Does this really take a whole year?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1087 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Your logo is your brand. When a company changes its logo, its across the board, not a spotty mix of old and new and certainly doesn't take this long. Why does it take well over a year to replace a logo across all their sites and portals AFTER they already announced it? Lol. Did they forget? I bet they forgot. Its ok, I forget a lot too.

Pssssttt....please please finish this because my ocd can't take much more.

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

Ok. I won't tell you about the dust bunnies under your furniture. 🤭

It's LL. Expecting them to change the way they push things out (sporadically and unfinished) is like expecting god to look like George Burns. It's not going to happen. 

Or maybe I've just learned to lower my expectations to zero. Or I've finally just given up.

• Like 8

It's so weird that you brought this up because yesterday I made my own log in screen just for fun using Second Life's old green.  Oh my, the memories it brought back, and the memories were good.  Change is sometimes good, sometimes bad, but things change nonetheless.  The old green which the blog above states is "soft green" they are changing it because the blue they consider "energizing" and more in line with the residents of SL.  Still...nostalgia is sweet, I realized.  I'm very glad to have remembered "all those years ago".  They seem like a long ago dream now.

Snapshot_1019 step 6 SL PROMO JOIN DONE.jpg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

They've been putting out fires a bit more important in the last year to really worry about whether their new icon is replaced everywhere.  The Uplift, Covid, map tiles, group chat, teleport issues, etc etc etc.  The logo, I would hope, is a low priority.

Edited by Rowan Amore
  • Like 2

I will say that I do know that changing the front page and forum logos were the two easiest and quickest to do. Those were a matter of simply changing the link to the new image. I can see where other locations may not be quite so quick as it's a more complicated process. Changing a forum logo is as simple as copy/pasting a URL and saving the update.

LL is right about one thing. Sometimes it does take a little extra time for things to percolate through the system.

• Like 1

I've wondered about such things myself. Decades ago, when I did substantial web design work, I made sure to link to graphic elements like logos rather than include them directly. A change to those commonly used resources would instantly propagate across the entire website. It took a little up-front work to arrange things in this way, but the payback was well worth it. I think all modern website design tools make this the de-facto method. It would, I think, take extra work to design a modern website in which changes in such core elements didn't propagate widely. The SL marketplace page has no SL branding on it at all.

The explanation is that SL is a loose collection of large web projects, based on incompatible foundations that share very little in the way of visible or structural design. It's difficult to synchronize/coordinate changes across those projects.

It's the same in-world. Indirect linking didn't even arrive inside SL until the V2 viewer. The even more powerful concept of full hierarchy (whether in building or scripting) will probably never be supported.

Edited by Madelaine McMasters
Spelling, punctuation, grammar... all those things that vex me.
  • Like 7

2 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

The explanation is that SL is a loose collection of large, web projects, based on incompatible foundations, that share very little in the way of visible or structural design. It's difficult to synchronize/coordinate changes across those projects.

5 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

I can see where other locations may not be quite so quick as it's a more complicated process.

Thank you for putting into words what I couldn't.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chris Nova said:

Your logo is your brand. When a company changes its logo, its across the board, not a spotty mix of old and new and certainly doesn't take this long. Why does it take well over a year to replace a logo across all their sites and portals AFTER they already announced it? Lol. Did they forget? I bet they forgot. Its ok, I forget a lot too.

Pssssttt....please please finish this because my ocd can't take much more.

The above article states they changed from the soft green to the blue as it's more energizing and reflective of SL and it's residents.  I agree, but I further think the blue is more attractive to males.  The green is more calming and maybe more feminine(?)  I'm not really sure.  But, one thing I do know about this "mint" color, that's what I'd call it, mint, is that when Coco Chanel came out with a nail polish in that mint color it was a smash!  It's still a beautiful color.  I prefer the mint myself.  I'm not much of a blue person...I like soft blues like powder blue...but I don't care for bright nor primary colors.  

Edited by FairreLilette
  • Like 1

Hard to get worked up about this one too.  I would rather functional things on the web site are working and not causing people problems than having the latest lipstick all over the place.  I imagine that the whole site is a patchwork of different systems made, borrowed and integrated from various other places, so it isn't surprising.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

I've wondered about such things myself. Decades ago, when I did substantial web design work, I made sure to link to graphic elements like logos rather than include them directly. A change to those commonly used resources would instantly propagate across the entire website. It took a little up-front work to arrange things in this way, but the payback was well worth it. I think all modern website design tools make this the de-facto method. It would, I think, take extra work to design a modern website in which changes in such core elements didn't propagate widely. The SL marketplace page has no SL branding on it at all.

The explanation is that SL is a loose collection of large, web projects, based on incompatible foundations, that share very little in the way of visible or structural design. It's difficult to synchronize/coordinate changes across those projects.

It's the same in-world. Indirect linking didn't even arrive inside SL until the V2 viewer. The even more powerful concept of full hierarchy (whether in building or scripting) will probably never be supported.

That method has always been the standard! Well, just about. But yes, with how different the various pages look makes it a lot more complicated than just replacing every element on the backend.

That and the old website is... aged. If you've ever looked at the code, it's rather terrifying. For example, there's all kinds of relics of times past commented out. For example:

/* hack - hide teh real submit button. we have to keep it in b/c IE won't submit on enter otherwise. */ /* input.css_button_hot { background: none; border: none; display:block; color:#FFF; float:left; width:0; height:0; } */

The HTML is old too, with several *errors*, hidden elements that aren't used, and it's all the old-school <div><div><div> mess instead of new semantic elements... so more or less, they have to make every new page from scratch. Which is a lot of work, even for a company.

• Like 3

To be honest, if nobody had mentioned in the past, I would probably never noticed that there was a new logo in place.
And that is a good sign. Logo's should not at all or very slightly been altered.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cinos Field said:

The HTML is old too, with several *errors*, hidden elements that aren't used, and it's all the old-school <div><div><div> mess instead of new semantic elements... so more or less, they have to make every new page from scratch. Which is a lot of work, even for a company.

So before basically it was ...

lipstick-on-a-pig.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

They've been putting out fires a bit more important in the last year to really worry about whether their new icon is replaced everywhere.  The Uplift, Covid, map tiles, group chat, teleport issues, etc etc etc.  The logo, I would hope, is a low priority.

The logo change takes less than 30 mins. And honestly, if it was so low on their priority list they shouldnt have even made that blog post.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

I will say that I do know that changing the front page and forum logos were the two easiest and quickest to do. Those were a matter of simply changing the link to the new image. I can see where other locations may not be quite so quick as it's a more complicated process. Changing a forum logo is as simple as copy/pasting a URL and saving the update.

LL is right about one thing. Sometimes it does take a little extra time for things to percolate through the system.

Sure, just not a year or more lol

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cinos Field said:

That method has always been the standard! Well, just about. But yes, with how different the various pages look makes it a lot more complicated than just replacing every element on the backend.

That and the old website is... aged. If you've ever looked at the code, it's rather terrifying. For example, there's all kinds of relics of times past commented out. For example:

Thats why I suggested days ago they hire a web design team. They redid the forums and front page nicely but thats it. The rest of the site looks heavily dated. If they want to attract new people to SL, they have to be at least consistent.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

Ok. I won't tell you about the dust bunnies under your furniture. 🤭

It's LL. Expecting them to change the way they push things out (sporadically and unfinished) is like expecting god to look like George Burns. It's not going to happen. 

Or maybe I've just learned to lower my expectations to zero. Or I've finally just given up.

thought everyone know God looked like Morgan Freeman

morgan-freeman_2016_02_23_16_33_22.jpg

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Chris Nova said:

Well thats kinda the whole point, isnt it? Nobody at LL seems to care either. 

aight, let's stop this,  LL does care,  LL has been running out of office with their staff since covid lockdowns, they still might be, WE have zero idea how many they have on their webdev team currently,  it might be nobody, it might be one person, but  the fact remains,  and this is very possible, that the person doing it also has other duties and this is one of those on the back burner on low priorities,    Highly wish people would totally get off of small companies like this and expect everything big and great instantly,  between covid and other issues and a few other high priority items, LL can take their time on this.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1087 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.