Is that how it rolls?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 839 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I got an IM from someone who had a question about a chess game in SL. They were mentioning the following (emphasis are mine):

[...] he rolled white and it went and then rolled black and [...]

First, I was wondering if they were confused with backgammon, but now I'm just wondering whether this is just dialect, in which 'roll' means 'move'.

Do people say 'roll' anywhere in the English-speaking world, when they refer to moving a chess peace?

It's difficult to definitively say 'no', as I'm not omnipresent, but I'd attribute it to the person in question probably not being a grandmaster of chess terminology. I know a fair few Swedes who'll use 'roll' to describe various activities within board gaming and role playing, even when there are no dice involved, when they are unsure of the correct terms - particularly for 'turns'. 

"Your roll!"
   "But we're playing Battleships ..."
   "Ja?"

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Arduenn Schwartzman said:

I got an IM from someone who had a question about a chess game in SL. They were mentioning the following (emphasis are mine):

First, I was wondering if they were confused with backgammon, but now I'm just wondering whether this is just dialect, in which 'roll' means 'move'.

Do people say 'roll' anywhere in the English-speaking world, when they refer to moving a chess peace?

Doesn't white always go first in chess? Do you have a coin toss mechanism as an alternative?

15 minutes ago, Lucia Nightfire said:

Doesn't white always go first in chess? Do you have a coin toss mechanism as an alternative?

Yes, white always goes first. I can't find anything here in the thread that would suggest otherwise, though.

You could toss a coin to decide who plays with white, but more often, one player just hides a white pawn in one hand and a black one in the other and the other player randomly picks one. In tournaments, designation of colors is always predetermined by the tournament organizers who use a complex and varying set of rules for that.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Arduenn Schwartzman said:

Yes, white always goes first. I can't find anything here in the thread that would suggest otherwise, though.

You could toss a coin to decide who plays with white, but more often, one player just hides a white pawn in one hand and a black one in the other and the other player randomly picks one. In tournaments, designation of colors is always predetermined by the tournament organizers who use a complex and varying set of rules for that.

I guess I was interpreting "he rolled white" as a start to a game.

• Like 1

I used to be pretty into chess at one point and I never heard "roll" being used to describe a move.

I played with my grandfather when I was a kid. I thought he would let me win but the men in my family always play to win. I remember thd first time I realised I was about to win, making the move, giving a tentative "checkmate?", and him looking hard at the board, realising I'd won and then raising his eyes to me with a huge grin.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Arduenn Schwartzman said:

[...] he rolled white and it went and then rolled black and [...]

From just this snippet of the convo, it makes it sound as if the opponent moved both white and black pieces?  HE rolled white and IT went (assume meaning the white piece moved) then WHO rolled black and WHAT happened?

6 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

it sound as if the opponent moved both white and black pieces?

Yeah, the player tried to play against himself. But when he tried to play black, the piece 'didn't move' ("he rolled white and it went and then   rolled black and it wont go"). Maybe it was an illegal move, which the game automatically prohibits. Or maybe another player joined the game after the first player's first move. In that case, the first player can also not move black.

Edited by Arduenn Schwartzman
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Arduenn Schwartzman said:

Sounds like the chess pieces were rubberbanding. The game could have been lagging.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Amina Sopwith said:

I used to be pretty into chess at one point and I never heard "roll" being used to describe a move.

I played with my grandfather when I was a kid. I thought he would let me win but the men in my family always play to win. I remember thd first time I realised I was about to win, making the move, giving a tentative "checkmate?", and him looking hard at the board, realising I'd won and then raising his eyes to me with a huge grin.

My brother was a chess wiz. The one time I managed to beat him, it pissed him off. He refused to play me after that.

There are no rules against changing strategy several times during the course of the game.  That's what happens when people deliberately try to make me look stupid. You won't see it coming either.

Edited by Silent Mistwalker
  • Like 2

I bet if you could hear them you'd be able to figure out where they were from and 'roll' might be a regional dialect for 'move'. It reminds me of the first time I heard a southerner say, "I mashed the start button". I immediately thought they were putting food on the button but after listening to them for a few more minutes it dawned on me that they were using the word to mean 'press'. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Bree Giffen said:

I bet if you could hear them you'd be able to figure out where they were from and 'roll' might be a regional dialect for 'move'. It reminds me of the first time I heard a southerner say, "I mashed the start button". I immediately thought they were putting food on the button but after listening to them for a few more minutes it dawned on me that they were using the word to mean 'press'. 

It's better to mash the button rather than smash the button. 😉

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 839 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.