Deploy Plan for the Week of 2022-02-07

Caleb Linden

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 850 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• Lindens

Second Life Server

The main channel will be bounced and remain on the same version as the previous week.

https://releasenotes.secondlife.com/simulator/2022-01-06.567269.html

Tuesday 2022-02-08 06:00-11:00 PST

Second Life RC:

All of the RC regions will be getting a new version. Please, check link for details.

https://releasenotes.secondlife.com/simulator/2022-02-02.568051.html

Wednesday 2022-02-09 07:00-09:30 PST

On Region Restarts:

Given that rolling restarts are happening grid-wide, no simulators with >10 day uptime are anticipated to exist after the rolling restarts.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

46 minutes ago, MBeatrix said:

Not all were, though...

This is symptomatic of the inexplicable decision-making processes extant within LL.

Maxidox "explained" in the last post on last week's release thread that they felt that as a result of the failure of that week's Main Server roll to complete in a timely manner, they would not even attempt to complete the roll, citing that it would reduce confusion.  All that did was kick the can of confusion down the road by a week.

What then were the restarts on Monday, reported both last week and this?

• Like 1

• Lindens
On 2/8/2022 at 2:10 AM, Aishagain said:

@Caleb Lindenfor the second time, what does "bounced" mean?

Are the regions themselves made of rubber, that would explain the "rubber banding", I suppose.

The Main Server regions were restarted last week, so why would ANY of them need a restart this week?

When we say that we are "bouncing" a region we mean that we are stopping the simulator on which it is running and bring that region back up on a new simulator without changing the version. Essentially, it is a mass restart across an entire channel.  When we say "Roll" we generally mean that we are stopping a region, installing a new version of the simulator and bringing it back up with the shiny new software. 

If we are not rolling a new version on any given week we usually like to bounce instead. This is to make sure that the regions don't stay up too long and run into memory issues or other problems... it also gives us a chance to clear out any feral meeroos that may have nested inside the hardware. 

Rubber servers isn't a bad idea.  Please file a Feature Request JIRA for upgrading the simulators from Neoprene to Fluorosilicone.

• Haha 4

5 hours ago, LoganPryor said:

Looks like there was a problem with 568051 as the RC regions have rolled back to 567269

Thanks, I saw the Status message but there was nothing about whether the version was being changed, just "Investigating" as if they didn't know who had pushed the button.

We have to guess what the Lindens are really doing, and I am not sure that they know.

• Lindens

14 hours ago, LoganPryor said:

Looks like there was a problem with 568051 as the RC regions have rolled back to 567269

Yes, we discovered an issue with 2022-02-02.568051 - LSL scripts using llRequestAgentData() with parameter DATA_PAYINFO were getting corrupt results on that version, matching what DATA_RATING returns.  Due of this issue, the RC regions had an emergency rollback to the build on SLS, 2022-01-06.567269.

• Thanks 5

@Linden Lab

In progress - Scheduled maintenance is currently in progress. We will provide updates as necessary.
Feb 15, 06:00 PST
Scheduled - We will be performing rolling restarts for regions on the main Second Life Server channel on Tuesday, February 15th, beginning at approximately 6:00 AM PDT. Please refrain from rezzing no copy objects before and during the restart, and remember to save all builds. Please check this blog for updates.

And just why in the name of sweet reason are you restarting Main Server this week?  Did you still manage to miss some regions after two attempts?

ETA 15/02.2022: And it seems Woods of Heaven is "lucky" again, we restarted some 30 mins ago.

FETA:  I wonder, having re read Rider Linden's post above, whether that was a tacit admission that for some reason the simulators need restarting every 7 days again.  More memory leaks, perhaps?  Or just stubborn Meeroo nests!

Edited by Aishagain

This is faintly ludicrous.  There is an RC Channel roll in progress, we know the software version being rolled to at least some regions and yet there is no post in the release thread from  LL and the release notes information is being withheld from us. 

Just what sort of corporate idiocy is this?

One week we have LL staff freely disseminating information, the next this.

It's not even consistently poor performance...but then, this IS SL.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Aishagain said:

This is faintly ludicrous.  There is an RC Channel roll in progress, we know the software version being rolled to at least some regions and yet there is no post in the release thread from  LL and the release notes information is being withheld from us. 

People get busy and have not had time to post it yet or publish it?   Life does happen and it's not going to be instant, you should know this by now, breattheeee.  hehe

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Aishagain said:

Umm, excuse me @bigmoe Whitfield but this is their JOB.  They get paid to do it.  So did I and if I didn't do my job people complained.  It's not as if this new code deploy was an unexpected happening.

Now you are getting after me,  yes it is their job, but there are times when people are busy and things happen.   remember to breath.  they will get to it.   breathe :) 

• Sad 1

28 minutes ago, Aishagain said:

@bigmoe WhitfieldIt's not MY breathing that needs regulating, it's theirs, I hope they are still breathing! 😁

So, Aisha, imagine in your RL occupation you made a minor error and someone reacted by telling you something like...

5 hours ago, Aishagain said:

What would your reaction be?

• Administrators

Hey folks,

Just as a reminder, while we do welcome feedback whether it be positive or negative, please remember to remain civil when sharing this feedback. Failure to express yourself in an appropriate manner may result in posts being removed and all that jazz.

giphy.gif

Thanks!

@Theresa TennysonIn my line of RL work, there WAS no room for error.  If I made a mistake either by ommision or commisiom, someone most likey would die!  And on my terms I was being nice, I have a very great deal of respect for many Linden Lab employees and I considered my remarks measured, mild and entirely reasonable.  Others may think otherwise, that is their right.  If my words are not considerd fair by the powers that be, so be it.

3 hours ago, Aishagain said:

@Theresa TennysonIn my line of RL work, there WAS no room for error.  If I made a mistake either by ommision or commisiom, someone most likey would die!  And on my terms I was being nice, I have a very great deal of respect for many Linden Lab employees and I considered my remarks measured, mild and entirely reasonable.  Others may think otherwise, that is their right.  If my words are not considerd fair by the powers that be, so be it.

I did not even click anything to report the behavior or anything,  I got a chuckle out of it and was very much trying to make you not pop a blood vessel in your head hehe.    my way of saying, yay!  because you care about this lots.   I just didnt want you do over strain.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 850 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.