Blake Sea is now up on Aditi!

Mazidox Linden

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1344 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• Lindens

Hi there everyone!

As you may have noticed in my previous announcement, some of the regions we recently brought back online on Aditi are in the cloud! We've now expanded the number of regions we're running in the cloud on Aditi to include the entirety of the Blake Sea mainland regions. For those of you who aren't familiar with Blake Sea, you can use the following entry points to log in on Aditi and rez a vehicle to start exploring. If you're not familiar with Aditi itself, you can learn more here.

Entry points:

Blake Sea - Japan (secondlife://Aditi/secondlife/Blake%20Sea%20-%20Japan/207/248/22)
Blake Sea - Beagle (secondlife://Aditi/secondlife/Blake%20Sea%20-%20Beagle/207/208/13)
Blake Sea - Mainbrace (secondlife://Aditi/secondlife/Blake%20Sea%20-%20Mainbrace/211/241/16)
Blake Sea - Atlantic (secondlife://Aditi/secondlife/Blake%20Sea%20-%20Atlantic/245/219/16)

Objectives:

Test region crossing code (particularly using vehicles) between cloud simulators on the same host, and cloud simulators on different hosts.

Known Issues:

• Some regions cause you to "bounce off an invisible wall" at the region border, even though you are able to see into them. Please report instances of this occurring in this thread, with the region you were in, the region you were trying to enter, the date, and the time.
  • Some regions will not show up at the edge of your current region, even though they are adjacent. Please report instances of this occurring in this thread, with the region you were in, the region that failed to appear, the date, and the time.
  • HTTP-out for LSL scripts is disabled on cloud-based regions. Please don't report this, as it is currently working as intended.
  • Sending email via LSL scripts is disabled on cloud-based regions. Please don't report this, as it is currently working as intended.
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Useful boat rez zone: secondlife://util.aditi.lindenlab.com/secondlife/Blake%20Sea%20-%20Beagle/224/235/35

Cruising around the Beagle area works fine. Fast region crossings, maybe 0.5sec.

• 17:43 SLT: Jetsam to Siren's Isle in a fast power boat - boat disappeared, stuck at bottom of ocean. Repeated 2x.
  • 17:50 SLT: Caribbean  to China in a fast power boat - boat disappeared, stuck at bottom of ocean. Retried at very slow speed, bounced off boundary at China (259,204)
  • 18:20 SLT: Indefatigable to Haggerty in a slow sailboat - boat disappeared, stuck at bottom of ocean. Unlike the others, can't see into Haggerty at the bottom of the ocean.

All region crossings were either perfect or total fail - nothing in between.

Lost boats do not show up in Lost + Found - they're just gone.

Edited by animats
  • Like 1

Took little sail tour test at Blake Sea - Atlantic - WOW, smooth flawless very fast region crossing entering adjacent regions.

Boat 3rd generation BOSS Dynamic Sailing Engine, 10 running scripts, 640 KB allowed memory size limit, 0.118628 ms of CPU time consumed.
My self full mesh avatar/head on purpose with skipper HUD, 22 running scripts, 1264 KB allowed memory size limit, 0.071830 ms of CPU time consumed.

20 knots, 30 knots (yeah summer storm with strong winds!) and crazy hurricane with 60 and 90 knots just to push limits. No problems 😁

Looking very promising.

• Like 1

I was sailing on the blake yesterday and noticed some VERY rough sim crosses and got thrown off a couple times and even had to relog. Then I flew in a plane for a bit and it was really bad and yes I hit that invisible wall you speak of. In fact I could not even take off from the Norway airport at all. But when the sim crosses went 'normal' they didn't seem to be any better - or worse than it always has been 

Tried two times to sail out of Half Hitch, once into Binnacle, now into Lanyard. Both ended in boat loss. Guess I've chosen a bad start point :)

Rezzed boat in Mainbrace now, instantly lost it to the crossing into Mizzen. Things just don't want to work for me I guess.

Edited by CarlaWetter

Trailing Animats I had some more success now (4:30 - 4:35 SL) starting from Beagle in a Star Class boat heading east. Very smooth ride followed by complete boat loss upon hitting the crossing to China.

Wortking crossings are indeed very fast, hardly noticeable. And if it goes wrong, it's always catastrophic.

@Mazidox Linden Are the regions themselves hosted in in separate cloud regions and/or availability zones? It would be interesting to see whether crossings between say Oregon and Frankfurt or Ohio and Beijing had noticably different failure profiles to Frankfurt to Frankfurt or  Ohio to Ohio.

• Thanks 1

It's fairly easy to tell which regions will kick vehicles out from around you. If you have a viewer that shows parcel borders on the minimap, regions that don't have any parcel borders (where there probably should be) are the most likely to kick.

Edited by Artair Glendullen
Clarification

17 hours ago, Jackson Redstar said:

I was sailing on the blake yesterday and noticed some VERY rough sim crosses and got thrown off a couple times and even had to relog. Then I flew in a plane for a bit and it was really bad and yes I hit that invisible wall you speak of. In fact I could not even take off from the Norway airport at all. But when the sim crosses went 'normal' they didn't seem to be any better - or worse than it always has been 

Wait, this discussion is about the copy of the Blake Sea sims on the beta test grid. I don't think the copy has the Norway airport. Are you talking about the main grid?

More data! You can cross at corners! ...Some of them. I tested one yesterday and two today. Two just changed camera view, and on one I lost control, both avatars (ty for being my test copilot, Marianne!) seated in the vehicle were dragged along outside and couldn't stand until the vehicle was deleted.

Edited by Artair Glendullen
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Artair Glendullen said:

You can cross at corners!

You can do that on the main grid if you are going slowly enough. Most of the better vehicles have something to slow you down near region corners. You do two region crossings when you cross at a corner. If the second one starts before the first one finishes, the crossing will fail.

doublecrossing.thumb.jpg.0672671add61cb8cc7efc2682f7a7fa5.jpg

Kama City, where double region crossings are a normal part of driving.

If you drive in Kama City on Zindra, you get to experience this at every intersection.  If you make a left turn, you will make two region crossings in rapid succession. Since I built my bike shop in Kama City, I had to deal with that early on.

On 7/20/2020 at 11:37 PM, Lucia Nightfire said:

If someone would give a damn about starting and keeping Mauve up, I could do testing to see if there are script function behavior anomalies, especially since my testing scripts are stuck in boxes in that region. ☹️

While we're at it, it would be helpful if Morris and its friends had more object entry allowed. The sandboxes have building allowed, but not object entry. I tried one of my NPCs, which immediately complained that it wasn't allowed to go anywhere.

Took my Wroco-80 out for a spin from Blake Sea - Japan.

eastward, ran into the wall between Aegean and Red (flank speed, oof)

westward, between Irish and China (steady)

Tried Half-Hitch. My boat made the crossing into Lanyard, and my avie got ghosted. Had to relog into Blake Sea - Japan.

I had more success logging into Mainbrace, and flying over to Spyglass for the rez zone there. I was able to run through a couple of four-corner crossings and then I hit another wall. On my minimap (I use the SL viewer) it looks like Void Sea. No terrain textures, no objects, just a blue square. You may have enough time to adjust course if you are looking for them. 🙂

🙂Edit: when I went to rez another boat in Spyglass, I was tossed into the next region when I started my engines up. I was still able to roam about after this as well, with no camera difficulties or anything. At least until I ran into Sirens Isle 😉

I am looking forward to having this experience on the Main Grid!

Edited by Pygar Bu
additional info

11 hours ago, Artair Glendullen said:

More data! You can cross at corners! ...Some of them. I tested one yesterday and two today. Two just changed camera view, and on one I lost control, both avatars (ty for being my test copilot, Marianne!) seated in the vehicle were dragged along outside and couldn't stand until the vehicle was deleted.

Can confirm on the camera displacement on four-corner crossings. I used the "footprint" of my boat to figure out which way I was heading from my minimap 😉 Not ideal, but I like the challenge!

18 hours ago, Beq Janus said:

@Mazidox Linden Are the regions themselves hosted in in separate cloud regions and/or availability zones? It would be interesting to see whether crossings between say Oregon and Frankfurt or Ohio and Beijing had noticably different failure profiles to Frankfurt to Frankfurt or  Ohio to Ohio.

No. All one region and AZ for now.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I sailed a few sims from Arabian and it was near perfect.  Under 1 second at sim borders, versus 5 or 6 seconds on production grid.   and yes - corners no problem!

BUT I have a silly question ... this grid is very underpopulated and underbuilt and http requests are turned off.  How much of the dramatic improvement is simply due to that, versus the cloud environment.   Its counter intuitive (to me anyway) that a cloud based 'network' would be faster than a physical setup with co-located servers.

• Like 1

I've just come from Aditi's version of "Blake Sea - Japan" and surrounding Regions, and my experience of sim-crossing was frankly speaking horrible.

My avatar had fairly efficient scripts: [21/21] running scripts, 1296 KB allowed memory size limit, 0.043148 ms of CPU time consumed. In each case, I started at the Japan rez zone.

• 1st Attempt, in an Ushuaia: first sim crossing going from Japan to Irish was fine, but I became detached from my boat and on the sea floor at China. 
  • 2nd Attempt, in a BOSS 225 at around 20 knots, crossing at mid-sim level at 90 degrees - same issue at the Irish/China border
  • 3rd Attempt, in the BOSS 225 at 17 knots, again same type of approach at Irish/China and this time flying high in the sky and stuck in sitting animation. Had to log out and log back in as there was no shifting this stuck position
  • 4th Attempt, this time on a Sea Boss jetski, same type of approach at Irish/China, again ended up detached from vehicle and flying high. Ended up detached on the seabed.When walking, unable to turn left or right with keyboard, only possible via mouselook and aim.
  • 5th Attempt, on Sea Boss jetski, made it past Japan/Irish border or so I thought. However detached and avatar flying locked in sitting position without vehicle in mid-Irish sim.Eventually ended up standing on sea floor minus vehicle just into the Irish sim at the Japan/Irish border.

On all the occasions that I lost my vessel, I didn't receive it into Lost and Found (not sure if this is normal for Aditi or not, but I'll mention it as someone else did earlier)

I also noted a lot of rubberbanding when avatar flying from one Region to the other.

I had another go in the "Blake Sea - Arabian" area instead.

Initial findings in the Sea Boss were better than in the post above. I made the Arabian/Indian/Beauforte/Cannonade Region boundary transitions without too much issue (minor rubberbanding aside at Arabian/Beauforte). However, Cannonade/Thunderer boundary proved one too much and I was flying high again, detached from the vehicle and locked in sitting position, eventually to end up standing at Cannonade/Thunderer border on the sea bed.

Note in both this test and the previous one, my lagmeter was suggesting normal function, and I had 80-160 FPS on average.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1344 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.