Drastically Changing Our AV's

Bagnu

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1341 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

3 minutes ago, Bagnu said:

I find it very confusing when someone drastically changes their AV. Disturbing actually.

I think that, just as most of us come to identify with how we look, so too we tend to use the visuals of the avatar appearance of others as sort of "hooks" upon which to hang our sense of the identity of others. And really, our own identities here are also to some degree dependent upon those with whom we most customarily engage, so there may even be a sense that there is something of ourselves at stake when others change their appearance.

So, yes, I think it is often "disturbing."

But it's also, I think, good, because it undercuts our tendency to assume that people can be read from the "outside." In the same, more specific way that gender fluidity is reinforced by our ability to easily (and, theoretically, without detection) assume gender identities that do not simply correspond with our RL ones, so more generally does the "shock" of seeing someone we know "change" undercut our complacency about the relationship between identity and appearance. It reminds us that we are who we choose to be, and not how we "look" -- or how you choose to "read" me from the outside.

So, being disturbed is sometimes a good thing, no?

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I think that, just as most of us come to identify with how we look, so too we tend to use the visuals of the avatar appearance of others as sort of "hooks" upon which to hang our sense of the identity of others. And really, our own identities here are also to some degree dependent upon those with whom we most customarily engage, so there may even be a sense that there is something of ourselves at stake when others change their appearance.

So, yes, I think it is often "disturbing."

But it's also, I think, good, because it undercuts our tendency to assume that people can be read from the "outside." In the same, more specific way that gender fluidity is reinforced by our ability to easily (and, theoretically, without detection) assume gender identities that do not simply correspond with our RL ones, so more generally does the "shock" of seeing someone we know "change" undercut our complacency about the relationship between identity and appearance. It reminds us that we are who we choose to be, and not how we "look" -- or how you choose to "read" me from the outside.

So, being disturbed is sometimes a good thing, no?

I still want know as how I met you. Or some variation. Not judging a book by it's cover is a good thing though. I feel our identity is a combination of our appearance and personality. I won't change my AV too much, because my psychological identity is linked to that.

7 minutes ago, Talligurl said:

you mean like when i go from blue hair to pink?

LMAO NO!!!

Edited by Bagnu
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bagnu said:

I still want know as how I met you. Or some variation. Not judging a book by it's cover is a good thing though. L feel our identity is a combination of our appearance and personality. I won't change my AV too much, because my psychological identity is linked to that.

We do evolve and grow on a personal level in r/l (hopefully) so it stands to reason that our avatars will too even aside from changes in fashion, emotional states etc. 

• Like 5

I enjoy it when my friends don't stereotype their avatar so i find it very refreshing when they show me something totally new and different . It's a nice way to avoid SL monotony.

nick.thumb.jpg.7849a7be009b60ffc8dfd1e5d9b27bb7.jpg.d8c4d455779750f3d31553a427769b9a.jpg

Edited by Nick0678
  • Like 5

3 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

We do evolve and grow on a personal level in r/l (hopefully) so it stands to reason that our avatars will too even aside from changes in fashion, emotional states etc. 

i will always stay Pearl though. I definitely will improve my AV over time, but I personally wouldn't be able to change my appearance drastically. Of course I change my dresses and shoes.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bagnu said:

i will always stay Pearl though. I definitely will improve my AV over time, but I personally wouldn't be able to change my appearance drastically. Of course I change my dresses and shoes.

When you have your avatar to where you are satisfied with the look, take a picture and keep it for future or better yet, keep a reference outfit and compare the changes in 6 months, a year, 5 years. I have some from when I joined and on occasion put on and shudder and quickly hide again :)

• Like 4

I actually just changed bodies last week. New body, new head, new hair. The clothes are close to the same, since most stuff comes in multiple bodies, I just go into the pack and dig out the other version.

My lady says she's already used to it.

Snapshot_005.thumb.png.8ec5e89e78af947d67fb98bc2fc484f0.png

Snapshot_001.png

Edited by Paul Hexem
Pictures
  • Like 9

Just now, Arielle Popstar said:

When you have your avatar to where you are satisfied with the look, take a picture and keep it for future or better yet, keep a reference outfit and compare the changes in 6 months, a year, 5 years. I have some from when I joined and on occasion put on and shudder and quickly hide again :)

Of course I will change. I want to keep my basic appearance though,

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Skell Dagger said:

You would probably be enormously disturbed by me, then.

disturbed.thumb.jpg.18a2d99cc2fecd242e02a646064dbcf6.jpg

All the same person. No alts.

Yes I would be. I don't mean that offensively though.

• Like 1

Many of us are attached to our SL appearance. And yet over time we change. I think the more attached we are the slower we change. But most do change.

46877480431_397c68e50c_z.jpg

The step by step changes...

26248660471_bca7b69612_b.jpg

There are threads around here where these types of images are the thing. It helps to have good images of your avatar. Getting some each year pays off when these memes come up.

• Like 6

I would confuse and disturb the hell out of you then. I change between a dozen heads,  numerous skins, and hundreds of hairstyles. My avatar is a doll. 

And honestly, what is there to be confused by? You do realize not everyone experiences the virtual world as you do, or is here for the same reasons that you are, right?

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

For me.. I get tired of how I look or my shape is or face shape in like a good month or 2, so I feel like I change up my face more than my body, but don’t think it’s super drastic though, but that’s the fun of being able to do whatever and whenever you want on here! 

• Like 3

It wouldn't disturb me at all.  If I'm friends with YOU, it's not your avatar I'm friends with.  For me it all goes back to....how a.person looks has nothing to.do.with whether I'd message them in the first place.  If a friend showed up tomorrow as a troll doll or whatnot, I'd probably just ask where they got it and then go shopping with them for troll clothes.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Eva Knoller said:

And honestly, what is there to be confused by? You do realize not everyone experiences the virtual world as you do, or is here for the same reasons that you are, right?

I do of course. Everyone has their own reason for being here.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Nalates Urriah said:

Many of us are attached to our SL appearance. And yet over time we change. I think the more attached we are the slower we change. But most do change.

46877480431_397c68e50c_z.jpg

The step by step changes...

26248660471_bca7b69612_b.jpg

There are threads around here where these types of images are the thing. It helps to have good images of your avatar. Getting some each year pays off when these memes come up.

You are still basically recognizable though.

29 minutes ago, RowanMinx said:

It wouldn't disturb me at all.  If I'm friends with YOU, it's not your avatar I'm friends with.  For me it all goes back to....how a.person looks has nothing to.do.with whether I'd message them in the first place.  If a friend showed up tomorrow as a troll doll or whatnot, I'd probably just ask where they got it and then go shopping with them for troll clothes.

Maybe I'm a little shallower lol!

1 hour ago, Bagnu said:

You may think that but... things change.  Here I am, in 2007:

1565984864_Ajay2007.thumb.jpg.18863fe739ee5c69251796c096a0b8a4.jpg

And here I am in 2020:

1423674636_DemonCave_curvesedit.thumb.png.bf42cf364c2f1ffb33a3e7016a8fc8a4.png

I mean, this isn't even "me", so to speak.  I was just annoyed this day, ergo:  demon.  But  we all change our appearance for varying reasons here and there.  I don't see it being such a big deal.

For the record, this is me when I'm mildly less peevish.  So, Ajay, just not as intense.

1861816084_BubbleSailing_003_edit.thumb.png.d2bd274a1fec0ef19d170a7a1e926c90.png

In the end, it's always me.  I don't see why any version of it should be disturbing.

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1341 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.