Totally Official, Approved, Dog Thread

TT120

Alright everyone, take a look at this 13lb dog.  She's really a cat because she lives with 5 of them, acts like a cat, and uses a litter box.  I almost put her in the cat thread.20230502_141029.thumb.jpg.3a1c29c71a332162e498e2801ec3fffb.jpg

She came with me to work today for her checkup and lab work.  My gal fell asleep under my desk and only got up because I offered her some turkey. 

She just turned 20.  20!  She still gets slow-old lady zoomies up and down the hall at home.  Her 8 remaining teeth look pretty good.  She is quite content in her decline.

Sharing my cat/dog, Freya.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, Cinnamon Mistwood said:

Alright everyone, take a look at this 13lb dog.  She's really a cat because she lives with 5 of them, acts like a cat, and uses a litter box.  I almost put her in the cat thread.20230502_141029.thumb.jpg.3a1c29c71a332162e498e2801ec3fffb.jpg

She came with me to work today for her checkup and lab work.  My gal fell asleep under my desk and only got up because I offered her some turkey. 

She just turned 20.  20!  She still gets slow-old lady zoomies up and down the hall at home.  Her 8 remaining teeth look pretty good.  She is quite content in her decline.

Sharing my cat/dog, Freya.

My Cinnamon is a catdog, too!

• Like 4

My sweet Niki died many years ago.   This is not a picture of her,  but if I didn't know it - I would swear it was.  She was a Golden Retriever Gold Lab mix - such a beautiful and loving doggie.   I miss her still !!!  I will have to go thru my storage and dig out some pictures to scan and share. 

Goldadore.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

After all these years,  I finally want another dog - but this time I am looking for a pint sized!

A doggie that fits in the kitchen sink instead of the bathtub!  I remember Niki would always shake off and the whole bathroom would get a shower! lol

YorkTerr.PNG

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
33 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Do not let them swim in the ocean. Their shapes remind me of the Titan submersible.

Luckily - These two don't like getting in the pool, although Cinnamon will get on the top step to "cool her withers".

But on a positive note, "fat floats"!  I recall an elderly lady friend when I was young, who was naturally buoyant. 

On 7/15/2023 at 9:01 PM, Love Zhaoying said:

A very rare picture. 

IMG_1934.jpeg

You're dogs are gorgeous. And i am so not saying this to be mean, but a bit on the plump side. I'm ONLY mentioning this because big dogs can run into orthopedic issues if they're carrying extra lbs. Got a dog park nearby? The huskies in my area are kings of the dog park, they love to play and run and are so sociable. 

• Thanks 1

This is my rough collie (like Lassie). I got him a little over a year ago as a pup because I never see rough collies around any more and they are the dog of my people lol. And friendly, smart. I think the coat scares people off but im finding it pretty manageable with a 5 minutes brushing session with a steel slicker brush every second day. 

image.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Ingrid Ingersoll said:

You're dogs are gorgeous. And i am so not saying this to be mean, but a bit on the plump side. I'm ONLY mentioning this because big dogs can run into orthopedic issues if they're carrying extra lbs. Got a dog park nearby? The huskies in my area are kings of the dog park, they love to play and run and are so sociable. 

Not mean at all, the boy is incredibly obese at 120lb.  This being only my 3rd and 4th Huskies, I had no idea this could happen; my first two Huskies only got a "little obese".

I had to "fire" one vet, because she said the GIRL was obese, 20lb ago.

It's too hot for much exercise here in Florida, and getting worse.  Only a few years ago I could walk my previous husky several times a day. These two, it is only cool enough for 2 or 3 times a day (twice in early morning, once after sunset).

One of my dog expert friends has recently told me that diet / feed amount is more important than exercise. Feeding them less / healthier food should be interesting. I'm sure lots of yelling and pouting will be involved. 😞

17 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

One of my dog expert friends has recently told me that diet / feed amount is more important than exercise. Feeding them less / healthier food should be interesting. I'm sure lots of yelling and pouting will be involved. 😞

I'm in Canada and it's been really hot and humid too. Like you, I try to get them out early morning and after sunset. Florida must be brutal right now. 

I think you're right about food intake, same thing for people. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

How do they like raw carrots for treats?

Most of my dogs have ended up overweight too, because I love to give them treats. My last lab mix, I referred to as a potato dog. Her mother had to use a pig harness, because her neck was wider than her head.

With my last dog, my husky, I had to give her 1 cup of kibble with a dried chicken piece shredded on top of it morning and evening. I'd give her a dried chicken piece or a raw carrot as a treat in the evening, and she would demand her treats with increasingly shrill barking until she got them. There were occasional small Milkbone biscuits, and of course the last bite of my food at times too. 

1 minute ago, Persephone Emerald said:

How do they like raw carrots for treats?

They had some frozen carrots when I first adopted them.

You literally wouldn't believe what I feed them, I'd tell you but then I'd get reported to the ASPCA for feeding them too much!

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

One of my dog expert friends has recently told me that diet / feed amount is more important than exercise. Feeding them less / healthier food should be interesting.

One of our Huskies would gobble down anything and everything (including anything the other dog didn't eat) -- and always seemed hungry.  The vet told us to supplement his food with green beans.  They have practically no calories, but do a good job of making the doggy feel fuller.  We would give him half a can of green beans with his breakfast and the other half can with his dinner.  It did seem to help a lot.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

One of our Huskies would gobble down anything and everything (including anything the other dog didn't eat) -- and always seemed hungry.  The vet told us to supplement his food with green beans.  They have practically no calories, but do a good job of making the doggy feel fuller.  We would give him half a can of green beans with his breakfast and the other half can with his dinner.  It did seem to help a lot.

Yes, I remember trying that along with the frozen carrots.  I'll try again once the "real diet" starts!

At this point, if too long goes by without a snack or bellyrub, the big boy will bark from the kitchen, and I'm at the other end of the house. It's always hard to tell if he just wants attention or a snack. He has a habit of doing this when I'm already in bed, too.  When he could just come into the room with me.. 🙂