Drastically Changing Our AV's

Bagnu

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1358 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I get used to a person in a certain way, and it's strange for me. I am not trying to say it's wrong, it's just my reaction.

Edited by Bagnu

16 minutes ago, Bagnu said:

I get used to a person in a certain way, and it's strange for me. I am not trying to say it's wrong, it's just my reaction.

That is understandable, and I am not saying that you are saying it's wrong. I am just trying to clarify what you meant, as your original post was left open ended.

• Like 1

On 8/12/2020 at 4:46 PM, Dragon Hijinks said:

There are people in SL who...don't change their av? This is news to me.

7900efe0adf24457c16088f3ca3c3331.png 

😌

There are avatars that NEVER change... even clothes. Several of the Lindens have an avatar that does not change or at least not often. Several of the developers/designers that attend the User Group meetings almost never change.

But, there are people that go into Coldstone and order vanilla...

10 minutes ago, Nalates Urriah said:

There are avatars that NEVER change... even clothes. Several of the Lindens have an avatar that does not change or at least not often. Several of the developers/designers that attend the User Group meetings almost never change.

But, there are people that go into Coldstone and order vanilla...

It makes sense for the Lindens to stay to their established AV's. It makes them quickly recognizable.

I'm assuming Coldstone is an icecream place?

On 8/12/2020 at 4:22 AM, BelindaN said:

I'm really attached to my look, which won't change much because its who I am here.

But my alts allow me to change my look. It's odd because when I'm me, I think of them as real sisters. But when I'm any one of them, I become them and my behaviour changes subtly. It's very unexpected. The brain is strange indeed.

I missed your post before, but I totally agree on this. I don't have alts, but my AV is who I am here,

If I was not allowed to change how I look on the daily, I'd leave SL. The creativity that a virtual world allows is probably one of the biggest draws for me. And, as one person already said, when we are friends, I am friends with the person, not the avatar, and could care less what the avi looked like that day.  My friends always comment on "we never know what we are going to get with you" regarding my looks. When I didn't change, they asked if I was feeling ok :) Something someone said to me though clicked.. that regardless of the look of my avi, I was always "me". In other words, that attachment to the visual didn't matter because our energy always showed through. 

• Like 1

I change my look all the time, sometimes I go through complete head to toe changes multiple times in one day.  For me that's a huge part of SL. although back on my original avatar I did stick with the same basic look (purple skin and wings) for a long time.

This is all me and a few of the looks I made for events but then I spent time wandering around SL in all of them . 

I think if I didn't change my look so much it would confuse my friends. 

49348468592_5816bee252_c.jpg

49782690826_440720e5fd_c.jpg

50091641003_5fceebd3e1_c.jpg

50149778736_791a6f434e_c.jpg

50175295832_5bc180aa8e_c.jpg

50208378333_8ecc3b1935_c.jpg

49819273863_9dc7759278_w.jpg

50229117933_99e8c3571f_c.jpg

• Like 3

On 8/12/2020 at 5:05 PM, Bagnu said:

I think maybe you "role play" a little without really knowing it in that you are "Pearl" and Pearl is like a person.   

My first time in Second Life which was years ago, I thought we were supposed to be one character or one avatar.  I did not change my hair for a year!  I always went to my Second Life job as pretty much the same person just changing clothes, shoes and jewelry.  I only had one skin, too that I wore all the time.  So, I was always "her".  And, most other avatars in SL were also the same avatar/person/character, we just changed clothes but most of us had the same hair most of the time just like me from what I remember.  And, then one day, an avatar friend showed up with different hair, and I went out and bought some new hairs too.  

Now, many years later, I can be as many as 3 to 4 avatars a day on the same account because Second Life is different now as it's more about avatar customization and Second Life photography is very popular and avatar art a wonderful art form, imo.   Second Life official group on FLICKR has some amazing photos all should take some time to see.  

The old Second Life when I was an avatar person is over for me.  I want to do all kinds of creative things now, including avatar customization.  So, I'd consider myself a "changling"...the real me is still here, it's just not in one particular avatar like it used to be.  

Edited by FairreLilette

5 hours ago, FairreLilette said:

I think maybe you "role play" a little without really knowing it in that you are "Pearl" and Pearl is like a person.   

My first time in Second Life which was years ago, I thought we were supposed to be one character or one avatar.  I did not change my hair for a year!  I always went to my Second Life job as pretty much the same person just changing clothes, shoes and jewelry.  I only had one skin, too that I wore all the time.  So, I was always "her".  And, most other avatars in SL were also the same avatar/person/character, we just changed clothes but most of us had the same hair most of the time just like me from what I remember.  And, then one day, an avatar friend showed up with different hair, and I went out and bought some new hairs too.  

Now, many years later, I can be as many as 3 to 4 avatars a day on the same account because Second Life is different now as it's more about avatar customization and Second Life photography is very popular and avatar art a wonderful art form, imo.   Second Life official group on FLICKR has some amazing photos all should take some time to see.  

The old Second Life when I was an avatar person is over for me.  I want to do all kinds of creative things now, including avatar customization.  So, I'd consider myself a "changling"...the real me is still here, it's just not in one particular avatar like it used to be.  

SL has been like that for years, but I think many of us wanted this one look. As it seemed to be the most comfortable thing to do. I still know many people who use one look. Now me, I am very fluid in how I look. I have many looks for the many facets of my personality. And I love that about myself, I think I have like 2 female looks and 2 male looks.

I have alts that I don't use. Technically Milly is an alt since it's not my original avatar (and now all my cool stuff is with Milly so I'm not going to start over with my OG account). I made alts for different reasons, a lot of it was I was bored and thought it would be fun to see what it would be like to see what the start up for an account was like (since it's changed over the years) but  Milly, like another alt , was made because I needed a break from my original avatar and the memories there ( I had ended a long term SL turned RL relationship and it was just extra hard being on that avatar). 

I don't roleplay and even my alts are pretty much just me. No matter how I look  it's just me and not a character or role play situation. So if I look human or like an alien I'm still just the same person, the outside looks a little different.

I've known people who made their avatar to look as close to their RL appearance as possible or maintained certain aspects. I had one friend who only wore brown hair because she had brown hair IRL.

Everyone does SL different. Honestly for me it feels strange and odd to stay the same.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1358 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.