IMO more vendors who sell older clothing & accessories should reduce them in price.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1286 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I was just looking up an outfit I bought for $900l back in 2009 and it's still $900l on the marketplace. The outfit itself was new in 2007 and while I still like it there's no way it compares to the quality of clothing creators can make today. There's a lot of old stuff around that people still charge a ridiculous amount of money for. My first shirt was a goofy pink shirt with a rooster and popsicle on it that was pretty much a basic circa 2005 shirt with a badly applied design. It's still in their shop selling for $75l. I know it's difficult for vendors to keep up on things sometimes but I can't help feeling like there's a lot of overpriced older stuff clogging up the marketplace. 

• Like 1

On 10/12/2020 at 2:20 AM, Zidaya Zenovka said:

I was just looking up an outfit I bought for $900l back in 2009 and it's still $900l on the marketplace. The outfit itself was new in 2007 and while I still like it there's no way it compares to the quality of clothing creators can make today. There's a lot of old stuff around that people still charge a ridiculous amount of money for. My first shirt was a goofy pink shirt with a rooster and popsicle on it that was pretty much a basic circa 2005 shirt with a badly applied design. It's still in their shop selling for $75l. I know it's difficult for vendors to keep up on things sometimes but I can't help feeling like there's a lot of overpriced older stuff clogging up the marketplace. 

I suspect some of those sellers aren't around in sl anymore to reduce prices. Would be great to see price reductions but editing mp listings can be a pain.

I've actually seen some stores hike up prices on their old stuff which is... interesting.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, AdminGirl said:

I suspect some of those sellers aren't around in sl anymore to reduce prices. Would be great to see price reductions but editing mp listings can be a pain.

I've actually seen some stores hike up prices on their old stuff which is... interesting.

This, I think, mostly -- although it's certainly possible that the introduction of BoM has resulted in an increase in the price of old system clothing.

Some larger stores do have "clearance sales" of older items. I've been to a few. I remember when Coco started moving to mesh -- they had a HUGE sale of their old inventory.

• Like 2

On 10/12/2020 at 2:43 AM, Scylla Rhiadra said:

This, I think, mostly -- although it's certainly possible that the introduction of BoM has resulted in an increase in the price of old system clothing.

Some larger stores do have "clearance sales" of older items. I've been to a few. I remember when Coco started moving to mesh -- they had a HUGE sale of their old inventory.

Oh yeah BOM stuff, that makes sense.

A shoe store did a repricing of their products and chose to increase their prices on old stuff as well. They probably wanted to have the same price tag on everything - their choice of course - but to see a price increase (instead of decrease) on old releases just seems weird to me.

• Like 2

Yeah-I understand some sellers not being around anymore. It does make me wonder where whatever money they might make goes. I know a popular furry avatar vendor who pretty much pulled up stakes and abandoned SL...yet some of their stuff is still for sale on their old Marketplace account. As far as outfits go it's just a little frustrating as I still prefer to wear a lot of older avatars and outfits. At least places like Bare Rose have always been reasonably priced. No price adjustment needed. As much as I love their outfits, though I wish there was a bit more variety and that it was more affordable. 

If you think it's overpriced, don't buy it.
Nearly nothing is worth what people pay for it. A majority of clothes, old and new, are all templates and only textured. The original template creator mostly gets only a one time price.
With new clothes it;s often just wait for a week or two, and a lot of stores will sell the same clothes, all for different prices.

• Like 1

On 10/12/2020 at 4:02 AM, Zidaya Zenovka said:

Yeah-I understand some sellers not being around anymore. It does make me wonder where whatever money they might make goes. I know a popular furry avatar vendor who pretty much pulled up stakes and abandoned SL...yet some of their stuff is still for sale on their old Marketplace account. As far as outfits go it's just a little frustrating as I still prefer to wear a lot of older avatars and outfits. At least places like Bare Rose have always been reasonably priced. No price adjustment needed. As much as I love their outfits, though I wish there was a bit more variety and that it was more affordable. 

If the sellers aren't around anymore but are still making mp sales, 10% still goes to LL so there's that.

For me, since I've been in sl for less than 2 yrs, a lot of the old stuff are actually new to me so I'm really happy when I can still find them available even if the sellers themselves have gone MIA. I know some close up shop completely when they leave sl which is such a shame.

2 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

it's certainly possible that the introduction of BoM has resulted in an increase in the price of old system clothing.

I have no doubt that this is true....... though, for many older items, the texture quality just cannot compare to today.  Texture size was more limited back then and that made a big difference in some of the 'layer' clothing.  Thus, IMO, much of that older stuff definitely is NOT worth a price increase.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, AdminGirl said:

If the sellers aren't around anymore but are still making mp sales, 10% still goes to LL so there's that.

Plus LL sells Lindens and some of those Lindens go into limbo never to be turned back into dollars.

If they’re still around, they might think their price is what the item is worth. Not much you can do about it. There was a thread about finding non skimpy clothes, most of the items indicated were older. I’m pretty sure even though they’re older, they’re still full price.

The only time I’ve really noticed items truly discounted was when they were about to be completely removed.

Creators that left do come back. I know someone that left years ago and came back to a little over 100k

10 hours ago, Zidaya Zenovka said:

I have a feeling, like others in this thread, that the seller is no longer there and it's just running as a "ghost" store.  LL still gets 10% of that.  In a thread with a Linden, he or she (can't quite remember the first name now) said that a MP store will only close 'if' there is no activity for 2 years.  We, store owners, basically need a will to close our store in the event we pass away.  For instance, if I die, I have no will, so it will just keep running but there will be no one to answer any of your questions because I wouldn't be here.   So, there are stores running with no one at the helm.  

However, I was thinking this same thing just the other day about "the old" in regards to heads.  It would be great if older heads were offered at a discount as most likely not as many are selling because of the switch to HD make-up for example.  So why not offer the older heads at a discount?

But, in the end, there are only certain things within our control.  

As far as some of the older clothing...I am BOM now...I tried an old "fairy" outfit with full prim skirt and I shot up 300K complexity!  Yikes!  So, I don't know how 'popular' BOM clothing is going to be especially the ones with prim skirts.   It's a beautiful outfit for photography though.  

Edited by FairreLilette

I've been seeing people wearing flexi skirts again, especially roleplay and period costumes, and they're still quite pretty. I occasionally buy old hats and veils and such, made long before mesh. One of my favourite shops for Victorian/ Edwardian accessories was owned by someone who unfortunately passed away years ago, but I'm glad the shop is still up.

I expect most of the high priced ones are people no longer active in SL.

One of the sellers who is still active, and who does lovely system/bom/flexi dresses, is Sharodie's.  I do frequently have to change the skirt panels from blended to masked though. I bought this one yesterday, for L$29.

50459388447_18a3907d7a_b.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Maitimo said:

I expect most of the high priced ones are people no longer active in SL.

One of the sellers who is still active, and who does lovely system/bom/flexi dresses, is Sharodie's.  I do frequently have to change the skirt panels from blended to masked though. I bought this one yesterday, for L$29.

50459388447_18a3907d7a_b.jpg

I know Sharodie's quite well and have about 5 or so.  

I'm wondering about the complexity of the prim skirt items.  The fairy costume I had and wore it again for the first time in a long time and shot up 300K in complexity to about 350k complexity overall.  It seems way high to wear it anywhere but even if complexity is too high some of these gowns are still great for photographs.  

EDIT:  Oh, and I just realized, the fairy dress has flexi wings.  It could be the flexi wings too that shot my complexity so high.  Beautiful wings though.  All the prim parts and wings floated beautifully too when I was wearing it in my home.  

Edited by FairreLilette

7 hours ago, FairreLilette said:

I know Sharodie's quite well and have about 5 or so.  

I'm wondering about the complexity of the prim skirt items.  The fairy costume I had and wore it again for the first time in a long time and shot up 300K in complexity to about 350k complexity overall.  It seems way high to wear it anywhere but even if complexity is too high some of these gowns are still great for photographs.  

EDIT:  Oh, and I just realized, the fairy dress has flexi wings.  It could be the flexi wings too that shot my complexity so high.  Beautiful wings though.  All the prim parts and wings floated beautifully too when I was wearing it in my home.  

The ones I have seem to be mostly low. The one I wore yesterday had my total complexity at around 45k so the dress itself must be around 15-20k.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 10/12/2020 at 3:35 AM, Akane Nacht said:

One of my favourite shops for Victorian/ Edwardian accessories was owned by someone who unfortunately passed away years ago, but I'm glad the shop is still up.

Probably I know it, but you wouldn't mind PMing me the store, would you? I'm always looking for nice thing ca. 1890-1950.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1286 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.