Totally Official, Approved, Dog Thread

TT120

37 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Hard to imagine not having Huskies, but one day I'll be to old to care for new ones.

I missed having cats -- and it is hard to find a Husky that goes well with cats.  Most Huskies view cats as either prey or a fun toy to chase and shake around in their mouth.  Kitties don't like that much.  I hadn't had cats for roughly 15 years, so when Loki and Gizmo passed within 2 weeks of each other, we decided to go the cat route.  

The one nice thing:  It used to cost us about $300-350 to board them both for a week's vacation (boarding, premium food, daily exercise, grooming at the end of the week), whereas now I can pay the kids across the street $5 per feeding (twice daily) to come feed the cats.  Much cheaper.  Not too mention that our backyard no longer has those "dog trails" where the grass is dead.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I missed having cats -- and it is hard to find a Husky that goes well with cats.  Most Huskies view cats as either prey or a fun toy to chase and shake around in their mouth.  Kitties don't like that much.  I hadn't had cats for roughly 15 years, so when Loki and Gizmo passed within 2 weeks of each other, we decided to go the cat route.  

[snip]

When my husky was young she and her sister were turned in to the SPCP for chasing chickens. When I first got her, she would hunt & kill rats. She would also swim after but not catch ducks. By the time she was old though, she was so mellow, she didn't bother my housemate's cats. She'd just eat their food. She liked to scare the small dogs my other housemate would dog-sit, though she wouldn't actually hurt them. I think she mostly wanted them to respect her, though I think she also enjoyed scaring them.

Huskies have a natural prey drive, but most dogs mellow out with age & good discipline.

• Like 2

My first 2 Huskies, Tooboe and Kiba (named for "Wolf's Rain" characters).

Tooboe (Red) came from a "puppy store" (he never was "quite right"), and Kiba (White) was an informal rescue.

ETA: I think they were both less than a year old in this picture. Kiba grew to be bigger than Tooboe. Tooboe got to be nice and fat (not nearly as fat as my current Huskies, but he was shorter).

20121008 192.JPG

Edited by Love Zhaoying
  • Like 6

Thinking that a picture of a husky must certainly make the best meme for someone being overly dramatic, I found this article.

https://www.myhappyhusky.com/why-are-huskies-so-dramatic/

Also, a husky-wolf can be either the best dog or the very worst. 

Edited by Persephone Emerald
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

Thinking that a picture of a husky must certainly make the best meme for someone being overly dramatic, I found this article.

https://www.myhappyhusky.com/why-are-huskies-so-dramatic/

Also, a husky-wolf can be either the best dog or the very worst. 

Quote: "If you don’t want to tolerate any silly behavior from your husky then you should start implementing strict training and make sure you are never positively reinforcing their drama. "

The writer showed their true ignorance!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Quote: "If you don’t want to tolerate any silly behavior from your husky then you should start implementing strict training and make sure you are never positively reinforcing their drama. "

The writer showed their true ignorance!

My first thought with that comment was, "Maybe if it's a show dog?:  Then I remembered this video:

• Haha 4

Huskies aren't the only DramaDogs. My Shiloh Shepherd, Bandit, argues with me. I mean, we have actual, verbal shouting matches...

Bandit: AwooRuff!
"What!?"
Bandit: "Aruff!!"
"You already HAD a cookie!"
Bandit: (Shakes head vigorously) "Whiiiiine!"
"Yes you did, just two minutes ago!"
Bandit: (Hops and stomps both front feet on the ground) "Ruff! RUFF!"
"NO MORE COOKIES! Dinner's in half an hour!"
Bandit: "Awwwwwrrr! SNORT!"
"Too bad, suck it up."
Bandit: Turns and goes over to the toy box, gets the toy with the loudest, most annoying squeak, and starts chomping it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

I love Corgis! They're like a Basset with a German Shepherd's ears and attitude.

I entered my Shiloh Shepherd, Tuck, in one of those All Breed International Dog Show events once. The idea is that the judge reads up on the breed standards of all the dogs she's judging and picks the one that best exemplifies the standard of its own breed. An impossible task, of course, but the judges do try very hard and the events are great fun for all.

Anyway, here's my 110 lb Shiloh, 26" at the shoulder, trotting around the ring with a pair of low slung little Corgis...because they're all in the Herding group. (Surprisingly, Corgis can herd quite large cattle. Fearless little gits.)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Dream Starchild said:

@Love Zhaoying my first dog together with my husband was also a brindle lab mix who weighed about 90 lbs! His name was Rusty, and he was the best boy. He's been gone for a number of years but I still think of him often and have photos of him all over the house.

1268672_10201753824640082_1148348535_o.jpg

Awww 

• Thanks 2

• 1 month later...