Does Second Life plan to get into NFTs ?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 812 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

10 hours ago, Popblender said:

Proof of ownership assigns and protects the value of the asset within the contract.

For me NFTs are like sticky notes on a board. You see a car on the street you like and place a sticker on said board saying "that car is mine now". You own the sticker, yes. But not the car itself. The sticker is absolutely worthless. You show your board to everyone in the world and say "I own this" and everyone will agree... that you own the sticky note only.

Let's say that you own the car and you have that sticker on your board. You want to sell the car to another person and as proof you want to give them the sticker. What would they say? That it's worthless, and they want actual ownership transfer regulated by law, signing an actual contract, passing registration etc.

You want to "mint" the car, make something that is based on it, and call it your own (not make the picture of the car and play with it, but let's say replace wheels and spoiler, remove the original logo and branding, then call it PopBlenderCar). Well, personally I haven't heard about any car manufacturer officially allowing derivative work based on their cars. Usually, if you "remix, transform, or build upon the material" you are sued for copyright infringement, unless a license clearly states otherwise.

Also the "NFT can be shared across platforms and applications in the real world" argument. Great. I will give you a red cube in Second Life. Or a green one. Or even blue. As a no-copy, I will even delete the original, so you will have the only existing copy of it (that's actually an NFT object within the grid itself already, but let's continue). Now, import it to Call of Duty, Undertale, River Raid or Microsoft Flight Simulator and make sure that it has exactly the same properties and possibilities as it has in Second Life, including 3D manipulation, ability to be hollowed, twisted, recolored, with its own prim inventory etc.

Not possible? "But I have an image of it and I can import it everywhere, therefore the cube is NFT". No, it's not. It's just an image and proves nothing. The cube stays in the Second Life simulator environment, on Linden Lab / OpenSim servers.

---

There ARE some good applications of NFT, but are not really necessary. For example, a lottery tickets system - you can get a digital NFT-ticket and wait for the results of the lottery. But when the winner is revealed, you don't own his/her prize, just the digital NFT-ticket which lost its "probability" value, but in theory can be kept and in a decade or two have some historical value.

But why use NFT for that, when you can just utilize a regular paper ticket, or a digital payment confirmation from a bank or payment processor like PayPal? "Privacy" is not really an option, as blockchain will point at you as the owner of NFT... that's one of its basic functions, after all.

Edited by panterapolnocy
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

The major hurdle in SL is LL owns the servers and there is no URL that points to a unique instance of an item. I suppose you could do one for an SLURL, but even there you couldn't guarantee that spot would never change and you still wouldn't own it since LL owns all assets on the grid by their own ToS. Barring them issuing NFT's which they are certainly not going to do, it's just not happening. So sorry you can't make your millions that way in SL.

URLs were never meant to point to unique objects that do not change. Especially if the standards forget to add any meaningful cryptographic signature of the contents. The Web3 stuff seems to just sign the URL which is utterly useless.

Just read about the prank done by Moxie Marlinspike about his NFT that looks different depending on which client you use: https://moxie.org/2022/01/07/web3-first-impressions.html

I don't think NFT's are over I just think the hype is dying down because people were making money based on greed not true value creation. I think of NFT's as a receipt for a transaction that has entitlements attached to them. For example I plan on selling my yachts on Openseas. The benefit to me is that I can access a larger potential audience outside of SL. Most people don't know about SL so they don't realize how totally immersive the experiences are for aspirational lifestyle digital assets are in SL. 7 years ago I was selling my yachts for $175 US. As an NFT I think I can sell them for $5-$10K or more if I also include an interior designer to work with you in furnishing your yacht, Include your own profit island or home with a dock, with prepaid teir for a period of time. SL already enables you to collaborate with other creator and share the revenues on the sale of a product or service. The problem goes back to your started with a very small target audience to offer your products or services to. If I sell my yachts on Openseas first, then the owner can import a copy into Second Life to retain custody of their digital assets. I still have a lot of steps to work out in the process but that is the direction I'm going with NFT's.

• Haha 1

I think you've missed the boat .. so to speak. Opensea is flooded with garbage computer generated iterative "urt" and stolen work, and the government are coming out to play (today 9th march 2022)

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/03/09/heres-whats-in-bidens-executive-order-on-crypto.html

https://www.cnn.com/2022/03/09/investing/cryptocurrency-executive-order/index.html

https://www.wsj.com/articles/biden-to-order-study-of-cryptocurrency-risk-creation-of-u-s-digital-currency-11646823600 (paywall)

No your missing the point. SL has real value and far more immersive experience than all the other metaverse projects and its not part of robust conversation going on. So Openseas is the right platform to market digital assets.

Here is a recently launched project from the real yacht world. These are real yacht designers in the industry that I know personally. They are missing the boat because they are just selling model yachts that have no interactive experience associated with them. They have no interior and no community. Second life has all that. Second life can simply serve as a viewer to show off your digital assets or allow you to have a totally immersive experience around your digital assets and community. 

CloudYachts - Profile | OpenSea

NFT Superyachts - Cloud Yachts

I created this 8 years ago complete with yacht sales and charter, retail space rental and apartment rentals. I'm in the process of recreating this experience in Second Life with completely updated versions of my 5 yacht models all convert to mesh. I should be able to reduce the prim count for my 120meter 5 level yacht from 2,000 prims to 700-1,000 allowing people to rezz their yacht along with the home on their island or land plot.

The opportunity is there for people that are forward thinking and following whats happening on the blockchain and the metaverse. The Presidents Executive order was a good thing for cryptocurrency because the government is finally acknowledging  the value of the technology and some regulation is needed for it to continue to grow.

• Haha 2

Speaking of integration: Could Linden Lab declare that the only legitimate NFTs of SL content must be issued under license to the Lab? You know, to make sure they're true SL NFTs and therefore have value as collectibles, as opposed to letting the market flood with NFTs that just anybody and everybody can mint?

And then could LL simply refuse to license any NFTs, effectively declaring SL an NFT-free zone?

• Like 1

What is your definition of an NFT? To meet NFT's are receipts of a transactions that have entitlements assigned to them recorded on a public ledger. Most of the top creators are using software like Blender to create versus SL modeling tools. Then they are importing a copy of their creation into. So why can't I sell my yacht as an NFT outside of SL and the user can then import it into SL?

18 minutes ago, MichaelCorleone Losangeles said:

To meet NFT's are receipts of a transactions that have entitlements assigned to them recorded on a public ledger.

TL;DR The problem is that NFTs don't actually come with the entitlement part.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, MichaelCorleone Losangeles said:

What is your definition of an NFT? To meet NFT's are receipts of a transactions that have entitlements assigned to them recorded on a public ledger. Most of the top creators are using software like Blender to create versus SL modeling tools. Then they are importing a copy of their creation into. So why can't I sell my yacht as an NFT outside of SL and the user can then import it into SL?

Fine.  Just do it.  Don't come asking HOW though.

Between Dan Olson's crypto take down, line goes up, getting 6.5 million views in a little over a month, and Biden administration looking at regulation and taxation of crypto and NFT "digital assets", it's dead. NFT's & crypto in general are only "financially innovative" right up till the moment the government step in, it's going to be regular people who got suckered left holding the can and a brand new tax liability. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, MichaelCorleone Losangeles said:

So why can't I sell my yacht as an NFT outside of SL and the user can then import it into SL?

there is nothing to stop you as a creator from doing this now

you can make your yatch. Register it on a blockchain of your choice. When you sell it then give the buyer all of the yatch's digital assets. The buyer can then upload them into SL full permissions

or

you can make some original work in SL. Like make a prim. Everyone can proof you made it with llGetObjectDetails

then register your prim on the blockchain. When you sell it on the blockchain then transfer it to the buyer in SL. Then they be able to do the same, sell on blockchain and transfer in SL. Eveybody will make heaps of money absolutely for sure, or not. But hey! thems the market

Edited by Mollymews
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Mollymews said:

there is nothing to stop you as a creator from doing this now

you can make your yatch. Register it on a blockchain of your choice. When you sell it then give the buyer all of the yatch's digital assets. The buyer can then upload them into SL full permissions

or

you can make some original work in SL. Like make a prim. Everyone can proof you made it with llGetObjectDetails

then register your prim on the blockchain. When you sell it on the blockchain then transfer it to the buyer in SL. Then they be able to do the same, sell on blockchain and transfer in SL. Eveybody will make heaps of money absolutely for sure, or not. But hey! thems the market

we should do none of that. leave the nft's and cryptos and what ever else away from our stable world.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bigmoe Whitfield said:

we should do none of that. leave the nft's and cryptos and what ever else away from our stable world.

like here

https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/127916789/waikato-20yearolds-103m-nft-scheme-causes-controversy-in-gaming-world

these young people sold $US70 million worth of texture-on-a-prim, and not very good ones either

as their leader Cobie said: "$70 MILLION LOOOOOOOOL". tbf tho Cobie was also a bit embarrassed about it all

they were trying/hoping to raise some dev money for a game they are wanting to make. Stuck NFT in front of their fundraising effort, and voila $US70 million got dropped on them from random people on the internets

so yes agree, is plenty of places other than SL on the internet to do not very good texture-on-a-prim

• Like 1

100% @Mollymews the point I'm trying to make is that as a creator in SL you want the widest audience you can find for your creations. SL has done a terrible job of promoting the platform to a much wider audience. Just about everything that is being touted around metaverses, NFT's and tokens Sl has been doing 13 14 years. Now that other people have discovered it they are taking advantage of people's ignorance and greed.

I agree there is a lot of crap and scams on Openseas, but it can be a powerful platform for Second Life creators to expand their market. Don't trash the technology associated with blockchain like NFT's, Tokens and DOA's as irrelevant, recognize the innovation and potential they present and harness it for your own benefit.

I became know as the builder of the largest yachts, with the most detail, with the least amount of prims. Fully furnished my yachts ranged from 2,000-2,500 prims. My target audience was residents that owned Homestead sims. I created all my yachts using Second Lifes rudimentary 3D modeling tool.

I'm now teaching myself how to convert my yachts to mesh using Blender. A lot of creators have been doing this for a long time, then importing them into Second Life.

Once that process is complete and all the textures updated, I'll put my first yacht up for sale on Openseas. Looking to partner with interior designers so that buyers of my yachts get the base yacht but they will work with an interior designer to furnish their yacht. I want to work with a creator that does terraforming and landscaping to work with the yacht owner on their new property in Second Life. They can also work with the interior designer on the interior of their home, or they can just buy the yacht and use SL or some other stand alone 3D model viewer to show off their yacht to friends.

All of that will be specified in the NFT associated with my yachts. And before people start pointed out you can already do that in SL marketplace with sharing of revenues generated by the sale of your product, I already know that. Which takes me back to my original point, Openseas just gives you a much bigger platform to reach a much bigger audience for your creations. 

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

@Rowan Amoreafter conversion to mesh using Blender my yachts should come in at around 700-1,000 prims unfurnished. Homestead islands are up to 5,000 prims now, so you can know have a private island with a home and your yacht docked out back. I will sell a limited number of yachts. The $4,000-$5,000 number would include the house, yacht, interior design, and terraforming and landscaping. I think the price is probably $5,000-$10,000 based on what NFT's outside of Second Life are going for. The first run of yachts will be a limited number of semi custom yachts from my current series. That means your yacht will unique to you and the work you do with your interior designer. I will also be offering 1 off custom yachts that will be totally unique

My goal is to eventually build a yachting lifestyle community within Second Life complete with open waters so you can anchor your yacht out in the open seas. I've hosted exclusive birthday parties and even hosted white parties onboard onboard with Frolic Mills after some of he's Best of Yachting Fashion shows. We are talking about collaborating together on some NFT projects. 

• Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 812 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.