Completely ersased Firestorm from my computer - I thought ?

cunomar

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 947 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

If people would actually READ the information on the Firestorm blog BEFORE trying the DIY method, their lives would be much easier.   Having READ all the info needed it took me -- as said by someone else -- about five minutes to install the latest version.  I didn't loose my settings as I had a BACKUP in a  secure location (several actually)  and I RESTORED using the backup option once the NEW VERSION was in place.    

Note that none of this is NEW FS behavior.  Backups have been in FS for years now.  If you don't use that function then, yes you will need to painstakingly go through all your preference files.  If you wanted to convert FS Windlight settings to EEP you needed to save the skies folder -  again in a different and secure location. ALL if this is documented on the Firetorm blog. 

And AFAIK Firestorm will NOT update anything FOR  YOU (like Chrome and Windows) -- hence you downloading and installing --  so "they" didn't make a change a couple of weeks ago. Linden Lab may have made a change that "broke" something in FS for you or Windows may have made a change.    

The introductory page to the latest Version of FS is here:https://www.firestormviewer.org/firestorm-release-6-4-21-64531/

Installation instructions (for windows) are here: https://www.firestormviewer.org/windows/

Updating instructions are here: https://wiki.firestormviewer.org/fs_update_viewer

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Aishagain said:

I confess to being utterly baffled by some of the comments on this thread.  For one thing I saw no-one seeming to understand the difference between uninstalling a programme (an app to some younger users) and updating one.  It is very useful  to have some elements of a programme's settings saved so that the set-up of the update is made easier and quicker. Also what is so difficult and onerous about responding to a process asking a simple yes/no question?

The whole point of such refinements is to give the user a choice!

To some, it seems to me, choice is something they neither want nor need and they don't want others to have it either!

The instructions given by the uninstall utility are simple and clear.  They are NOT hard to follow.

For those who dislike these issues my response is simple.  I strongly advise you never to use computers.

You are, of course, entitled to your opinion and to have a stick up your own arse should you so desire, BUT out in the real world many people have such a lot more to do than just read every single thing, and do you know what - that's what forums are for - to HELP people who might just not be quite as 'switched on' as other people. Lucky for you that things are obvious and fall into place, but not everyone is like that. Looking at Firestorm's website, for example, isn't so straightforward, there is a lot of information to get in 30 seconds, but to you, it's all crystal clear obviously. It wouldn't do for us all to be the same.

I know I am learning something new every day. At one time I didn't even know what a megapixel is, and do you know what, my lack of knowledge did not cause anything or anyone important to die.

Second Life is primarily for leisure and pleasure, and anything in that category should not be such a massive ball ache. There is NEVER any need for anyone to be so belittling or "superior", because I am sure you are not perfect at every single thing you attempt to participate in in your life.

The original poster came here for help, and you can tut and hrrumph as much as you like. And if you don't like people asking for help, if you think they/we who do ask for help sometimes are too thick to be using computers, well it's just tough t1tty. 

• Confused 1

Blimey @Marigold Devin You have completely misunderstood my post.  I have not the slightest issue with someone asking for help, nor did I suggest that there was any laziness in folk preferring simplicity.  To my mind the existing uninstall utility IS the most simple procedure.  The actions needed are straightforwardly explained during the process.  That is all.

It seems that Chic Aeon, posting above, understands this and I would think that Chic would consider herself fairly representative of the majority of users.

Edited by Aishagain

2 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

The OP was given the info on how to uninstall any other existing files in the 1st response.  

Perhaps my pet peeve should have been when a great answer has already been given and then clusterf*ckery is added afterwards o.O . 

I added a screenshot on page one and realised it was surplus to requirements and feeling like a dolls head I removed it. 

Hey i am catching up with you all , this week because of all this i actually pressed the windows button for the first time ever .

I knew there used to be a search box somewhere so i googled where has it gone . windows button + S to open the search box , which is about as blatantly obvious as a needle in a haystack to someone who was 30+ before they ever touched a keyboard and only then reluctantly because the kids kept breaking theirs and its my job to fix everything so they seem to think .

I said on another thread recently "instructions 1 to 10"

1. make a file = hours of googling how to make a file until you become so bored of the whole idea you never do read number 2 .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

59 minutes ago, cunomar said:

Hey i am catching up with you all , this week because of all this i actually pressed the windows button for the first time ever .

I knew there used to be a search box somewhere so i googled where has it gone . windows button + S to open the search box , which is about as blatantly obvious as a needle in a haystack to someone who was 30+ before they ever touched a keyboard and only then reluctantly because the kids kept breaking theirs and its my job to fix everything so they seem to think .

I said on another thread recently "instructions 1 to 10"

1. make a file = hours of googling how to make a file until you become so bored of the whole idea you never do read number 2 .

I never had a computer before I was over 35.  Been a few years now, (ahem).  I was over 40 before joining SL.  Never took a class, never really had anyone to explain it to me.  Somehow, I've managed to do quite well on the various devices I've acquired and made it through every version Firestorm has thrown out there.  Most things I've figured out myself through trial and error.

• Like 3

Good for you Rowan .

I admit i enjoyed it some in the early days , just learning something new had the extended family all bringing their laptops to me for fixing . British Telecom took remote control of one with problems and failed to fix it . I ended up calling them to tell them how i fixed it .

XP was designed by human beings though , there was some common sense about it . Win 7 and 8 were a natural progression i suppose . But win10 completely switched me off . It was designed by robots for brain dead spoilt children , so bad they had to force people to use it .

My computer no longer belongs to me , if i fix something they "repair" it and there ain't no point in learning anything because they will change it tomorrow anyway .

At least them awful touchscreen ipad things which take complete control of user experience actually work , windows has become a cheap and nasty messed up mixed up poor copy of the same .

Call it lazy if you like , I can only explain its more like a fella i know who is obsessed with golf , I have been stuck in his company for hours at a time while he talks and talks about golf .

I switch off , so after many years my entire knowledge of him and the game starts and ends with "he likes golf"

Edited by cunomar
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 11/19/2021 at 4:23 AM, cunomar said:

No , I got nothing to backup

So you ignored the Firestorm web page for a clean install, and just installed another copy of Firestorm over your broken one?  Sometimes that works if it overwrites the corrupted or bad settings and files.  Nothing to be proud of, but following rules isn't your thing, rules are for suckers.

But you DO have a lot to Backup up - any and all the settings you now have to reset, AND most of the files that can get corrupted.  You don't understand that like most large programs, Firestorm has dozens of data files that it needs to work.  Backup makes a good copy of these files in a safe place BEFORE you break Firestorm.  It does NOT actually back up your personal data. It backs up the data you need to fix Firestorm after you break it.  

Then when something goes wrong, all you to do is go to the Backup/Restore tab in Firestorm Preferences, and press the Restore button.  Then you have to press ONE more button on the  popup box, that says Restore & Quit, and Firestorm does just that.

That is it.  Would have taken you about 1 minute of your time to fix your problem. But since you never did the Firestorm Backup when things were working, you had to go through all this extra work.  Now we are suggesting you Backup your settings once you have restored them manually.  That's the advantage in reading the help menu and instructions. But you did it your way...

Frank Sinatra song in the background...

You won't get this either, since you have your sound turned off on your computer.

Edited by Jaylinbridges
  • Like 1

On 11/19/2021 at 1:27 AM, cunomar said:

So much really simple stuff could be fixed if LL would just invite some older people who have never used a computer before just to study what they struggle with while offering no other advice other than "google it"

When I first joined SL as an "elder" about 12 years ago, everyone told me and I just assumed that there was a steep initial learning curve to SL.  It took me about one month to feel confident enough to build straight fences, skyboxes that didn't collapse to the ground, and which color ball to sit on when poses were edited from a notecard you had to load each time.  That was part of the fun.  I remember building this rather large skybox full of furniture and a horse farm outside.  I was curious what this Physical box did in objects while in Edit.  So I made my platform physical, and oops it tilted and everything fell 2000 meters to the ground, mostly landing in the landlord's yard and lake.  He did ask why my skybox was sitting sideways in his lake with Amaretto horses scattered everywhere, but didn't ban me.  That's how you learn.

I never expected Second Life to be as simple to operate as a toaster.  Apparently some older people these days think we need one lever to push and SL pops up all perfectly toasted and ready to spread avocado mesh onto.  

Edited by Jaylinbridges
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, Jaylinbridges said:

So I made my platform physical, and oops it tilted and everything fell 2000 meters to the ground, mostly landing in the landlord's yard and lake.  He did ask why my skybox was sitting sideways in his lake with Amaretto horses scattered everywhere, but didn't ban me.  That's how you learn.

Tiktok has got a lot to answer for. Although I have a vivid imagination and am laughing at the thought of this happening, I found myself wishing I could see and replay that. 

When I was a relatively newbie, I was standing in a sky box full of traffic bots merrily taking photos as was my little hobby back then when all of a sudden, one of the 'bots' turned his head towards me, a piece of floor suddenly vanished, and I plummeted to the ground. I learned and laughed a lot that day too.

• Like 1

On 11/21/2021 at 3:52 AM, Marigold Devin said:

Tiktok has got a lot to answer for. Although I have a vivid imagination and am laughing at the thought of this happening, I found myself wishing I could see and replay that. 

When I was a relatively newbie, I was standing in a sky box full of traffic bots merrily taking photos as was my little hobby back then when all of a sudden, one of the 'bots' turned his head towards me, a piece of floor suddenly vanished, and I plummeted to the ground. I learned and laughed a lot that day too.

Wow.  I wonder if it was coded to do that or if a person took the helm to deal with the intruder?  I have had the experience of bots "waking up" to deal with me, but usually in response to my asking questions.  Unfortunately I have not been able to elicit this behavior since the announcement that using bots to manipulate traffic statistics would not be tolerated.  Unfortunately, using bots to manipulate traffic statistics is still tolerated but the fun of provoking them to react seems to be gone.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ardy Lay said:

Wow.  I wonder if it was coded to do that or if a person took the helm to deal with the intruder?  I have had the experience of bots "waking up" to deal with me, but usually in response to my asking questions.  Unfortunately I have not been able to elicit this behavior since the announcement that using bots to manipulate traffic statistics would not be tolerated.  Unfortunately, using bots to manipulate traffic statistics is still tolerated but the fun of provoking them to react seems to be gone.

I think I misjudged the situation and the owner of the bots was in with the bots, but his avatar was so undeveloped that he blended in perfectly with all the other avatars in the skybox.  These days a lot of the traffic bots seem to be better disguised, in that they will look more like a club room full of people dancing and playing musical instruments, but they just don't respond at all when spoken to.  I used to particularly love it when a bots' owner only had them on sky platforms, from which it was so easy to just push them off one by one and have them plummet to the ground.  Quite why that was fun I don't remember now.  

Am I showing my 'bad' side by confessing all this? Tee hee. 

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, Marigold Devin said:

I think I misjudged the situation and the owner of the bots was in with the bots, but his avatar was so undeveloped that he blended in perfectly with all the other avatars in the skybox.  These days a lot of the traffic bots seem to be better disguised, in that they will look more like a club room full of people dancing and playing musical instruments, but they just don't respond at all when spoken to.  I used to particularly love it when a bots' owner only had them on sky platforms, from which it was so easy to just push them off one by one and have them plummet to the ground.  Quite why that was fun I don't remember now.  

Am I showing my 'bad' side by confessing all this? Tee hee. 

Hmm, pushing avatars off platforms used to be considered great fun where I hang out but we found better things to do, I guess.  Once upon a time we would decorate those that were AFK for a while and hope for a good reaction when they returned.  Weird and funny hats and out-size facial hair were favorites.  Years later one set of those remain in a corner of the platform, reminding us of the days when that person was still around regularly.

Other favorites were building big cakes around them, putting them in barrels, or scooping them up and depositing them in another region.

Then the griefing began.  Somebody we didn't know would come in and violently relocate several of us in a short time, and that took all the fun out of such shenanigans so we stopped.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Ardy Lay said:

Hmm, pushing avatars off platforms used to be considered great fun where I hang out but we found better things to do, I guess.  Once upon a time we would decorate those that were AFK for a while and hope for a good reaction when they returned.  Weird and funny hats and out-size facial hair were favorites.  Years later one set of those remain in a corner of the platform, reminding us of the days when that person was still around regularly.

Other favorites were building big cakes around them, putting them in barrels, or scooping them up and depositing them in another region.

Then the griefing began.  Somebody we didn't know would come in and violently relocate several of us in a short time, and that took all the fun out of such shenanigans so we stopped.

Ahh the memories, and I know I have some photos somewhere of such shenanigans. :D 

Hey look what i found

It would only take me 11 hours or so to do all that wrong when i don't want to save anything at all anyway .

But sadly you can't uninstall firestorm in the same way you can remove any security antivirus or browser with the time honoured method of add/remove programs because ................................... ?

Edited by cunomar
  • Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 947 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.