Option to Delete Topic

ThorOddinson

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 784 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• ThorOddinson changed the title to Option to Delete Topic

The only way I'd support a change to the forums to be able to delete threads is if no response had been posted yet.

Personally, I don't even think the forums should allow a full 24 hours to edit posts.  Most people should be able to figure out in less than an hour if they need to edit for spelling or clarity.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, bigmoe Whitfield said:

(all forums makers)

Sorry to disagree but I know that isn't true. My own forumS have settings for each section where I can allow or disallow editing of posts and/or threads. One of them is Invision, the same company that provided LL with the current forum software.

24 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

Sorry to disagree but I know that isn't true. My own forumS have settings for each section where I can allow or disallow editing of posts and/or threads. One of them is Invision, the same company that provided LL with the current forum software.

Righto,  I do not mess with permissions on the boards for users,  what it comes stock with at a user level is what they get.   Moderators and administrators are the ones I personally adjust.   I've learned a thing or 2,  I run the largest automotive forum on the net, have for almost 20 years,  suffice to say,  not every forum has the ability for users to edit... looking at you phpnuke. rofl.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

The only way I'd support a change to the forums to be able to delete threads is if no response had been posted yet.

Personally, I don't even think the forums should allow a full 24 hours to edit posts.  Most people should be able to figure out in less than an hour if they need to edit for spelling or clarity.

That's nice.

Not everyone operates the way you do and there really isn't much reason to force a user to have to make a wholly separate post when all that is needed is to tack the information on to the actual post it belongs as part of.

• Like 2

I also am not a fan of being able to delete posts that have anything following on after it.

Deleting what you just posted? Sure. Deleting something you posted a day ago and 30 people have riffed off of? Not cool. It leaves often-times confusing gaps in the thread and conversation and replies. Especially the first post in thread ... inevitably leads to a barrage of "Where'd the OP go?" type posts.

I do think for some posts we should be able to have a visible "flag" on them indicating if the OP has been addressed, answered, sold, etc.

I can't tell you how many times I've popped into a rental thread only to find out it's been sold/rented/no longer available, or all your brilliant knowledgeable posters like @Rowan Amore or @LittleMe Jewell or @Silent Mistwalker or you @Solar Legion have already come along and helpfully solved whatever the issue was. :)

Edited by Katherine Heartsong
  • Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

It's about control, much like denying your ability to cancel  your account, or change your password.

Nowadays it's all about maintaining all databases with all the data for mining and profit.

The Right To Be Forgotten (or You Should Own Your Own Data)

Even on some platforms, like Facebook, when you cancel  your account, your data remains and they claim your data is deleted after some time, but there are many users reporting that even if they sign in after a couple years, all the data remains.

Great for sales too when one corporation sells to another, the data and user information is worth far more than the platform itself nowadays.

Edited by entity0x
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

10 hours ago, entity0x said:

Jeez, how often do I need to say this?  Data Protection laws only apply to personally identifiable data. That is, data which can be used to identify you in RL.  Your RL name, your RL address, your RL date of birth, your health records, your tax records, your social security number and so on.

Posts that you have made anonymously on a forum under a name that is not your RL name are not personally identifiable and therefore not subject to Data Protection laws. Linden Lab is under no obligation to delete them UNLESS you have doxxed yourself in them.

If you think you may want a post deleted in the future, the best solution is never post it in the first place.

• Like 10

You have a remorse period of 24 hours, to reduce your postings to a simple "oops" or "never mind" etc.
That should be sufficient.
Best is, to overthink what you are about to post, before you hit the "Submit Reply" button.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 784 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.