Need help finding something

Reese Wicken

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1294 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

7 minutes ago, Eseme Nova said:

Sorry if this is the wrong board,  but this is also the most active one.

Could anyone point me in the right direction for a translating item in SL?

I get a lot of people who don't speak English IMing me and I hate limiting who I can chat with.

an active working translator is going to be hard to come by,  I think all of the free translators from ms and google ceased years ago, only ones I know of are the ones people have to pay for the api usage, and I've not seen any in sl,  but somebody might know and post for you :)

• Like 1

There's only one that I know of that's still for sale commercially, Q-Translator. It's expensive, nearly $L1,000, because the sales pay for the subscription to the Google Translate API.  There is also a much less expensive "Google Translate HUD"; it appears to be much less automated...you have to manually cut and paste text into it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Eseme Nova said:

I get a lot of people who don't speak English IMing me and I hate limiting who I can chat with.

I was speaking to someone who was Italian just this morning, and her chat was being translated in local on the fly. I'm not sure how that was being done. They were terrible translations, however, and a few things I had to run through Google Translate myself

To be honest, I mostly just keep Google Translate open in my browser, and copy and paste as needed.

• Like 2

I am using the Q-translator, I paid $L900 for it on MP.  It won't work on the fly with IMs, only in local chat, but it does have this:

_____

Private channels to help manage with IM

LSL scripts can not listen directly to IM, and therefore can not translate Instant Messages. However Q-Translator provides two private channels to translate IMs using copy/paste.

______

which I have never tried. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I was speaking to someone who was Italian just this morning, and her chat was being translated in local on the fly. I'm not sure how that was being done.

Q-translator, that's how.  Funny enough I seem to have met a heap of Italians & we are using this on the fly.  The translations seem ok to me but both parties have to be a bit judicious with their choice of words.   And yep, I've got google-translate always open in a window too.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Horus Salubrius said:

I am using the Q-translator, I paid $L900 for it on MP.  It won't work on the fly with IMs, only in local chat, but it does have this:

_____

Private channels to help manage with IM

LSL scripts can not listen directly to IM, and therefore can not translate Instant Messages. However Q-Translator provides two private channels to translate IMs using copy/paste.

______

which I have never tried. 

Thanks!  I don't do much IMing these days, most of my chatting is in local at really small clubs and such.  I'll keep that feature of it in mind though for IMs.

7 hours ago, Eseme Nova said:

I use this: https://translate.google.com/

Yes, tab out of SL, and go online and paste the chat in.

If you have to do the same thing inworld with a device, why not do it faster online?

I hate being force ported in to have to speak in room chat for a translator.

• Like 1

I'm all but certain that there used to be a way to use google translate withing the viewer. There was a place in preferences to turn it on and to paste a long hexadecimal number provided by google when one subscribed to the service. There was a charge, but my bill was never over a few dollars for a month. Now, looking through the preferences, I can't find it, so I guess  it was removed. I wonder why?

8 minutes ago, Jennifer Boyle said:

I'm all but certain that there used to be a way to use google translate withing the viewer. There was a place in preferences to turn it on and to paste a long hexadecimal number provided by google when one subscribed to the service. There was a charge, but my bill was never over a few dollars for a month. Now, looking through the preferences, I can't find it, so I guess  it was removed. I wonder why?

linden viewer menu:  Me \ Preferences \ Chat \ Translation... button (bottom left the dialog page)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Mollymews said:

linden viewer menu:  Me \ Preferences \ Chat \ Translation... button (bottom left the dialog page)

With that help, I found it in Firestorm:  Preferences/Chat/Typing/Translation

This seems to me to be a better solution than a translator.

Microsoft translator offers 2 million characters per month for free. That definitely seems like the way to go. It seems to me that the technology is likely continually updated and would, therefore, be better than a translator in SL would have.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1294 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.