Media Influence, Stereotypes, And RL/SL Comparisons

Luna Bliss

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 976 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I think it's good they removed smoking ads in the U.S.  How harmful does something have to be, or what factors should influence decisions, before society sanctions removal of ads and depictions?  For example, in SL we are allowed to depict smoking but not swastikas (at least I don't think we can depict the latter).  What makes the difference?

Edited by Luna Bliss
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Luna Bliss said:

we are allowed to depict smoking but not swastikas

Maybe someone else has a better grasp of the TOS than I, but I'm pretty sure swastikas are allowed. Especially on Adult land.

Unless you argue they violate:

Cruel or hateful content that could harm, harass, promote or condone violence against, or that is primarily intended to incite hatred of, animals, or individuals or groups based on race or ethnic origin, religion, nationality, disability, gender, age, veteran status, or sexual orientation/gender identity.

https://www.lindenlab.com/legal/content-guidelines

Edited by Quistess Alpha
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Quistess Alpha said:

Maybe someone else has a better grasp of the TOS than I, but I'm pretty sure swastikas are allowed. Especially on Adult land.

I don't think there used to be an issue with swastikas, but the times have changed, even in SL.  I think now, if reported, they get removed under the 'hate speech / intolerance / discrimination" clauses.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Luna Bliss said:

I think it's good they removed smoking ads in the U.S.  How harmful does something have to be, or what factors should influence decisions, before society sanctions removal of ads and depictions?  For example, in SL we are allowed to depict smoking but not swastikas (at least I don't think we can depict the latter).  What makes the difference?

That is because Swastikas promote hate speech and therefore violates TOS. Whereas smoking does not, do either. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Chris Nova said:
8 hours ago, Luna Bliss said:

*Let's stick to the topic and not politicize the issues.

Its always amusing when one starts a discussion thats ripe for politicizing but says not to politicize it.

Everything is political...haven't you heard that?

When I say not to politicize the issue I mean hard politics...like one political side trashing the other...making it a war between political party views.  No need to do that.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2

Just now, Luna Bliss said:

Everything is political...haven't you heard that?

When I say not to politicize the issue I mean hard politics...like one political side trashing the other...making it a war between political party views.  No need to do that.

Its gonna happen whether you want it to or not. Thats what happens with issues like this. Issues like this are ripe for it. And you can't control that.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Luna Bliss said:

For example, in SL we are allowed to depict smoking but not swastikas (at least I don't think we can depict the latter).  What makes the difference?

My own view is that smoking is not usually done with the intention of harassing others, it is not a methodology of spreading hate and fear.  For me, it is the intent behind the imagery, if the intent is meant to cause harm to others I am not opposed to censorship.  

This all dwells in one's sense of ethics though, and I rarely argue from the point of ethics considering I am nearly nihilistic and consider them to be based upon one's own subjective views rather than objective fact.  

Edited by Istelathis
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Chris Nova said:

Its gonna happen whether you want it to or not. Thats what happens with issues like this. Issues like this are ripe for it. And you can't control that.

I disagree. It can be controlled to a degree via people on the thread requesting that we not make this into a party argument.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Luna Bliss said:

I disagree. It can be controlled to a degree via people on the thread requesting that we not make this into a party argument.

LOL! Requesting people not respond a certain way is...futile. This is a public forum and you cannot control what another person says.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Chris Nova said:
4 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

LOL! Requesting people not respond a certain way is...futile. This is a public forum and you cannot control what another person says.

Naww...I've seen people back down with a little encouragement.

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Luna Bliss said:

I think you mean bullying, belittling and harrassing.  

It's not backing down, its censorship.  You shout louder and longer than everyone else to drown out opinions and ideas so people give up.  I have not seen ONE PERSON turn around, give up their beliefs, opinions and viewpoints and agree with yours!

Edited by Jordan Whitt
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 6

7 hours ago, Luna Bliss said:

Thats Bad GIFs | Tenor               Kermit Youtube GIFs | Tenor

Scared Dracula GIF - Scared Dracula Hotel Transylvania Transformania -  Discover & Share GIFs

Nervous Sign Of The Cross GIF - Nervous Sign Of The Cross Praying GIFs     Kermit The Frog Unacceptable GIF - Kermit The Frog Unacceptable Not -  Discover & Share GIFs                                                                           

Latest Hiding GIFs | Gfycat

Edited by roseelvira
  • Haha 2

17 hours ago, Luna Bliss said:

The answer is, simply and complicated enough, perceived consensus on a corporate level. Any deliberation about harm and influence is moot when what decides a platform's action is lost value for shareholders/owners. Cynical? Maybe. But if you want smoking to be banned too, all you need to do is stir up the pot to the level that media attention snaps onto it and the $$$ value is in danger. 

Look at something like Reddit. It's got a thousand or more communities all focused on various things. Amongst those things are some truly and utterly vile things. Every couple of months the site gets into the headlines because of these communities. Then it's a dozen articles or so lambasting media's harmful influence and then the communities get banned. Case in point: It didn't matter one bit that thousands of people reported a community about ogling underage girls in swimsuits before media got wind of it - and then it went down quick.

And the important part here is the perceived consensus, not necessarily the actual consensus. Social Media allows people to be extremely loud to the point that a single person can shift the entire narrative if they reach critical mass. Case in point, the damage Requires Hate has done to the writing community at large persists to this day. So: The difference is the bottom line of those that make money on it.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Chris Nova said:

Too true. I used to post all the time on here. But I'm thin skinned. A terrible thing for a creative person. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, ValKalAstra said:

Social Media allows people to be extremely loud to the point that a single person can shift the entire narrative if they reach critical mass.

This is a really good point, and touches on the issue PPs have raised about whether you've actually changed a consensus just by being the loudest (without making a partisan statement either way on that particular issue; I'm just talking about the concept in abstract).

The UK got absolutely blue rinsed (haha) in the last general election, but you'd never have known it was coming from social media. If you were paying attention to news sources, you'd know the Tories were going to win but social media alone would give the impression that they had no support...and even the experts didn't expect an absolute landslide like that. There are many issues where people won't put their heads above the parapet, because they've seen what happens to those who do, but it doesn't change what they think. And when they can vote anonymously, the discrepancy between the dominant narrative and what people really believe can become very clear.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 976 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.