How Does Your SL Look Today?

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Too big a question to answer here. But . . .

Increasingly over the past 50 or more years, literary critics and scholars have got away from the idea of "great books" or what you call "high level literature" -- although there is a debate raging once again in the public sphere about this, as a great many conservatives want to resurrect the idea of The Great Book and High Literature (almost all of which turns out to be, surprise surprise, written by dead white men).

But almost all of the lit teachers I know teach a diverse range of stuff, and not just what used to be considered "high literature." I teach graphic novels and manga alongside "classics" by Milton and Shakespeare. Hell, I have a colleague who includes hand-written Early Modern recipe books by women in some of her courses.

And there is absolutely nothing wrong with either The Chrysalids or Rendezvous with Rama. They are objectively not as well-written as, say, a poem by Milton, a play by Shakespeare, or a novel by Jane Austen, but so what? They are unquestionably "literature."

I'm sorry you had, apparently, terrible English teachers!

My english teachers were actually great!!! We didn't just have to read mind numbingly boring books. We also had to read ones such as : "Farenheit 451", "Fifth Business", "Lord of the Flies", "Shane", and many other ones that captured our interests. I feel we were being exposed to a variety of literary styles. Which IS a necessity. Of course another one I felt ill from was "The Stone Angel". I had to force my way through that one too. Written by a dead white woman. And sorry, but I don't think Shakespeare's writings are worthy of being anything more than toilet paper. /me ducks to avoid being hit by rotten tomatoes being thrown at him...

Edited by SandorWren
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Neither one of us was feeling well, and we weren't in a particularly good mood. I didn't realize how much it affected me, and subsequently, my visual style in these pics until I looked at them all together. 

Sandor and lady Sepia.jpg

Sandor and lady throgh glass door.jpg

Sandor and lady Creepy.jpg

Edited by SandorWren
grammar correction
  • Like 12

Snapshot-005.png

Went and meshed the wainscoting to give it a top and bottom ledge geometry (still need to make a corner piece, but that's like, effort and stuff - several button clicks of cutting and extruding!). Struggling to figure out how to deal with the shininess of it though, even at roughness 1 it just looks .. Foggy. Lower makes it look as if someone has applied lacquer via bucket. Makes me miss the specular intensity and tint options in Blinn-Phong textures, it feels as if the only option left is to take the roughness map and edit it somewhere else (I'm not even sure where, or how, but I'm not paying €200 for Substance Painter for it). I do like how the floors and walls look, but I still don't really see how this is 'better' than Blinn-Phong. The chair is pre-PBR. Looks pretty good to me. Shrugs.

• Like 12

8 minutes ago, Orwar said:

Makes me miss the specular intensity and tint options in Blinn-Phong textures, it feels as if the only option left is to take the roughness map and edit it somewhere else (I'm not even sure where, or how, but I'm not paying €200 for Substance Painter for it).

Try Materialize, which I'm currently learning. It's a simple and reasonably intuitive tool for producing PBR materials from Albedo maps. And it's free.

There's no documentation as such, but lots of YouTube tutorials.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Caitlin Tobias said:

It's my 17th Rezday and I don't look a day older, right? 🤪

04aug24 2007.png

Congrats! Mine (my 16th) was a couple of days ago, and I'd have forgotten about it completely had I not got an email from LL.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Congrats! Mine (my 16th) was a couple of days ago, and I'd have forgotten about it completely had I not got an email from LL.

I didn't get the email either, this year. But I've put it on my calendar because I tend to forget it too!

• Like 3

I clearly don't know what I'm doing, but I went and found the original texture I'd bought off the MP (of course it was a freebie on an asset database), and immediately had it do the exact same thing I was seeing in-world. Don't know how or why, it seems it was just cursed. Went and found a different texture (well, did some sampling and tiling to get it to work), annnd .. Progress. Of sorts.

e961bf0115d498a1efeca855cd90c8f9.png

It doesn't look at all like in Materialize though .. Where is all this darned shine coming from?!

9539f95c9a6cf45948f610a9e6eb74ce.jpg

Oh well. I'll just have to keep tinkering with it tomorrow and see if I can figure out what's going on. Also need to do something about the texture on the edges of the wainscoting .. And make corner pieces .. I also think some of the woodcarving may have accidentally gotten inversed. I can feel tomorrow's headache looming already!

• Like 7

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, Always Incognito said:

😳 Thats usually how i behave on dances too im afraid… 😳  @Orwar You would be my ideal dance partner 😆

Ok, I occasionally take Caitlin dancing. Not her thing. But Never 5 minute luls. I dance with @Cinnamon Mistwoodmore often. The only iuls we get are when we are taking pics, and then we send each other gyazos to see what we've taken!!! I've danced with @LittleMe Jewell, @Scylla Rhiadra,@Leora Greenwood at forum meetings. We were always chatting about something. It was never boring with luls. So I don't get it!!! 

Edited by SandorWren
  • Like 1

For me often dancing is just listening to music while I get something else done.And there are places that work well for meeting people. In most places I have to be aggressive and initiate a conversation.

Burn2-FSP_004.jpg.a9bd2346f53a408ec9ad567138bd1bdc.jpg

When bored with anything in SL one can always ride a rabbit... Where but in SL? 

This is also at Burn2

• Like 11
  • Haha 2