Banlines in the new Chalet homes (Faint Echo region, if not elsewhere as well)

Pussycat Catnap

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1130 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

@Abnor Mole:

Noticed banlines on a Chalet Home today. In the region Faint Echo.

So my alt then grabbed a home in that region and I discovered I can turn on general banlines there.

5eaddbd62a3a897158c2eaf7a077841b.png

(I turned my banlines off right after testing this... They're still on with the home I noticed in the region, if this is a Chalet wide issue, these might start popping up. Or maybe it's just an issue with regions that were recycled into Chalets? At least the map seems to imply some of these regions used to exist in some other form before.)

Edited by Pussycat Catnap
  • Like 8

Lol I thought my neighbor's parcel had a similar issue, seeing ban lines every time I passed.  Then it turned out that she had banned me!  Since I'd never spoken to her, never been on her parcel and have sounds limited and privacy on my home, this puzzled me.  It's a quiet region and her ban list is sizeable, so I began to wonder if she's banning every name she sees on a visitor counter, or something.

So I tested that.  I brought in an alt who'd never been to that region, and left her sitting on the grass two houses away from my neighbor's parcel for a few hours a couple weeks ago.  Just checked my neighbor's ban list, and yeppers, there's my alt.

THAT'S NOT NEIGHBORLY!

If I had ever spoken to my neighbor, I would offer her a visitor counter limited to her own parcel ... old freebie ones just do radius scans.  If anyone needs one, just drop me a note.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

6 minutes ago, Nika Talaj said:

Lol I thought my neighbor's parcel had a similar issue, seeing ban lines every time I passed.  Then it turned out that she had banned me!  Since I'd never spoken to her, never been on her parcel and have sounds limited and privacy on my home, this puzzled me.  It's a quiet region and her ban list is sizeable, so I began to wonder if she's banning every name she sees on a visitor counter, or something.

So I tested that.  I brought in an alt who'd never been to that region, and left her sitting on the grass two houses away from my neighbor's parcel for a few hours a couple weeks ago.  Just checked my neighbor's ban list, and yeppers, there's my alt.

THAT'S NOT NEIGHBORLY!

If I had ever spoken to my neighbor, I would offer her a visitor counter limited to her own parcel ... old freebie ones just do radius scans.  If anyone needs one, just drop me a note.

That actually could be a scripted security system that records names within a certain range and adds people to a ban list as a way to skirt around the 15 second rule on a security orb.  That very well could be an illegal security system setup

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

7 minutes ago, Nika Talaj said:

THAT'S NOT NEIGHBORLY!

You could always contact her via another alt.  Worse thing that happens is another one of your alts ends up on her ban list.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Nika Talaj said:

THAT'S NOT NEIGHBORLY!

Wish I knew where this is so I can be on the list... I hate being left out! 😂

• Haha 8

3 hours ago, Nika Talaj said:

Lol I thought my neighbor's parcel had a similar issue, seeing ban lines every time I passed.  Then it turned out that she had banned me!

That was the first thing I checked for. But this alt has no public persona so it would have been really weird and the banline was on the other side of the region. But no, it was a general banline.

The only reason I found it was since the map isn't working, when I land in a new region I briefly turn my camera up to 'well ain't this crazy'... and look around. And Firestorm lit up one parcel as red.

The banlines are now gone, and on my alt's own parcel, I can no longer set banlines. So, somebody fixed this issue.

9a7fe7974a19f37f04174cca078610c3.png

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Evangeline Ling said:

That actually could be a scripted security system that records names within a certain range and adds people to a ban list as a way to skirt around the 15 second rule on a security orb.  That very well could be an illegal security system setup

Interesting.

Would this be a violation or not?

I can see both sides of an issue on that.

Technically it's an instant 'orb'. But you're not tossing anyone out.

That said... it causes the very issues banlines always cause - such as vehicle fiascos when lag or something causes you to cross a boundary line. Not as common in Belli where the roads are not right up against and sometimes even partly into people's land... but it still can happen.

Actually... it's even worse than general banlines. Aircraft can fly over general banlines. But a named banline will break an aircraft even it's flying at 900m above your plot...

So yeah, this one would be bad. Nevermind seeing both sides... The impact of a script like that would be chaos.

But also very hard to catch if the script is smart about making the bans very short duration.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Pussycat Catnap said:

But also very hard to catch if the script is smart about making the bans very short duration.

Typically that is how those work I have already encountered it a number of times where i fly through a lot... get instabanned... then check and see that my ban is only for like 3 hours.  It is an exploit way of errecting banline for anyone and it should be a top tier AR

12 minutes ago, Evangeline Ling said:

Typically that is how those work I have already encountered it a number of times where i fly through a lot... get instabanned... then check and see that my ban is only for like 3 hours.  It is an exploit way of errecting banline for anyone and it should be a top tier AR

I've never seen it in the wild myself. If you do, let the moles and such know right away.

I have a 'script lag meter' thingy that I made to monitor how much script time folks were using up. And one option on the 'what to do about this' choices that I included was to do a temp ban. So I know how this could be made... but thankfully I've yet to encounter it.

I think I even disabled that feature from my copy of my meter when I found it was just causing drama.

• Like 1

On 4/4/2021 at 7:50 AM, Pussycat Catnap said:

Interesting.

Would this be a violation or not?

I can see both sides of an issue on that.

Technically it's an instant 'orb'. But you're not tossing anyone out.

That said... it causes the very issues banlines always cause - such as vehicle fiascos when lag or something causes you to cross a boundary line. Not as common in Belli where the roads are not right up against and sometimes even partly into people's land... but it still can happen.

Actually... it's even worse than general banlines. Aircraft can fly over general banlines. But a named banline will break an aircraft even it's flying at 900m above your plot...

So yeah, this one would be bad. Nevermind seeing both sides... The impact of a script like that would be chaos.

i haven't tested it but am pretty sure there is a 15 second warning to vacate the property (when a person is on the parcel) and when that person is added to the parcel ban list. In this sense a scripted system meets the Belli warning rule. It also meets the general Linden) rule that anyone can be added to the parcel ban list by the parcel owner

is sucky thing to do, but is not against Belli covenant as wrote. It may tho fall foul of Linden's interpretation of Harassment. Altho I think the Community guidelines might need to be re-written to make this clear if this was the case

• Moles

If anyone thinks they have found a verifiable example of someone using a script automatically to add trespassers to the parcel ban list, they're welcome to submit an AR or to contact me with details of the parcel location and we'll  investigate it.    If you see banlines you don't think should be there (they shouldn't, unless you've been banned by name), then stop and make a note of the parcel coordinates and the name of the region.  There have to be sufficient details in your report for us to know where to look, obviously.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

• Moles

The "able to set banlines on a newly released region" seems to be a problem where the new region isn't picking up that part of the estate settings when it is added to the estate. A restart of the region appears to correct this. So while residents may figure out that they can turn on ban lines for everyone by restricting access, they will soon discover after the region does its first restart that is no longer the case. "Anyone can visit" in the About Land menu will be checked and they no longer are able to uncheck it. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 7

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1130 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.