Mars Rover Perseverance lands today!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1182 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

8 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

Is there any other kind?

I love the li'l helper @ 0:55.

It's just different when it's your own crews poop is all.. hehehe

That movie, The Martian, Matt Damon really messed me up with taters after that.. hehehe

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Like 1

That was so exciting!  There must have been so many people watching and rooting for Perseverance along with the teams.  I thought how cool it was that she landed then almost immediately sent two images.  "Here you go.  No biggie."  Plus, each rover landing successfully makes me feel the others already there will be less lonely. :) 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Garnet Psaltery said:

That was so exciting!  There must have been so many people watching and rooting for Perseverance along with the teams.  I thought how cool it was that she landed then almost immediately sent two images.  "Here you go.  No biggie."  Plus, each rover landing successfully makes me feel the others already there will be less lonely. :) 

At one point, on  the NASA YouTube channel, there were over 3.2 million people watching. Several YouTube channels were running it at the same time so you could probably add a few million more to that.

I'll breathe easy when Perseverance wakes up in the morning with a strong signal. 🤞

I think most of us watching really want off this mudball. 🤭

Edited by Silent Mistwalker
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

I think most of us watching really want off this mudball. 🤭

Looking out the window this morning, seeing the waves of rain beating down.  I have to agree, (waves thumb at Elon....)

Edited by Anna Nova
  • Haha 1

Mars is HARD to land on. There's enough atmosphere so you have to worry about re-entry heating, but not enough for a parachute to slow you enough for a safe landing. The gravity is low, but still strong enough to be a problem. The bigger your payload, the harder it becomes to work out a good landing method. The round trip communication time lag of up to 20 minutes makes it impossible to fly and correct a vehicle from Earth, so everything has to be automated.

But Percy did a great job!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I think the Sky Cranes are the way to go until something better comes along. The Perseverance landing had to be the smoothest one yet! That first image from the landing cam was almost instant. So were the second and third images. Beautiful!

Did anyone else jump up out of their chairs and applaud when the team did? I didn't jump out of my chair either but I sure was cheering and applauding with as much enthusiasm as I had in 1964 when the Ranger 7 landed on the moon. I was almost 6 at the time so you can imagine. 🤭

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

Did anyone else jump up out of their chairs and applaud when the team did? I didn't jump out of my chair either but I sure was cheering and applauding with as much enthusiasm as I had in 1964 when the Ranger 7 landed on the moon. I was almost 6 at the time so you can imagine. 🤭

I must admit...when the camera came on...I thought, "Oh, it would be nice if they had attached a colour camera"...I was hoping to see the surface in red!

But I know nothing about NASA rovers or space science, so maybe the camera has to be in black and white for the light? 

Especially impressive if some of the team were working from home! 

11 minutes ago, Rat Luv said:

I must admit...when the camera came on...I thought, "Oh, it would be nice if they had attached a colour camera"...I was hoping to see the surface in red!

But I know nothing about NASA rovers or space science, so maybe the camera has to be in black and white for the light? 

Especially impressive if some of the team were working from home! 

It is in color. It just an illusion that it's in black and white. It has to do with the angle of the sunlight, distance from the sun, blah, blah, blah. All stuff professional photographers learn about on earth but atmospheric conditions on Mars are different.

https://mars.nasa.gov/mars2020/spacecraft/rover/cameras/

Some other links at the top of the page you might be interested in.

Edited by Silent Mistwalker
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1182 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.