Subscriber Spam

AmandaDay

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 983 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Does anyone know of an item or any other way of stopping subscriber spam? Blocking the actual subscriber seems to have no effect and blocking its owner seems to have limited success in stopping their harassment. They often include a message saying send a notecard if you wish to be removed. But...

1. Why should I have to go to that trouble when I didn't ask to be on their subscriber.

2. I have better things to spend my time on than writing and sending notecards to an ever increasing number of subscriber owners.

3. I very much doubt that the subscriber owners log into the subscriber website every day in order to remove names.

One subscriber owner was even foul mouthed rude to me when I asked him to stop. Something must be done about this form of harassment.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AmandaDay said:

Blocking the actual subscriber seems to have no effect

Most of the subscriber machines have a button to unsubscribe - or, if not, click the subscriber itself and there is often an unsubscribe option.

If not, and contacting the owner doesn't fix things, submit an AR.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Most of the subscriber machines have a button to unsubscribe - or, if not, click the subscriber itself and there is often an unsubscribe option.

If not, and contacting the owner doesn't fix things, submit an AR.

I mean I have tried with one event subscriber, and well it doesn't pop up a menu, nor does it have an unsubscribe button. Hell, I would get people putting me in their database and then when I would kindly ask them to take me out. It would lead to a back and forth, that I must have subscribed. Lol. I would always say, I would remember subscribing to something. That's because I do, I remember subscribing to these things I physically went to the board and hit subscribe. 

I shouldn't need to be wasting my time teleporting to and clicking unsubscribe on a subscriber that I never subscribed to to begin with. I know that some creators add you when you buy their products which (in my opinion) should be discouraged but some of these I have never bought from and because of their irritating spam, probably never will. Subscriber owners may see it as simply spam but personally I see it as harassment and a breach of privacy. After all, if I choose not to receive group chats and conferences I can turn it off or even leave the group. I am in control. But subscribers... ugh. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Sammy Huntsman said:

I mean I have tried with one event subscriber, and well it doesn't pop up a menu, nor does it have an unsubscribe button. Hell, I would get people putting me in their database and then when I would kindly ask them to take me out. It would lead to a back and forth, that I must have subscribed. Lol. I would always say, I would remember subscribing to something. That's because I do, I remember subscribing to these things I physically went to the board and hit subscribe. 

Simply tell them that it doesn't matter whether you previously subscribed or not, but that you are now requesting to be unsubscribed and if they do not then you will AR them for spamming you.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Simply tell them that it doesn't matter whether you previously subscribed or not, but that you are now requesting to be unsubscribed and if they do not then you will AR them for spamming you.

I did this with one particularly active subscriber owner today. I was called an "idiotic moron" for not wanting to hear of his great deals and told to follow the instructions in his notecard (which I had declined). When I repeated that I wish to be removed and would AR if necessary I was met with a string of foul mouthed abuse which did indeed lead to an AR. But must I really go through this again and again for an ever increasing number of these subscribers?

• Sad 1

Whenever I get unsolicited subscriber spam, I file an AR, drop the store owner a pre-written notecard to let them know they're a cretin, and block them. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I received yet another unsolicited subscriber notice about an event recently. It included a message saying you could contact them to unsubscribe, but if you did so, you would be banned from all their events and lands 🙄 

I'm just going to be ARing all of these now. I know I have not subscribed to be informed of any events at all (I never click on subscriber devices) so they have scraped my name from somewhere and are sending the notices without my consent. Definitely spam and calls for an abuse report.

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Stephanie Misfit said:

I received yet another unsolicited subscriber notice about an event recently. It included a message saying you could contact them to unsubscribe, but if you did so, you would be banned from all their events and lands 🙄 

So what? Do you even want to revisit their place? I decided long ago those kinds of folks deserve neither my respect, my money nor my attention.

Edited by Fionalein

4 hours ago, Stephanie Misfit said:

I'm just going to be ARing all of these now. I know I have not subscribed to be informed of any events at all (I never click on subscriber devices) so they have scraped my name from somewhere and are sending the notices without my consent. Definitely spam and calls for an abuse report.

I had some club scrape a list and sent me spam for an event.  When I complained to them --- I got some not to nice wording. So I ARed them.

• Like 1

There are some subscribers that allow the owner to add names at will without your permission.  I've had to block the owner of such a subscriber, who was usually an Alt and not reachable to take me off his/her list.  AR's don't work if the owner is using a bot or alt.  SL doesn't have that kind of time to investigate 1000's of violations.  The owner ran a chain of franchise clothing shops btw - a tough nut to get rid of.

There is at least one good subscriber company that performers often use.  Unlike stores, performers can't afford to piss off their fans.  This is one of the good ones:

Can I manually add members to my group?
Modified on: Wed, 2 Apr, 2014 at 8:53 AM

Nobody likes spam, and we are strongly against it - that's why Subscribe-O-Matic (as the name implies) is a strictly opt-in service. The only way users can become members of your Subscribe-O-Matic group is to subscribe by touching one of your kiosks in-world.

We don't currently support any way of manualy adding members since that can easily lead to unsolicited messaging and spamming which by the way is also forbidden by Second Life Terms of Service.

To unsubscribe, you can IM the owner, OR left click on the sign and get this menu:

e932ed4beaaecfd99a30ec41943074c9.png

Edited by Jaylinbridges

This was a topic here a few times already. There is a certain "business group" who keeps adding people manually to their many event subscribers as soon as you put a foot at the door step of any of their participating stores. I don't waste my time anymore pointing out to them that unsolicited spamming is clearly forbidden by LL ToS. I just AR them. The more people AR them, the higher the chances that they get some much needed help in understanding the ToS.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 983 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.