Does this really take a whole year?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1094 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

42 minutes ago, bigmoe Whitfield said:

aight, let's stop this,  LL does care,  LL has been running out of office with their staff since covid lockdowns, they still might be, WE have zero idea how many they have on their webdev team currently,  it might be nobody, it might be one person, but  the fact remains,  and this is very possible, that the person doing it also has other duties and this is one of those on the back burner on low priorities,    Highly wish people would totally get off of small companies like this and expect everything big and great instantly,  between covid and other issues and a few other high priority items, LL can take their time on this.

Aight listen...when a company says they are doing something as simple as a logo change, and even created an exciting blog post about it, and a year later still hasn’t implemented it across the board....it’s not about bringing in new customers, it becomes a confidence, trust, and consistence issue. As someone who has been in SL for quite a long time, I’ve experienced consistent problems even after they have been “fixed” and honestly, with every fix comes a slew of other bugs and breaks. That has always been consistent. We all deal with the wonkyness of SL. 

However, something as simple as a logo change? Yes, I am going to hold them to that. If the company, no matter it’s size, states something as small as a logo change, they should be held to that. Get it done. 

6 minutes ago, Chris Nova said:

Aight listen...when a company says they are doing something as simple as a logo change, and even created an exciting blog post about it, and a year later still hasn’t implemented it across the board....it’s not about bringing in new customers, it becomes a confidence, trust, and consistence issue. As someone who has been in SL for quite a long time, I’ve experienced consistent problems even after they have been “fixed” and honestly, with every fix comes a slew of other bugs and breaks. That has always been consistent. We all deal with the wonkyness of SL. 

However, something as simple as a logo change? Yes, I am going to hold them to that. If the company, no matter it’s size, states something as small as a logo change, they should be held to that. Get it done. 

They will get it done when they have time,  it's as simple as that.    I'm not replying again.

• Haha 2

Yeah I don't think anyone really cares about a new logo and it should be very low priority to the point where they shouldn't have announced it to begin with, especially when it's not actually going to be actioned. It's about managing perception and expectations. A logo isn't really something to care about but by making an announcement, they sent the signal that they wanted people to care.

Everyone messes up, but you just don't want it becoming a pattern. Better to under-promise and over-deliver IMO.

Edited by AdminGirl
Typo
  • Like 2

I always find the whole concept of a 'logo' vaguely imbecilic.   But then I find almost all modern marketing vaguely imbecilic.

Do you remember the Dilbert cartoon of many years ago?  Dilbert is trying to explain the technology behind his new computer to the marketing guy, and has to simplify it to:

'it's beige and runs on electricity'.

But my favourite Marketing adage is:

'Business is very easy, just get customers, and keep them'.

WTF does a 'Logo' do to help that?

Edited by Anna Nova
inevitable imbecilic typo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, AdminGirl said:

Yeah I don't think anyone really cares about a new logo and it should be very low priority to the point where they shouldn't have announced it to begin with, especially when it's not actually going to be actioned. It's about managing perception and expectations. A logo isn't really something to care about but by making an announcement, they sent the signal that they wanted people to care.

Everyone messes up, but you just don't want it becoming a pattern. Better to under-promise and over-deliver IMO.

Yeah, why do companies even have logos ya know? 😂 But seriously, let’s all just admit expectations are very, very low. That’s never a good thing for any company. I mean, I’m not gonna kiss and suck up to a company just because I enjoy their product...mostly. I just want them to do what they say they are gonna do because to me, it’s important. And it should be important to everyone else. Especially when I know for a fact it doesn’t take over a year to accomplish. But the fact that it takes them a very very very long time to do..anything....if anything even happens.

It shouldn’t be “they will get to it when they get to it”. You’re right when you said they shouldn’t have released the blog post. Just like they shouldn’t have mentioned a mobile app last year. “Next year is going to be an exciting one for SL mobile!”. Well, it’s next year and there’s been dead silence since that statement was made lol.

I learned a long time ago to take whatever the people from the Lab states/promises with a grain of salt. 

If company image/reputation isn’t high on their priority list, that’s a problem.

25 minutes ago, Chris Nova said:

Yeah, why do companies even have logos ya know? 😂 But seriously, let’s all just admit expectations are very, very low. That’s never a good thing for any company. I mean, I’m not gonna kiss and suck up to a company just because I enjoy their product...mostly. I just want them to do what they say they are gonna do because to me, it’s important. And it should be important to everyone else. Especially when I know for a fact it doesn’t take over a year to accomplish. But the fact that it takes them a very very very long time to do..anything....if anything even happens.

It shouldn’t be “they will get to it when they get to it”. You’re right when you said they shouldn’t have released the blog post. Just like they shouldn’t have mentioned a mobile app last year. “Next year is going to be an exciting one for SL mobile!”. Well, it’s next year and there’s been dead silence since that statement was made lol.

I learned a long time ago to take whatever the people from the Lab states/promises with a grain of salt. 

If company image/reputation isn’t high on their priority list, that’s a problem.

Well they're very timely with some announcements. They announced the higher fees less than a month before implementing it even though they claimed it was a very complex process.

But yes, if people keep seeing year old public announcements and then hear crickets chirping, I'm not even saying it's disappointing, it's embarrassing and it smells like failure. I'm talking in general now because I don't really want to slam LL. I'm sure they're doing the best they can. But that is the reality of company image. It just looks bad.

Edited by AdminGirl

2 hours ago, Anna Nova said:

I always find the whole concept of a 'logo' vaguely imbecilic.   But then I find almost all modern marketing vaguely imbecilic.

Do you remember the Dilbert cartoon of many years ago?  Dilbert is trying to explain the technology behind his new computer to the marketing guy, and has to simplify it to:

Logo's, colors schemes and slogans DO work.
Always did, but you have to stick with it over long periods without changing it (to much).

You know what the colors and the logo of for instance McDonalds, Pepsi, Coca Cola and Shell are.
Why?  They keep advertising it and change very little.

Edited by Sid Nagy
Editting works too.
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Anna Nova said:

I believe logos are trademarks.  Thus they are really needed for companies that trade, import/export.   If a counterfeiter copies a Coco Chanel bag and her logo and sells the cheap imitations as real Coco Chanel bags for hundreds or thousands of dollars, it's a big deal.  

I cared that they changed it.  When I made my own log-in screen in green, it was real nostalgia for me and brought up real emotions.

5 hours ago, Chris Nova said:

Yeah, why do companies even have logos ya know?

I just Googled SL's logo, and yes...it's really a trademark.  See the TM on their new trademark, that makes it official.  When they will get it done, with Covid this past year plus the selling of the company, I can see the delay.  It looks like the new company wants to keep the blue trademark though as shown on the new home page.  I think it's a rather generic blue.  The green made me go 'that's an interesting color' and I always wondered why they picked that soft green.  

tm.png

23 hours ago, Chris Nova said:

Your logo is your brand

Their logo is Lindens matter. How it looks, when and where they use it and how fast they change it, it's their business alone. It is a miracle to me, what's the point of this thread.

Edited by Doc Carling

10 hours ago, Doc Carling said:

Their logo is Lindens matter. How it looks, when and where they use it and how fast they change it, it's their business alone. It is a miracle to me, what's the point of this thread.

I agree but when anyone makes a public announcement, they choose to make it everyone else's business.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chris Nova said:

I think its an important issue that should be discussed 🤷‍♂️ 

Yes, and we did. But if you think your opinion, or mine, with change the mind of the Linden Lab Marketing head honcho, you are probably deluding yourself. I very much doubt that said honcho will even be aware of this discussion.

That doesn't mean we shouldn't vent about it, but the benefit is psychologically for us.  Having a 'venting place' is one of the most important functions of the forums, and civilised discussion is good for us.

One reason to discuss stuff like this is to try to read tea leaves. It's pretty clear that the logo re-branding ended up less of a priority than it seemed when it was announced. Some posters suggest that's because of COVID imposing new priorities and/or new resource constraints. Others think it may still have the same priority but they underestimated the resources required (and as @Madelaine McMasterspointed out, there could be many dusty, hard-to-reach corners in a "website" cobbled together over a couple decades with once-contemporary tools).

My personal hunch is that those things are true but that the acquisition changed plans for Second Life, and with the emphasis on attracting large numbers of new customers (pending more steps to make that happen) perhaps the previously "new" branding is no longer adequate to its purpose.

Admittedly, I didn't think the new logo was distinctive enough to register with anybody as much of a change, and in fact it gave up the most distinctive part of the old logo, the letter forms. I suppose it's unlikely the new owners hired a branding consultant to try again—but it's not impossible either.

3 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

My personal hunch is that those things are true but that the acquisition changed plans for Second Life, and with the emphasis on attracting large numbers of new customers (pending more steps to make that happen) perhaps the previously "new" branding is no longer adequate to its purpose.

As I said over a decade ago when Mark Kingdon started bragging about 30K new users per day (while concurrency was in decline), if you can't keep them, don't attract them.

It's possible retention statistics have improved sufficiently to warrant some marketing. We're no longer shedding users like we once were.

Let's discuss this again in five years?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:

Admittedly, I didn't think the new logo was distinctive enough to register with anybody as much of a change, and in fact it gave up the most distinctive part of the old logo, the letter forms. I suppose it's unlikely the new owners hired a branding consultant to try again—but it's not impossible either.

Yep, the lettering was different too.

You know though, it brought up a nostalgic reaction in me when I made my own log-in screen using the old green and felt real emotions that I think they should at least take that nostalgia to heart and on their 20th Birthday release a bumper sticker, a coffee mug or a t-shirt in the old color which they called "soft green" in their blog with some kind of a saying about remember when or something - I can't think of anything in particular.  But, retro is cool as it's part of our memories.  If they do pick a new branding altogether, I vote for Indian Red for the Hopi hand, but please don't use generic primary red, it's too generic.  I think Indian Red would be sexy.  I think SL should be a little more sexy and a little more sassy than generic blue, my 12 cents.  

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1094 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.