Why do some clubs make it such a long walk to get in the door?

AnnHerrick

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 922 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 minute ago, AnnHerrick said:

Frank's does this, Wet Willie's does this, and I think there must be a reason they do it, I just can't think of what it must be.

I think to allow time for the surroundings to rez for the person landing and possibly to reduce the lag of a new arrival too close to the busier dance area?

• Like 7

I really don't know, I thought maybe it was for security, to make sure you aren't bringing weapons or other nasty things in. I'm still not sure, but I wish I could just TP right to the dance floor instead of having to do that long hike.

• Like 1

For ballrooms one of the purposes is to have an area where new arriving avatars can peacefully rez, see that there is a dress code, say "oh" and decide if they want to change or not. 

I saw at least one beach club do the same thing for dress code as well. 

• Like 10

It also adds to the realism.  When you arrive at a venue in RL, it's usually in the parking lot or out front.  A lot of those dance places used to have a couples walk that you could use as a couple to walk into the venue.   Some had limos parked out front.  Foxxies used to have a carriage ride around the building.  I haven't been there in years though.

• Like 7

It also keeps people from bunching up in the doorway while they rez.  It makes it hard for people to get past them and into the club.  Not that I mind just plowing people over when I walk in but some people take offense.

• Like 6
  • Haha 8

6 hours ago, AnnHerrick said:

I really don't know, I thought maybe it was for security, to make sure you aren't bringing weapons or other nasty things in. I'm still not sure, but I wish I could just TP right to the dance floor instead of having to do that long hike.

If they don't have the landing point set you can make your own TP. Just a warning though...don't do it in the middle of the dance floor and risk landing on someone. Create a TP off to the side

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Sam1 Bellisserian said:

If they don't have the landing point set you can make your own TP. Just a warning though...don't do it in the middle of the dance floor and risk landing on someone. Create a TP off to the side

Well it's a nice thought, but they all seem to have set landing points and there's prolly no getting around that.

• Like 1

On 7/13/2021 at 6:50 PM, Littoralis said:

For ballrooms one of the purposes is to have an area where new arriving avatars can peacefully rez, see that there is a dress code, say "oh" and decide if they want to change or not. 

I saw at least one beach club do the same thing for dress code as well. 

My club's rez zone is outside the club but not a big walk away. It's deliberately just outside of chat range of the door (about 30m) and I put it there for a few reasons.

First, so that dancers who are already there don't end up with new arrivals landing right on top of where they're dancing. Second, so they are not blocking the doorway and making it difficult for anyone else to get in. Third, as a place to put things like the group subscriber and a freebie outfit vendor without cluttering the inside of the club and spoiling the decor. 

As manager and host I keep an eye on new arrivals and if they linger outside for longer than usual I'll IM them to ask if they need any assistance. If they're half naked I'll remind them of the dress-code. Having that extra walk between the rez zone and the dance-floor acts as a bit of a safety buffer and avoids unwelcome surprises.

It's not even a fixed rez zone, anyone can make a landmark to anywhere in the parcel they want to, it's just the landmarks I give out all point to that spot at the end of the street.  But if you'd rather rez at the bar instead, go for it.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

• 1 month later...
On 7/16/2021 at 3:25 PM, Lewis Luminos said:

As manager and host I keep an eye on new arrivals and if they linger outside for longer than usual I'll IM them to ask if they need any assistance.

That would bug me.  Again, probably because I'm anti social. LOL

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
On 9/3/2021 at 3:49 AM, Teagan Tobias said:

I have gone to a couple places that I never even found the venue, I’m not real good at this Second Life thing.

This. Some places have a set spawn point but then have a bunch of different party areas scattered all over their Region.... sure you can follow the green dots, but sometimes they're up in a skybox somewhere. I just give up when it's a cluster***** like that.

Sometimes they tell you which party area they're at but if you've never been there before and they don't provide directions at their landing site... yeah. No thanks.

5 hours ago, Jolly Nova said:

This. Some places have a set spawn point but then have a bunch of different party areas scattered all over their Region.... sure you can follow the green dots, but sometimes they're up in a skybox somewhere. I just give up when it's a cluster***** like that.

Sometimes they tell you which party area they're at but if you've never been there before and they don't provide directions at their landing site... yeah. No thanks.

We use teleport routing a lot for this reason - it lands folks next to where the event is happening & saves a lot of head scratching. :)

It's not even only clubs doing this. I have been to stores that you had to walk/run up to (No teleporting and flying allowed) and then you have to run/walk through their huge store which takes forever and usually ends with me teleporting away without a purchase.

On memorable time I wrote the creator of the store to tell them about my shopping experience and surprisingly enough they thanked me profusely for the input and enabled both direct tp'ing and flying. So yay and much kudos to them.

• Like 5

54 minutes ago, So Whimsy said:

It's not even only clubs doing this. I have been to stores that you had to walk/run up to (No teleporting and flying allowed) and then you have to run/walk through their huge store which takes forever and usually ends with me teleporting away without a purchase.

On memorable time I wrote the creator of the store to tell them about my shopping experience and surprisingly enough they thanked me profusely for the input and enabled both direct tp'ing and flying. So yay and much kudos to them.

The problem with flying is many have sky platforms where they work and all sorts of items that they do not want gen. public to see. New items etc. So flying enables them to get up to private areas. I personally do not have fly enabled in my region. But, I have many vehicles that they can fly with...

9 hours ago, Tarina Sewell said:

The problem with flying is many have sky platforms where they work and all sorts of items that they do not want gen. public to see. New items etc. So flying enables them to get up to private areas. I personally do not have fly enabled in my region. But, I have many vehicles that they can fly with...

If fly is not enabled then direct tp should be so people can use area search and directly tp to the product that is over 400m away instead of having to walk there.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 10/3/2021 at 4:42 PM, colleen Criss said:

If these clubs have *malls* they are hoping to promote them as you walk to your dance destinations.

That's counter-productive - If you spend all your L$ in the malls, you'll have no money to tip with.

On 10/3/2021 at 9:16 PM, Tarina Sewell said:

The problem with flying is many have sky platforms where they work and all sorts of items that they do not want gen. public to see. New items etc. So flying enables them to get up to private areas.

There are security orbs for that.

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 922 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.