Bellisseria Bots?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 927 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have not been to this forum for the last few months. If this subject has been covered, I apologize for the repeat.

I have a home at Bellisseria, which I've had for close to two years. No problems to speak of with neighbors or loose animals. A nice quiet area to live at and enjoy the solitude. Recently, I've noticed two 'individuals' hanging around my residence. On the surface, no big deal. Probably just checking the area out. However, I have noticed them again and again, same spot every time. They don't move.

Checking their profiles turns up empty. Nothing. Nada. I got curious and stepped outside and zoomed into them.

One, a male, was just standing. Some body movement and packing heat in his waistband. The other, a female, was standing on a hill behind my house in a bikini. No lake, river or shoreline was close by. CIA 101 states that to not be noticed, don't attract attention to oneself. Dress the part. Be that wallflower that will be forgotten once you leave the area. These two would have washed out in week one.

After noticing the two, I expanded my draw distance to the max. I was surprised at the result. A large number on these avatars were created within days of each other and they are scattered around my parcel. All had empty profiles.

I understand ToS will allow bots as long as they are properly identified as such in the profile. Did I mention these profiles were empty?

Can something be done to move these 'people' along. Yes, it's a virtual world and no real RL problems are presented. It's the idea of just parking an avatar in a certain spot and walking away.

Anyone else have the same problem and what did you do?

For the record, I spend most of my time at a private region. I find the Belli house a great spot to set up photo shoots. I have the primage to do so.

Screenshot 2021-12-18 002621.png

28 minutes ago, Schatzi Timmerman said:

I understand ToS will allow bots as long as they are properly identified as such in the profile. Did I mention these profiles were empty?

Bots have to be identified to Linden Lab on the website. It doesn't display their status on the profile.

I have had my current Belli home for 8 months and have had others since they first opened, and I've never seen bots in the vicinity. Maybe they are trying to claim homes in a particular desirable area?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Schatzi Timmerman said:

As Maitimo already posted, it's a setting for LL only, it's not publicly seen.
However... it should be i think + a public seen name of the bot owners main account and reason they are around.

The amount of bots is absurdly high since some time , in my opinion to high and should get regulated to get this annoyance of whole herds removed.
The subject comes up to often here.
I locked my region to prevent them comming in, there is no single reason why they want to visit a region over 10/20 times a day for checking whatever they check.

Edited by Alwin Alcott
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Alwin Alcott said:

The amount of bots is absurdly high since some time , in my opinion to high and should get regulated to get this annoyance of whole herds removed.

It's not as high as we might believe, there was recently a change by LL that briefly prevented all client's not using LL login code from accessing the grid (bots, text clients, mobile clients like lumiya, etc). This did not impact online population numbers in any dramatic way.

There are a small number of bot operators who tend to operate a large number of accounts, which is obviously bad when we find a cluster of them all together in world, but as a percentage of the online population, it's not as high as perceived.

This is probably why LL do not take action to stop this, looking solely at the statistics they don't see it as a problem.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Coffee Pancake said:

It's not as high as we might believe, there was recently a change by LL that briefly prevented all client's not using LL login code from accessing the grid (bots, text clients, mobile clients like lumiya, etc). This did not impact online population numbers in any dramatic way.

OMG this is not true at all. That incident proved that around 50% of concurrency is bots. To clarify, on that day it dropped from around 45,000 to around 23,000 in the space of an hour.

Edited by Maitimo
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I don't understand what the issue is?  Not everyone in SL does the same things as everyone else.  Just because the avatar is not moving does not mean they are a bot.  They could be having a private conversation or playing a game or scripting.  You just don't know.  Seems rather xenophobic to me.

If they are not on your property it's really none of your business.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

10 minutes ago, kali Wylder said:

I don't understand what the issue is?  Not everyone in SL does the same things as everyone else.  Just because the avatar is not moving does not mean they are a bot.  They could be having a private conversation or playing a game or scripting.  You just don't know.  Seems rather xenophobic to me.

If they are not on your property it's really none of your business.

I don't quite get it either. Why would anyone get a Belli home and just park a bot/bots in it? I park my av on my parcel all the time when I'm building or landscaping or decorating and just move my cam around, only occasionally moving my avatar for a better cam angle. I also park in my house sometimes and chat or park up on my island oasis in the sky. 

I'm guessing that is supposed to mean all of my accounts, including my main, are all bots. Yeah. Ok. Whatever trips your (general) trigger. 🙄

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Schatzi Timmerman said:

I have not been to this forum for the last few months. If this subject has been covered, I apologize for the repeat.

I have a home at Bellisseria, which I've had for close to two years. No problems to speak of with neighbors or loose animals. A nice quiet area to live at and enjoy the solitude. Recently, I've noticed two 'individuals' hanging around my residence. On the surface, no big deal. Probably just checking the area out. However, I have noticed them again and again, same spot every time. They don't move.

Checking their profiles turns up empty. Nothing. Nada. I got curious and stepped outside and zoomed into them.

One, a male, was just standing. Some body movement and packing heat in his waistband. The other, a female, was standing on a hill behind my house in a bikini. No lake, river or shoreline was close by. CIA 101 states that to not be noticed, don't attract attention to oneself. Dress the part. Be that wallflower that will be forgotten once you leave the area. These two would have washed out in week one.

After noticing the two, I expanded my draw distance to the max. I was surprised at the result. A large number on these avatars were created within days of each other and they are scattered around my parcel. All had empty profiles.

Can something be done to move these 'people' along. Yes, it's a virtual world and no real RL problems are presented. It's the idea of just parking an avatar in a certain spot and walking away.

Anyone else have the same problem and what did you do?

For the record, I spend most of my time at a private region. I find the Belli house a great spot to set up photo shoots. I have the primage to do so.

Screenshot 2021-12-18 002621.png

Is Tiny Empires still a thing?  They look like they may be Tiny Empires players - although I cannot be sure and am unable to log in to look right now - but they would choose a place to be for the same reason as you like where you live, so that they are less likely to be disturbed while they build up their in-world time.  

2 minutes ago, Marigold Devin said:

Is Tiny Empires still a thing?  They look like they may be Tiny Empires players - although I cannot be sure and am unable to log in to look right now - but they would choose a place to be for the same reason as you like where you live, so that they are less likely to be disturbed while they build up their in-world time.  

Looks that way.

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Tiny-Empires-Free-Trial-Massively-Multiplayer-HUD-Game/184197

http://www.tinyempires.com/

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Schatzi Timmerman said:

A large number on these avatars were created within days of each other and they are scattered around my parcel. All had empty profiles.

Either I have missed someone mentioning this part, or all the other responders have missed this part.

All the bots/avatars are on YOUR parcel in Bellisseria, and are using YOUR home. 
Look in your home controller and get your LL security system out. Configure it (assuming you want to give certain others access to your parcel) and enable it. The unauthorised avatars (or bots) inhabiting your parcel will be gone in no time flat.

EDIT: Looking at the pic you originally posted, it seems that several of these avatars would be floating in mid air over your parcel. The LL security system will NOT work for avatars that are located at between 400 and 2000m height. To get rid of these, you may have to (temporarily!) use a non-LL security system until the plage is over.

Edited by Fritigern Gothly
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Fritigern Gothly said:

Either I have missed someone mentioning this part, or all the other responders have missed this part.

All the bots/avatars are on YOUR parcel in Bellisseria, and are using YOUR home. 
Look in your home controller and get your LL security system out. Configure it (assuming you want to give certain others access to your parcel) and enable it. The unauthorised avatars (or bots) inhabiting your parcel will be gone in no time flat.

From her picture, they are quite far from her parcel.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Maitimo said:

OMG this is not true at all. That incident proved that around 50% of concurrency is bots. To clarify, on that day it dropped from around 45,000 to around 23,00 in the space of an hour.

The specific issue that blocked non LL login code (because LL login code isn't to spec and the 3rd party implementations are) lasted for days.

The grid is not 50% bots.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Maitimo said:

OMG this is not true at all. That incident proved that around 50% of concurrency is bots. To clarify, on that day it dropped from around 45,000 to around 23,00 in the space of an hour.

It did not drop to 23k from 45k. You're probably referring to this thread, though. 

And that number someone posted was taken at the lowest concurency time and it was 26.8k instead of the usual 29k for that exact time on the same exact day of a week. Peak hours on the very same day (before LL fixed anything) were also about ~3k less than average for that day of a week and that's about it. Statistics is out of there if you bother to look, but of course it's easier not to.

Difficult to say how many bots out of there as they might log out/relog all the time, but from that accident, just like Coffee said, it's pretty clear the total number is not too high compared to the total online numbers.

Edited by steeljane42
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, steeljane42 said:

Difficult to say how many bots out of there as they might log out/relog all the time, but from that accident, just like Coffee said, it's pretty clear the total number is not too high compared to the total online numbers.

Also keep in mind any observed drop in concurrency included all the regular users who access SL with text client (Radegast) or something like Lumiya.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 927 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.