Is the Cloud Working?

Prokofy Neva

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1176 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

9 hours ago, bigmoe Whitfield said:

LL moved every piece of server hardware to arizona some years ago,  now that's closed down, everything lives in aws in upper west coast in oreagon now

Where?

Where in Oregon that is. 😊

I'm just wondering how close it is to me.

Edited by Silent Mistwalker

40 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

Where?

Where in Oregon that is.  😊

I'm not sure where the aws actual site is all I know it's there and it's the only one.   also being how close to you is not really a factory, I can get sub 20ms with my vpn, than I can be connected to just my isp straight.    but vpn's are not the answer as routing can get very wonky.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

Where?

Where in Oregon that is. 😊

Wikileaks published a map of the Amazon Data Centers as they existed in 2015.  No clue how much of it is still true.

West coast locations:

image.png.c531a97ec889cf2b46e72b2e5d4a9d58.png

Oregon close-up:

image.png.0cbd8f5cb02105d82b388a6f0ed8192a.png

Source: https://wikileaks.org/amazon-atlas/map/

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, bigmoe Whitfield said:

I'm not sure where the aws actual site is all I know it's there and it's the only one.   also being how close to you is not really a factory, I can get sub 20ms with my vpn, than I can be connected to just my isp straight.    but vpn's are not the answer as routing can get very wonky.

That's not why I wanted to know where. I've never needed a VPN so I don't use one. I don't do much in the way of surfing any more because ID 10 Ts. 

I think I found it. Too far away for us to commute. https://www.oregonlive.com/silicon-forest/2018/04/google_touts_18_billion_invest.html

Thanks though!

2 hours ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

I think I found it. Too far away for us to commute.

That's Google's data centers.  Amazon AWS has 6 sites in NE Oregon, from Boardman to Umatilla Oregon now, will have 7 in that area eventually.  The map for 6 locations is here:  https://baxtel.com/data-center/aws-us-west-oregon

Satellite photo of a couple sites: 

https://i.gyazo.com/45196761e4d9f5e56f905ca580b5d220.jpg

https://i.gyazo.com/d6b027c320c4a02d0c29a6ed22e36d42.jpg

Note the AC power grids onsite.  They are close to the Columbia River for cheap electric power and cooling water.

Edited by Jaylinbridges
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

That's not why I wanted to know where. I've never needed a VPN so I don't use one. I don't do much in the way of surfing any more because ID 10 Ts. 

I think I found it. Too far away for us to commute.  https://www.oregonlive.com/silicon-forest/2018/04/google_touts_18_billion_invest.html

Thanks though!

Google and aws are not the same product even if they are "cloud based computing"   aws is the leader in "cloud server hosting"  and I was only speaking of a vpn, because of how my pings get lower while using it to connect to SL,  than without it.   but that's my testing.    if you do not need one that's fine.   

• Thanks 1

On 1/27/2021 at 12:10 AM, Prokofy Neva said:

So I think the point of "moving to the cloud" was to make SL work faster. Although the bottom line was likely rather about saving money for the Lindens on server costs, and that's fine, too.

But there's no question that SL in fact works worse and slower. Here are some of the ways:

o Search is broken. I've written extensively about this. I asked one doubting Linden to search her name and see the 5000 returns and the inability to scroll through enough pages to find her name due to lag. What this means is that paying $30 to place a lot in search/places does not work, it can't be seen.

o Groups don't load. That's always been a problem. You can't search for a name in a group, you have to try one letter, then two letters and wait for it to pull them up. These searches were slow; now they move like glaciers. This problem, and the brokenness of chat, and age-old problem, have forced some groups to move to Discord, which I personally don't like, but at least the chat doesn't freeze.

o When you pay for something on the Marketplace, it takes forever to arrive. It could be slow before -- now it is molasses. Even to the point where a notice now comes up that the merchant cannot sell this item now, although of course they can, it's in stock, copyable etc. Then many minutes go by -- it arrives.

o Group dividends don't arrive the next day but are late.

o When you try to pull up the list of names from the land menu, you can't, or you wait forever.

o When you arrive on a sim, it's not that there's grey squares -- it that things you know are there, like giant trees or somebody's car, just never rez, they never appear. You bump into them sometimes. If you relog sometimes they pop back. I actually thought that somehow everything in a rental had disappeared or I had the wrong group, because I couldn't see things, so I re-decorated it, and came back a few days ago to see everything doubled up.

o The map is abominable. It does not work. You click on it, and it if you try to click on yourself on it to get the coordinates or teleporter to a region, it will give you neighbouring regions God knows where. I have never seen such a broken map. Teleports just don't work via the map, forcing you to crawl-walk across sims, or fish for landmarks, or use broken search to try to find something you know is near where you are going.

There are other things I could add but I have to get back to work.

It's bad.

Let's not all start with this "Works on My Machine" or "maybe you have a lousy computer or internet connection." As always, I point out that 3 months ago, or a year ago, these problems weren't so acute, and I had the exact same computer, graphics card, and ISP. So it's not about the set-up.

UPDATE

o Search remains broken. This completely astounds me, as before, when it broke, in 2018, it was fixed within a day. Now, my ticket filed with the Concierge has been open, with various holding answers, for months.

o Groups don't load. An old story. You can't search on a direct name, but have to ease into it letter by letter.

o Marketplace purchases remain delayed, or even giving you a message that they can't be delivered.

o Group dividends arrived on time.

o Items still not rezzing, and appearing as a ghost now a problem again, with clothing missing.

o The map is fixed -- that's progress!

On 2/1/2021 at 9:07 PM, Ziggy Starsmith said:

SL so slow rezzing and laggy since the move to the "cloud" that is basically almost unusable? It took 10 minutes literally to log in and Rezz inworld almost everyday. It is not my computer as everybody seems to try and claim as no settings have been touched or changed in a year. All I know is I had great workings and movement before this cloud nonsence. 

I think The EEP stuff and the cloud have degraded SL to a crawl. If this is the case I think SL won't last another year if it is this unusable. Prokofy Neva is absolutely right!

Yeah, don't get me started on EEP, I think that's responsible, too.

And yes, I'm right, and that should be printed on a t-shirt : )

Some day little virtual children will remember me when they have a virtual federal holiday named in my honour.

• Haha 1

Cloud move was always about the cost first and foremost, everything else we were told was just a "potential" upside. Even the term "Cloud" itself was broadly mis-sold to us, invoking all kinds of techno magic that simply aren't applicable for SL.

Letting people get excited about the project was a mistake and a classic case of LL failing to manage expectations (by clearly stating "no, this probably wont make SL faster from a users perspective")

LL ditched their datacenter, and rented space in someone else's. Huge amounts of work were required as SL had been living in a bespoke tailored setup, finely tuned to deal with all our shenanigans and LL's internal workflow. 

Don't get me wrong, making SL work in a more generic server environment is a good thing and a huge benefit to the platform. Just not in any of the ways that matter to end users initially. Whether we see any of those benefits is another story entirely.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Prokofy Neva said:

o The map is fixed -- that's progress!

Unfortunately that seems to be FAKE NEWS and I fear I'm to blame. Sorry to raise false hope. Earlier I thought I saw improvement, but now I'm pretty sure it's still as bad as before.

Or, assuming it'll get fixed eventually, we could just claim to be both correct and early.

16 hours ago, bigmoe Whitfield said:

Google and aws are not the same product even if they are "cloud based computing"   aws is the leader in "cloud server hosting"  and I was only speaking of a vpn, because of how my pings get lower while using it to connect to SL,  than without it.   but that's my testing.    if you do not need one that's fine.   

Yesterday was not a good day. Today isn't much better. Don't ask me why I typed Google when Amazon was in my head. I don't have an answer. Other than, you know how sometimes you are thinking one thing but you actually say something different without realizing what you were saying wasn't quite matching what you were thinking? Yeah, that.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1176 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.