US Residents to begin paying Sales Tax

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 749 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 hour ago, yestothis said:

Tax day starts today. How much more are YOU paying? 

Today is not April 1. 

Why are you mad LL isn't going to pay your taxes for you anymore? The ones all US residents should have been paying to LL legally for almost 20 years. It's your legal obligation to pay the sales tax and LL's to pass it on to the various agencies. No one at LL is going to go to jail for you.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

They are not starting it "in the middle of a 24 hour period".  It started at 12:01 am Pacific time today.  That is the beginning of a 24-hour period.

When my company tells me that something will start "as of" a date, it starts at the beginning of that day.  It has been that way at every place that I have ever worked and any place that I have ever done business.

The odd thing about this one is that it is not starting on the beginning of the month, but instead it started on the last day of a month.

• Like 2

That's what I was getting at, it's the last day of the month and that is NOT normal at all.

Edit: I'm thinking it may have something to do with April Fool's, but it's never made a difference to any other company so why LL and why now?

Edited by Silent Mistwalker

i think it's okay, as some people said, it is something normal for people to pay their own taxes .-. so it was something nice that they did it for us for a time, so yeah, i don't think it's bad news, just something normal that would happen eventually

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

I said the EU, not Europe.. Nice try though..

In my opinion it's comparing apples with pears. But correct me if I'm wrong. And yes the EU has different tax per country, Though we are slowly trying to smooth it out to having the same tax in every country.
P.s I was not 'trying anything". 😉

19 minutes ago, Bold Burner said:

In my opinion it's comparing apples with pears. But correct me if I'm wrong. And yes the EU has different tax per country, Though we are slowly trying to smooth it out to having the same tax in every country.
P.s I was not 'trying anything". 😉

The point i was making is that we have 50 states. Each with their own laws  after the Federal ones. For instance, each state has their own law on the age of consent, legal driving age, whether or not abortion is legal, gambling laws and many others. Taxes were done by each state due to each states individual needs. California has the highest at 7.25% probably due to the amount of repairs needed from all the earth quakes. 

Each state was formed/ joined the US at different times. And they were independent "countries" if you will, before joining. Hence the varied laws around the country. Just like the varied laws around the EU. 

Does that make more sense? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

The point i was making is that we have 50 states. Each with their own laws  after the Federal ones. For instance, each state has their own law on the age of consent, legal driving age, whether or not abortion is legal, gambling laws and many others. Taxes were done by each state due to each states individual needs. California has the highest at 7.25% probably due to the amount of repairs needed from all the earth quakes. 

Each state was formed/ joined the US at different times. And they were independent "countries" if you will, before joining. Hence the varied laws around the country. Just like the varied laws around the EU. 

Does that make more sense? 

It does. 

We have 44 countries in Europe each with their own laws
Of those 44 countries we have 27 countries in the EU. 

Overview tax rates in EU: https://blog.stamps.com/2021/07/14/value-added-tax-vat-rates-by-eu-country/
Overview tax rates in Europe: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tax_rates_in_Europe

As you will see is that those IN the EU are having similar taxes. And those outside are not so similar.

In a way the EU is similar to the USA in regard to how it's formed.

Thanks for clearing it up. 🙏 

38 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

I just bought lindens like 3 times over the weekend and paid the same price as before the Tax started..

I must not have to pay taxes either.. That was kind of a nice surprise :D

The blog post said that they would not be charging sales tax on L$ purchases at this time, but might in the future.

Currently the tax will only apply to Premium membership, Tier and Region fees.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

The blog post said that they would not be charging sales tax on L$ purchases at this time, but might in the future.

Currently the tax will only apply to Premium membership, Tier and Region fees.

I'll have to see if my tier went up then.. I don't think it has yet..

It seems like the same price so far.. Maybe next month it will once region owners feel the pinch.

Reed Linden said in yesterday's Web meeting that the effects didn't get rolled out on March 31st like they'd planned and instead went out on Monday, April 4th. The only confusing part is when he talks about "definition" and how that applies to some people and not others.

Edited by Lucia Nightfire

2 hours ago, Ceka Cianci said:

I just bought lindens like 3 times over the weekend and paid the same price as before the Tax started..

I must not have to pay taxes either.. That was kind of a nice surprise :D

I just read one of Inara's articles. The sales tax didn't actually start until April 4th (Monday).

Edited by Silent Mistwalker

36 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

I just read one of Inara's articles. The sales tax didn't actually start until April 4th (Monday).

I actually didn't go back to work this week until last night.. It felt like a long weekend.. I  bought lindens yesterday.. I guess I lost track of my day with yesterday feeling like a sunday for me..hehehe

• Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 749 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.