How Does Your SL Look Today?

Bagnu

I got a new head!

Snapshot_519.thumb.jpg.0a2e6a6092e13864852b4b744a651dd4.jpg

😱😱

image.gif.62fa04262c3be718f5199cf3a5e94300.gif

It scared me a bit, so I tossed in in the fire..  I know it is not the head itself, just that I did something wrong.  I'm not sure how mesh heads work ..  🤣  I decided to just stick with my old one, and get new hair instead

Snapshot_523.thumb.jpg.7e04afbd498292d26a6113d54cb29c55.jpg

Now I am earning Linden, trying to recoup the expenses I have made (despite saying I was done buying things)  I really need to get premium plus, for the extra Lindens.

I've spent most of the day though playing around with @panterapolnocy chatGPT script I found linked on the forums, and got it to work with openrouter with very little effort.  I'm horrible with scripting, but it has been fun.  Now I am wondering how I can get it to remember our conversations, how to properly set a personality for it, and so on.  It has been a blast, with a lot of mistakes, but also learning things along the way.

• Like 9
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Istelathis said:

It scared me a bit, so I tossed in in the fire..  I know it is not the head itself, just that I did something wrong.  I'm not sure how mesh heads work ..  🤣  I decided to just stick with my old one, and get new hair instead

The EvoX-Terror strikes again!😱

I see that a lot in busy crowded places. The first time, I thought my viewer was broken. Now, I just feel bad for the folks whose skin doesn't snap back into place after a while, because that is definitely something you cannot unsee!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

6 minutes ago, Spiffy Voxel said:

The EvoX-Terror strikes again!😱

I see that a lot in busy crowded places. The first time, I thought my viewer was broken. Now, I just feel bad for the folks whose skin doesn't snap back into place after a while, because that is definitely something you cannot unsee!

For a little bit, I thought I may have unknowingly opened the  Lament Configuration 

image.gif.8d2c816c6937a1ffe116486fc9190ef0.gif

After which pinhead stepped through a portal decided to play around with my flesh 😋🪿 I think it is just something I did wrong though, everyone else looked amazing that was wearing it, I just did not put enough time into learning how it works.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Istelathis said:

I played around with my new head a little bit, changing the shape, finding a skin, and it seems to work alright now

Did it turn out to be non-EVOX skin with EVOX head, vice-versa, or ?

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

Did all the research to understand Tibetan Buddhism a bit better for my presentation, rewrote some text, redid a bit on the music,  found more appropriate particles, rehearsed one of many times, and finally put my outfit together this morn. I particularly love Tibetan Buddhism as the Reiki I was trained in for years is derived from it.

Buddhist Luna.jpg

Edited by Luna Bliss
  • Like 15

18 hours ago, Istelathis said:

I got a new head!

Snapshot_519.thumb.jpg.0a2e6a6092e13864852b4b744a651dd4.jpg

😱😱

image.gif.62fa04262c3be718f5199cf3a5e94300.gif

If it wasn't a newer Lelutka head, it wouldn't support EvoX head skins. If it was, than there is a setting in the HUD to choose between Standard and EvoX. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Bagnu said:

If it wasn't a newer Lelutka head, it wouldn't support EvoX head skins. If it was, than there is a setting in the HUD to choose between Standard and EvoX. 

It is the gift one from Akeruka, called Soo-Jin.  I played around with it, and decided to get a $1L skin (I think it was actually a tattoo) from the marketplace and it worked 😃It didn't work with my other skins though, I looked around trying to figure out why and couldn't get it to work for the life of me. The skin I am wearing is from Senra and it works fine enough, I think the skin for the head is actually a tattoo.

This is all new to me, I'm used to just using a skin for the body and head and being done with it, with the exception of tattoos for makeup.  

Snapshot_539.thumb.jpg.0134b3b020fe500f3866f82d7e88b117.jpg

I'm having fun with it so far, the included HUD has a lot of options which I haven't fully explored yet.  I don't think it will my default head because I like to keep things simple in SL, and don't like fussing around a lot.

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, Istelathis said:

It is the gift one from Akeruka, called Soo-Jin.  I played around with it, and decided to get a $1L skin (I think it was actually a tattoo) from the marketplace and it worked 😃It didn't work with my other skins though, I looked around trying to figure out why and couldn't get it to work for the life of me. The skin I am wearing is from Senra and it works fine enough, I think the skin for the head is actually a tattoo.

This is all new to me, I'm used to just using a skin for the body and head and being done with it, with the exception of tattoos for makeup.  

Snapshot_539.thumb.jpg.0134b3b020fe500f3866f82d7e88b117.jpg

I'm having fun with it so far, the included HUD has a lot of options which I haven't fully explored yet.  I don't think it will my default head because I like to keep things simple in SL, and don't like fussing around a lot.

Both skins and tattoos are textures. Skins don't have a transparent background, where as tattoos do. They both have to match a UV unwrapped image file, or painted on a 3D model with UV coordinates, and then uploaded as textures.

Edited by Bagnu
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Bagnu said:

Both skins and tattoos are textures. Skins don't have a transparent background, where as tattoos do. They both have to match a UV unwrapped image file, or painted on a 3D model with UV coordinates, and then uploaded as textures.

And this just hit me. Once 2K textures are possible with all viewers, then 2K skins and tattoos will be possible too.The only problem with that, is how will that affect people with older PC's? Or low end one's with limited VRAM? Is there some new image compression algorithm used with 2K textures?

I don't just ask this because of skins and tattoos, but in general, once 2K textures become more prevalent for everything.

Edited by Bagnu
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

screenthingy_004.png

Edit: Just noticed my clothes are glitching, but fortunately this isn't the Avatar section. Good thing I got my modesty coverings! XD

Edited by PheebyKatz
  • Like 9

10 hours ago, Bagnu said:

And this just hit me. Once 2K textures are possible with all viewers, then 2K skins and tattoos will be possible too.The only problem with that, is how will that affect people with older PC's? Or low end one's with limited VRAM? Is there some new image compression algorithm used with 2K textures?

I don't just ask this because of skins and tattoos, but in general, once 2K textures become more prevalent for everything.

If VRAM is scarce, or the scene can't use the increased resolution, the viewer needn't keep a 2K texture. It can step down to lower resolutions as necessary. It already does this (though exactly how seems to be a mystery) using ""mipmaps"

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

If VRAM is scarce, or the scene can't use the increased resolution, the viewer needn't keep a 2K texture. It can step down to lower resolutions as necessary. It already does this (though exactly how seems to be a mystery) using ""mipmaps"

I must be missing something though. If textures are stepped down when necessary, why do people say always to use the lowest texture resolution necessary then? 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Bagnu said:

I must be missing something though. If textures are stepped down when necessary, why do people say always to use the lowest texture resolution necessary then? 

The SL system adapts well to lame use of textures. The JPG2000 file format allows the system to request the resolution needed for the current rendering. So the system does not ALWAYS have to download the hi-rez version of the file.

However, one can force download of the hi-rez by zooming in. So if a 2K images is used for the stone in a ring, stupid, the system downloads the WHOLE thing. So, builders are admonished to consider the texture needed for the common render and use that size. The slow, lazy, and ignorant will go with 2k textures and never think about it. But there is a performance advantage when doing is correctly.

Nal-Play-FS_001.thumb.jpg.e4d27fae13f661e56f439f2f91570a65.jpg

Aaaaww... funny cute.

Edited by Nalates Urriah
added image
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Bagnu said:

I don't know how the SL viewer renders, so I can only take a wild guess. A mipmap is generally 4/3 the size of the original texture. The extra space is used to hold the progressively lower resolution sub maps. If the viewer blindly loads the entire mipmap for every texture in a scene, that'll consume VRAM quickly. That argues for using the lowest resolution necessary for the expected usage of a texture in a scene.

The often used "diamond in a ring" example illustrates the folly of using a high-rez texture for something you'll barely see. When's the last time, SL or RL, you looked carefully at the facets in anyone's diamond ring? I looked adoringly at the tiny diamond in my RL wedding ring for all of a minute, under a stereo microscope, before pretty much forgetting about it.

If you create a diamond facet texture at 2K, you'll be chewing up about 16MB of VRAM to hold it (more if it's an alpha texture). If the viewer knew that facet texture was for my wedding ring, and that I'd never look at it, it could skip over all layers of the mipmap higher than the minimum resolution necessary for a glance at some distance. Camming out on a full dance floor, a diamond might occupy only a single pixel and need little more than a few bytes of texture data in VRAM. On those rare occasions that you do want to look closely at the diamond, the viewer could fetch higher resolution layers of the mipmap as you zoom in. It wouldn't matter so much what resolution you used for the diamond texture, the viewer would only bite off as much texture as it needed to chew.

The long standing admonition to use the lowest resolution texture possible suggests the SL viewer doesn't load only the layer(s) of a mipmap that are appropriate for the current scene, it loads the entire thing. Any understanding of the anticipated texture resolution required to make a thing look good in a scene must come from the creator of the thing. Making a diamond ring that will rarely be examined closely? Use low rez textures. Making a facade for a building, or a face for an avatar? Use the highest resolution possible. Both of those things can be expected to fill an SL scene regularly. In a perfect world, we'd be able to upload all textures at exquisite resolution and the trust the viewer to make most efficient use of what we provide.

SL ain't perfect.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3