The Party Zone

Nika Talaj

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1388 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

OK, so the Party Zone (yes, that's the actual name of the parcel) is a large, roughly circular rez zone in SSPE1071 (right above Thatch Lea).

1766050115_PartyZone.JPG.bd89b0ee1e21a8b37434960f492a01f1.JPG

There's also an auto rez zone on the road above it, and as you see a boat rez zone.

I have my personal thoughts as to how this resource could be used by the community, but really I'd love someone official to chime in and say what y'all had in mind when you created it?  @Derrick Linden, @Patch Linden, @Abnor Mole?  Beuller?

Right now, people use it to rez fun stuff and play with it.  I saw some folks rez a truck, drive a car into it (WHA?), close the tailgate, and drive away!  GTFO indeed!

Winged pegasuseseses (pegasi?), really loud sports cars ... etc..

Personally, I'd like it to be a place where any Belli resident could throw a quick party *skips around*.  I wish it had a deeded radio that anyone could add URLs to, so DJs could gather a crowd without cramming them onto their houseboat deck.   I wish it had the AVSitter experiences enabled, so folks don't look weird in their cars. I wish it had a bulletin board that was a google calendar where any resident could reserve the space for a limited time (a less formal process than using the Fairgrounds).  I wish it wasn't a homestead (avatar limit 25), but even with that limit, what a great place for a wedding! 

Or maybe for Sunday! Sunday!  Sunday!  FUNNY CARS!!!!!!    (I'm sorry, they must have run that commercial once every 10 minutes on whatever radio station I listened to as a kid)

Your thoughts?

• Like 6

OH wow!  I turned to leave the parcel, and saw this little radio owned by the LDPW sitting on the sand!

Radio.JPG.a1443fada422920ac25d05b41d79123e.JPG

You have to be on the 'access list' notecard to use it, looks like.  Do people have to apply to be on the access list, or what?

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Nika Talaj said:

OH wow!  I turned to leave the parcel, and saw this little radio owned by the LDPW sitting on the sand!

Radio.JPG.a1443fada422920ac25d05b41d79123e.JPG

You have to be on the 'access list' notecard to use it, looks like.  Do people have to apply to be on the access list, or what?

Maybe they'll be setting up some sort of Usage Request list, sort of like when people want to have events at the Fairgrounds.  When you are approved, you get added to the notecard and then removed after your even it over.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Maybe they'll be setting up some sort of Usage Request list, sort of like when people want to have events at the Fairgrounds.  When you are approved, you get added to the notecard and then removed after your even it over.

maybe.  But personally, id love it to be less formalized, so that once LL approves a Party Zone DJ, they put them on the list for the rest of the year.  Then a DJ could decide to throw a quick bash today, or someone could spontaneously have a rezday party, and invite one of the approved DJs.  You wouldn't be able to rez decor (autoreturn currently set to 5 minutes, like in any rez zone), but you could party down on the beach!

It'd be great to also be able to "reserve" ahead of time, in which case you get rez rights for the duration of your event (and maybe other parcel permissions, set an environment, say?) and can put out decoration & pews or whatever. 

I love that there's rez zones around it, so you can arrive & depart in style if you like.

Of course, whenever you throw an event there, you'd have to be prepared for guests to just drop by.  So you wouldn't want to try to have a PRIVATE event at the Party Zone.  Maybe not weddings, then.

• Like 4

• Moles

It is intended to be an alternative venue to the Fairgrounds or Campwich Lodge that residents will be able to reserve for small events. Once the region is released (and named) the process to do so will be similar. Missy (Mischievious Mole) will be the person to contact once that happens. 😄

Edited by Abnor Mole
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 6

Both venues are fantastic.  I think Campwich is vastly underutilized, and I think the Party Zone will be too.  I think you'd see a LOT more utilization of both Campwich Lodge & the Party Zone if:

1.  The process to reserve them were less formal - really, it only makes sense to go through that process for a large, multi-day event.

2.  The venues were set up to also encourage casual, spontaneous gatherings.

Some specific suggestions perhaps @Mischievious Mole might consider?

1. It would help if the ability to switch the stream were separate from scheduling individual events.  For example, register DJs for an entire year, and set the notecards for ALL venue radios to include those DJs.  Then a DJ could spontaneously throw gigs at any one of these venues, instead of throwing lagfests in the residential regions in which they reside.
  2. Leave a dance ball at every venue all the time.  Couples dances as well as solos.  Several of us here in the forums could supply you with a list of good anims to stock them with.
  3. You want people to use the venues spontaneously, but not hog them.  So have a few specialized scripts enforce that.  For example, once someone sets the stream, have the radio "lock" to that stream (so that no one can reset it out from under a DJ), and automatically revert to the parcel default stream after 2 or 3 hours.  Have the radio limit any one stream to playing 2 or 3 hours a day.  Track visitors to the parcel, and politely eject them after 3 or 4 hours. 
  4. Have the scheduled event calendar for each venue displayed there, so there is no confusion over whether a venue is available.
  5. Make scheduling easier for both the moles & residents.
    1. Have a distinctive object or poster at each venue that displays the rules for using the venues, and dispenses a box with:
      1. all the venue footprints
      2. the link to the event registration form (is it still  https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfW3okOHHPkfRytljdXlWKQYaI9_d34oze3fN_z-O27BxfN0Q/viewform?  If so, that needs to be updated to allow scheduling any of the venues, not just the Fairgrounds.).
      3. stage prefabs
    2. Be able to schedule a "light" event as well as the multi-day ones usually mounted at the Fairgrounds.  By "light" I mean: 
      1. no "About Land" access (i.e. no landing point, no voice, no special environmental effects).
      2. Your event must be done within a single event 'slot' which is 6 hours long. 
      3. Instead of inviting event organizers into LL's Events group, just set the parcel to one of the organizers' groups for the duration of the event. 
      4. Limit setup to take place during the event 'slot'.  Any objects still in place an hour after the event schedule will be automagically returned.  Too bad if the organizer used nocopy items and didn't clean up.

Edited by Nika Talaj
  • Like 4

One thing that the Party Zone has going for it, being a rez zone.  Couples dances, like tangos and waltzes.  You can wear a couples dance ball like a chim, and set it up so that anyone who touches it can use it.  But it won't work unless it can rez something for the couple to sit on, so that they are positioned correctly with respect to each other.  In the Party Zone, it will work.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Evangeline Ling said:

I would love it if they just had a music stream playing there 24/7 and make it a really casual spot where people gather, rez out their own lawn chair or beach towel or boat and just listen to music and party

8 hours ago, Rabid Cheetah said:

Heck, none of that paperwork is really needed, if it's spontaneous.  Just go and hang out there, see if others do the same.  Or hang out there and tp-invite friends.

You guys are right.  It's a perfect place to be totally casual.  You know what?  Now I think LL should set their radio for public access.  Let anyone change the stream who wants to. 

That would really facilitate live musicians who want to busk and get some exposure!  Oh, wouldn't that be great!

If I arrive there & I don't like the stream and no one else is there, I'll change it.  If only a few other people are there, maybe I'll ask in chat if they're listening to music, and if not, I'll change it. 

And if a DJ wants to hold an event and someone there changes the stream out from under him, well, too bad.  DJs in Belli have internet-accessible streams; heck, in crowded regions with music I usually crank up AIMP just so the region isn't burdened by handling my listening.

If LL is afraid someone will put on a stream that's spouting hate ... any one of us can CHANGE IT!

Hey, @Patch Linden!  That alone would make it a real party zone!!

6nfa.gif.b042515ecdc800cb5b796e5598d57e31.gif

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Nika Talaj said:

That would really facilitate live musicians who want to busk and get some exposure!  Oh, wouldn't that be great!

If I arrive there & I don't like the stream and no one else is there, I'll change it.  If only a few other people are there, maybe I'll ask in chat if they're listening to music, and if not, I'll change it. 

And if a DJ wants to hold an event and someone there changes the stream out from under him, well, too bad.  DJs in Belli have internet-accessible streams; heck, in crowded regions with music I usually crank up AIMP just so the region isn't burdened by handling my listening.

If LL is afraid someone will put on a stream that's spouting hate ... any one of us can CHANGE IT!

picking up on this

a issue with anyone being able to change the stream is the same when at a RL party with drunk and wasted people. They keep changing the stream even in mid song

with the few SL buskers I have seen in public places they wear an attached media player for their own stream.  We can enable to hear their attached player if we want too

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mollymews said:

thinking about this a bit more

how it could work is the radiostream changer script device could prevent the stream from being changed while the person who last changed it is present on the parcel

That could work.  You could be even simpler, and only allow it to be changed once an hour or so.

Sometimes I wonder if the moles are short on scripting resources.  

Personally, if I were them, I wouldn't have taken the chance on making the whole circle a rez zone.  There are ways to get around the 5-minute limit, and some of them are nice and low-lag and could be used just for party decorations, and some of them are abusive.

Instead, I would put a dance ball out (in every large community area) that includes a large selection of both solo & couple dances, and would also script up a "Party" box that is a very special purpose rezzer usable by residents by reservation only, just for short-term decorations.  I would also put out a simple scripted reservation board that coordinates with the rezzer, and prevents hogging time in the area.  I am quite sure that this is possible, with close attention to specifications.  But NOOOOO.

On 7/2/2020 at 3:43 PM, Abnor Mole said:

It is intended to be an alternative venue to the Fairgrounds or Campwich Lodge that residents will be able to reserve for small events. Once the region is released (and named) the process to do so will be similar. Missy (Mischievious Mole) will be the person to contact once that happens. 😄

I am really disappointed in this response.  Always nice to hear from the Moles, but it is not actually respons-IVE.  What it really says is: Please shut up, we are going to do exactly what we have done before.

It does not acknowledge that these lovely community spaces are underutilized,  it does not pick up or respond to any of the thoughts shared in this thread.

It leaves one to speculate that the reason for this unresponsiveness is because LL/Moles do not think the community areas are underutilized because of any flaw in their setup, but because of a failure by residents to appreciate them.

For the record: residents don't use them more because they are not as usable as the simplest DJ clubs all over the grid.  The way that small DJ clubs do it is by having hosts that manage the club resources & gatherings; what I've been trying to do here is suggest more scalable ways to get some of the same facilities.

Gah. Here I've spent more time trying to help LL, when they don't want to be helped.  When will I learn.

I guess risks outweigh benefit from LL perspective.

Some plankton brained idiot creates a bot party neo nazi disco rally, and there's a press story with negative publicity. Josephine Public wanders past the plot and hears a live political rally with questionable views being broadcast, most people wouldn't think 'can I change the channel?', they are more likely to react differently, blaming LL for allowing hate speech.

These trouble-makers might be a minority but as their whole virtual life may be focused on mayhem it will take a lot of effort to reduce their opportunities to  express themselves. I would imagine that the collective memory of moles and LL staff include so many very unreasonable people that it affects how they approach things?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Raspberry Crystal said:

I guess risks outweigh benefit from LL perspective.

Some plankton brained idiot creates a bot party neo nazi disco rally, and there's a press story with negative publicity. Josephine Public wanders past the plot and hears a live political rally with questionable views being broadcast, most people wouldn't think 'can I change the channel?', they are more likely to react differently, blaming LL for allowing hate speech.

These trouble-makers might be a minority but as their whole virtual life may be focused on mayhem it will take a lot of effort to reduce their opportunities to  express themselves. I would imagine that the collective memory of moles and LL staff include so many very unreasonable people that it affects how they approach things?

What are you responding to? Your post seems out of place (see topic). 

On 7/5/2020 at 11:29 PM, Nika Talaj said:

You guys are right.  It's a perfect place to be totally casual.  You know what?  Now I think LL should set their radio for public access.  Let anyone change the stream who wants to. 

Hey, @Patch Linden!  That alone would make it a real party zone!!

1 minute ago, Love Zhaoying said:

@Love Zhaoying I am responding to @Nika Talaj who was hoping to change the system to make booking more spontaneous, and was disappointed with the formal booking which will be required. Does my response make sense to you now?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

It made perfect sense to me.  I understood the context to be related to those that were hoping for much less LL control of the Party area.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

It made perfect sense to me.  I understood the context to be related to those that were hoping for much less LL control of the Party area.

I see why I was confused now. The OP did not mention " bot party neo nazi disco rally, and there's a press story with negative publicity." Maybe you saw a relation between what you wrote and the OP, but I did not find a connection in the Original Post- because they did not mention that kind of "inflammatory" use of the public space. Unless I missed it, and I checked several times now (5-6 read-throughs).

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1388 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.