How Does Your SL Look Today?

Bagnu

1 hour ago, archangel969 said:

Yes, definately. And which continuitly? Every parcel/ landowner makes a SL world of his own.

Suppose my neighbor builds a tall, ugly wall just on the other side of the land line. Naturally, I de-render it. But now visitors to my parcel walk towards what looks like an open space, smack into that invisible wall. That's the sort of "discontinuity" that can arise. 

It would be up to the visitor, though, whether they enabled the feature, so it wouldn't be a problem for vehicle users or other travelers who choose "continuity" (such as it is) in preference to landowner-curated views.

Business-wise, I'm not sure which way the Lab would benefit more. I believe the Lab still wants the Mainland to offer as much value as it can (some folks don't agree), but being able to specify the de-rendered view from a parcel would make smaller parcels more valuable, which at the same time would diminish the incentive to "buy the view" with larger land holdings. I have no intuition which way the Lab would collect more tier from Mainland.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Cinnamon Mistwood said:

Last night my SL looked like a Science Circle discussion group.  It was a nice, inclusive, friendly gathering for some good talk and learning.

image.png.5b5b9285eb8579a6cd46a181166c096d.png

Yes, except perhaps the intellectualism was a bit "overdone".  In my opinion clarity and scientific terminology should be interrelated, and not one confuscate the other. 

Edited by Bagnu
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/4/2023 at 8:14 AM, Charolotte Caxton said:

image.thumb.jpeg.5c96a66188b2797391ac63456dc41c0f.jpeg

Ok! Back to the topic! This was me last night! This place is really fun I don't mind getting punished for mentioning them, it's Generation XYZ, I think they are featured on the Destination Guide. They are fun and chatty and take requests, ugh, I sound like an ad. Anyway, that was my Second Life.

Oh, I suppose it would be nice to share a Second Life experience concerning this photo. The couple dressed nice? They celebrated their engagement that night and it was wonderful, they had been a long time couple at the venue so they made it really nice for them, they did the same for me. (I tried editing my post but I am suspecting after an x amount of time you cannot? Makes sense to me.).     where do i put the dots

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Charolotte Caxton said:

i know :D

Seriously, no one goes to a scientific discussion unless they can understand the terminology. It's preaching to the converted. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bagnu said:

Seriously, no one goes to a scientific discussion unless they can understand the terminology. It's preaching to the converted. 

I kinda like people trying to explain to me stuff I already know. Also, I do learn a lil about how to manipulate them, so the more they talk the more I learn.

Edited by Charolotte Caxton
recent comma obsession
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Charolotte Caxton said:

I kinda like people trying to explain to me stuff I already know. Also, I do learn a lil about how to manipulate them, so the more they talk the more I learn.

That's not my point. Hearing things over again can sometimes lead to insights. It's the need to impress by using overly convoluted language...well isn't impressive. It shows an sense of inferiority to me.  A lack of confidence. A desire to prove they understand the subject. Which makes me feel they perhaps don't as much as they portray.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bagnu said:

That's not my point. Hearing things over again can sometimes lead to insights. It's the need to impress by using overly convoluted language...well isn't impressive. It shows an sense of inferiority to me.  A lack of confidence. A desire to prove they understand the subject. Which makes me feel they perhaps don't as much as they portray.

cool

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bagnu said:

Often it is like virtue signalling but in a different context.

NNal-FirefliesLair-fs_001.thumb.jpg.09d42b2298b58ac6f4566ef8e17fba4f.jpg

Fireflies Lair... very colorful place.

Edited by Nalates Urriah
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, Bagnu said:

lol, sounds like college. I had professors who tried to over smart me with words.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Charolotte Caxton said:

lol, sounds like college. I had professors who tried to over smart me with words.

One of the toughest challenges, especially if you are teaching a large class, is aiming the lesson somewhere in the middle of the comprehension range of the class.   The teacher can be in a nasty position of having to decide whether to be sure that the least prepared student is still following, or favoring the quickest learners.  Aim for the middle and you bore the heck out of the fast learners and you leave the slower ones in the dust. It's a lose-lose choice sometimes. Some students decide that you are trying the snow them; others wish you'd stop wasting time on things that are dead obvious.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

One of the toughest challenges, especially if you are teaching a large class, is aiming the lesson somewhere in the middle of the comprehension range of the class.   The teacher can be in a nasty position of having to decide whether to be sure that the least prepared student is still following, or favoring the quickest learners.  Aim for the middle and you bore the heck out of the fast learners and you leave the slower ones in the dust. It's a lose-lose choice sometimes. Some students decide that you are trying the snow them; others wish you'd stop wasting time on things that are dead obvious.

Am blessed, or rather they are, that no one ever had to be taught by me :)

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Charolotte Caxton said:

Am blessed, or rather they are, that no one ever had to be taught by me :)

Things like common sense and common knowledge or dead obvious things is that, it is not true. Just because your village knows how to catch fish does not negate the fact that my people can catch more dragons than you. Common knowledge is very very very limited, not common at all.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Charolotte Caxton said:

Things like common sense and common knowledge or dead obvious things is that, it is not true. Just because your village knows how to catch fish does not negate the fact that my people can catch more dragons than you. Common knowledge is very very very limited, not common at all.

Very true. My point,  though, is that some people -- either because they have more experience or because they are habitually quick thinkers -- seem to grasp a new idea faster than others.  From their point of view, the new idea may be "obvious" although everyone else can be struggling to figure out what's going on. There's nothing about the idea itself that makes it "obvious" or "intuitive" -- another misleading concept -- it's that some people understand it faster than others.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Rolig Loon said:

Very true. My point,  though, is that some people -- either because they have more experience or because they are habitually quick thinkers -- seem to grasp a new idea faster than others.  From their point of view, the new idea may be "obvious" although everyone else can be struggling to figure out what's going on. There's nothing about the idea itself that makes it "obvious" or "intuitive" -- another misleading concept -- it's that some people understand it faster than others.

Right, but oftentimes it can be frustrating trying to tell someone what should be 'obvious'.. and also from my end, obvious is not always obvious, how did we get here? let me find a picture :D

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Charolotte Caxton said:

Right, but oftentimes it can be frustrating trying to tell someone what should be 'obvious'.. and also from my end, obvious is not always obvious, how did we get here? let me find a picture

Yeah, trying to tell someone else what's "obvious" is usually a dumb thing to do. But that's my point, really. The idea isn't obvious; it's just that some people get it faster than others.  Anyway, this conversation is well off topic. If it doesn't get back on topic fast, the mods will zap it.  I'm out.  😎

• Like 1