems when crossing region boundaries.

I think part of the problem here, and why you've not found what you want, is the way mesh and texturing actually works in SL.

For normal, longer hair, it works by making a flat-ish plane of mesh and texturing it with streaks to resemble hair viewed side-on.  But to achieve a buzz-cut, it would never look like that. You'd have to mesh every strand of hair as a single vertical column and texture each one. I've seen this technique used for pubic hair, which is by nature a much smaller area. I am not a mesh-creator but I suspect it's too time-consuming or too difficult to do for a whole head of hair.  Or the result would be so mind-bogglingly complex and lag-making it would effectively be a griefer-object.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 3/25/2022 at 9:50 PM, Jaenie Crystal said:

"Raf" - from Modulus.

T R E N T - from CL. 

I guess that's why they call their brand "no match". The pictures don't match the actual hairstyle... 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 745 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.