US Residents to begin paying Sales Tax

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 736 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Will this impact your SL financial decisions?  My current monthly tier bill is low enough that it shouldn't impact my decision on that, but I might let another Premium expire when they come due after this takes effect.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 2

As of March 31, 2022 we will begin charging sales tax in the U.S. For the time being we will charge taxes only on recurring billings,

For the time being ... 

This is news we don’t enjoy sharing, but for the health of the business and of Second Life, we can no longer continue absorbing these tax burdens.

So ... Is, SL not doing so well ?

• Like 3

And, they further stated that at some time in the future they will also be charging the sales tax on L$ buys and other one-time charges that are not in the initial list.

" At some point in the future we will need to begin passing those taxes on to you. We will make another announcement when those charges are phased in. "

I'm actually more concerned about sales tax being added onto the L$ buys.  Those fees just recently increased as it is and my local + state sales tax amount would add another 8.15%.  But even with just the Premium fee that is only once a year, the dollars still add up over multiple accounts.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I believe I paid taxes when I last paid for my premium membership in November.  I don't hold any land outside of the allotted 1024, so it does not impact me in the way it does others so I don't see my spending habits changing.  I stopped purchasing linden a while ago, so when the inevitable sales tax is applied to purchasing them it will not make a difference.  I will probably stick with the one premium membership, unless the rates change again - I must admit seeing premium rise from $72 to $99 and then having tax applied to it did not impress me in the least though.  I can get a bit stingy with my money like that :)

• Like 2

We Europeans are paying taxes for the use of SL for years already.
One gets used to it. As long as one likes the platform enough one will shell out the extra shekels.
Of course there will be people who will call it a day.
SL is not really necessary in life and RL isn't exactly getting cheaper either at the moment.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 7

2 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

And, they further stated that at some time in the future they will also be charging the sales tax on L$ buys and other one-time charges that are not in the initial list.

" At some point in the future we will need to begin passing those taxes on to you. We will make another announcement when those charges are phased in. "

If they add it to buying L$, that's going to be a disaster. Especially if they roll it out everywhere. 

For US residents that 5 - 10 %, EU 20%

Costs are going to go up across the board.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, yestothis said:

Could someone clarify how taxes will be calculated? What percentage? 

It will be based on where you live.  You can google for your local city & state (and sometimes county) tax rates.

• Thanks 1

Another reason to move to Florida, which has no sales tax.

Now Americans can feel in part what Europeans did having to suffer the VAT years ago.

I have already been unloading some project land where I never seem to get started, and now I will do more. New York City has an 8.875% sales tax. That ads US $113 to my main tier bill. Taking off $263 in tier = $89 in tax then.

Yes, it's a significant bite. So expend more land to get abandoned or sold for pennies.

Edited by Prokofy Neva
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

I was about to step into the land business, when LL announced the VAT for Europeans.
So I never did.
And the playing field still isn't totally leveled when the taxes are submitted.
My guess the new land barons will arise form the US states that have no  or very low sales tax.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 7

4 minutes ago, SarahKB7 Koskinen said:

Does this mean that displayed store prices will not actually be the same price Americans have to actually pay at the vendor?!

Probably.  After all, everyone's tax rate is different, so it would be impossible to display a one-size-fits-all price that includes tax.

• Confused 1

8 minutes ago, SarahKB7 Koskinen said:

Does this mean that displayed store prices will not actually be the same price Americans have to actually pay at the vendor?!

😜

This won't apply to inworld sales, though a creator may increase their prices to offset any sales tax that they might have to pay for things --- but that is highly unlikely.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We Europeans don't pay sales taxes over purchases for the use in SL.
Only for tier for mainland and premium memberships. So for what LL is directly charging.
And they have different VAT charge per European country, because it differs for each country as well.

For land tier with land barons I don't pay VAT so far.
But I guess prices will increase with American land barons pretty soon when they have to pay taxes.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 6

Here in England, the displayed (real world) store price already includes the VAT as default, so there's no extra charge to pay at the point of transaction.  All store reciepts have a VAT registration number printed on them, so the customer may claim back the VAT from HMRC (Her Majesty's Revenue & Customs) should they need to for business tax reasons.

I like our VAT system. We all pay in and we all get something back in return, such as our free access to doctors and hospitals with no medical bills. Ever.

Edited by SarahKB7 Koskinen
  • Like 7

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 736 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.