Please consider forbidding off-topic politically focused threads on General Discussion.

Chaser Zaks

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1200 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

2 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

My "guess" is that those threads were considered frivolous simply because of when they popped up.  They have locked silly threads before that gave the impression they were created just for the purpose of creating a thread, not really for any other reason.

I'm sure that was the reasoning.  But, frivolity can be nice after all the animosity of the other locked threads.  That, to me, is a constructive way to let everyone just get back to center.  

Back to word games!

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, RowanMinx said:

I'm sure that was the reasoning.  But, frivolity can be nice after all the animosity of the other locked threads.  That, to me, is a constructive way to let everyone just get back to center.  

Back to word games!

They were probably worried that if they left them, GD would very quickly be filled with a thread for every animal in existence, as well as any that we could dream up & imagine.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

i think Linden moderators have it pretty right

things can get heated over differences of opinion no matter the topic. I have myself been in quite heated conversations when discussing the difference between logic constructs and linear constructs and which is better when scripting LSL. Total SL - all heat

see the same in the mesh threads, in the photography threads, in the friends threads, etc. Heat can and does come everywhere

Linden tend to close threads when the heat goes circular and we start repeating ourselves post after post on the same topic.  You! No You! No You You! No You! You! You! When so then Linden go ok! we are all done here and close the thread

• Like 2

On 1/18/2021 at 9:51 AM, Chaser Zaks said:

All the political discussions I have seen in General Discussions has ended up being a majority of the following:

• Attacking other residents.
  • Name calling.
  • Insults.
  • Attempts to derail.
  • Calls for locking the thread.

I hear ya, but all of these are against the participation guidelines anyway, we are just being naughty. I am guilty of derails and will try to mend my ways. 🙏

18 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

LL discourages political posts simply because things do tend to get more heated much more quickly.  Despite all of the drama within threads on other topics, politics will almost always go down the toilet much faster and much harsher  And those threads pretty much always require much more moderation work.

Here is a post from Kristen from a couple of years ago about political posts:

Oh no, I read this old thread again where I was arguing with Pamela, and became angry with her again!  lol

I better go meditate, get 'in the now'   :)  

9 hours ago, animats said:

The scale of this problem will be much reduced in 12 hours and 11 minutes.

I have that sense too...tho I think we're going to see more attacks in the future with the extremism that has grown. But for now...

It's the day!
It's a very fine day.

Do you believe in freedom? Do you believe in love?
Do you risk the tiny steps, leading forward?

A place to rest, this one day, this very fine day.
And then we move on.

21 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

LL discourages political posts simply because things do tend to get more heated much more quickly.  Despite all of the drama within threads on other topics, politics will almost always go down the toilet much faster and much harsher  And those threads pretty much always require much more moderation work.

Here is a post from Kristen from a couple of years ago about political posts:

I ended up having to dig through the thread to find the post so here:

image.png.931d98b2756ab7f8cd26de0dd4049e50.png

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

My "guess" is that those threads were considered frivolous simply because of when they popped up.  They have locked silly threads before that gave the impression they were created just for the purpose of creating a thread, not really for any other reason.

So the purpose of creating a thread can't be to create a thread? How does that work? If you can't create a thread with the intention of creating a thread then the forum will be dead because no one can post a new thread, only in existing threads. Who would want to be here if it's like that? 🤔

• Like 1

"Recent weeks and months have taught us a painful lesson. There is truth and there are lies. Lies told for power and profit. Each of us has a duty and a responsibility as citizens, as Americans, especially as leaders ... to defend the truth and defeat the lies." -- Biden

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

I ended up having to dig through the thread to find the post so here:

Posted references to other thread will have one or two links in them, depending on whether the posted reference is to the thread itself or to a comment in the thread.  If the posted reference is to a specific comment in the thread, then if you click on top link in the posted reference -- the piece highlighted below -- then it will take you to the applicable comment.  If you click on the lower link of the posted reference -- the piece circled in red below -- it will take you to different parts of the thread depending on your preferences (maybe the beginning of the thread, maybe to the first unread post in that thread, etc...)

image.png.2c39dad5fd9687227ae17d206699e063.png

24 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

So the purpose of creating a thread can't be to create a thread? How does that work? If you can't create a thread with the intention of creating a thread then the forum will be dead because no one can post a new thread, only in existing threads. Who would want to be here if it's like that? 🤔

I meant frivolous threads posted without really caring about discussion or question/answer, etc..  They seem to allow us a certain amount of frivolous threads, but probably took action because folks were creating multiples of almost identical thread topics.

13 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Posted references to other thread will have one or two links in them, depending on whether the posted reference is to the thread itself or to a comment in the thread.  If the posted reference is to a specific comment in the thread, then if you click on top link in the posted reference -- the piece highlighted below -- then it will take you to the applicable comment.  If you click on the lower link of the posted reference -- the piece circled in red below -- it will take you to different parts of the thread depending on your preferences (maybe the beginning of the thread, maybe to the first unread post in that thread, etc...)

image.png.2c39dad5fd9687227ae17d206699e063.png

I meant frivolous threads posted without really caring about discussion or question/answer, etc..  They seem to allow us a certain amount of frivolous threads, but probably took action because folks were creating multiples of almost identical thread topics.

I know how to use the forum. lol I did click there and it did not take me directly to Kristen's post. Probably just a glitch but just in case it happens to someone else and they don't find it.

All threads that would have died almost as quickly as they were posted. Locking them was overkill. Why doesn't LL turn on global announcements and use them for such things since that is one of the purposes of global forum announcements? Mods can be given permissions to make them so why isn't LL using one of the tools they have like they insist we use the tools they've given us (block)?  It's all part of that inconsistency I've mentioned before.

34 minutes ago, Pamela Galli said:

"Recent weeks and months have taught us a painful lesson. There is truth and there are lies. Lies told for power and profit. Each of us has a duty and a responsibility as citizens, as Americans, especially as leaders ... to defend the truth and defeat the lies." -- Biden

I get your sentiments, but we are all not Americans here. Not trying to argue, merely trying to give a bit of incite here.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, halebore Aeon said:

I get your sentiments, but we are all not Americans here. Not trying to argue, merely trying to give a bit of incite here.

We are not all trans people here either, but I have always welcomed your posts about your trans experience...

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, halebore Aeon said:

The sentiment applies to all people. He just happened to be speaking to an American audience at the time

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Pamela Galli said:

The sentiment applies to all people. He just happened to be speaking to an American audience at the time

sorry to disagree...he's nothing for the rest of the world and even more as Trump totally nothing for me. Politicians stink... the same smell everywhere. Ours not less and we have our own problems to solve.

• Administrators

Welp, this thread is now closed. Once again, I am sure you all know why, but just to be clear, derailing a suggestion thread, or really any thread, to discuss the very thing we closed other threads for, is not okay. If this continues to happen, then I will have to start giving folks some time away from the forums, and I really don't want to do that. So please stop, you all know better.

-Tommy Linden

• Like 1
  • Thanks 6

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1200 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.