"All renderings are done in second life servers and we are only streaming them"

Arduenn Schwartzman

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1401 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I purchased an item on MP last night and it looked horrible from just a few meters away because of the bad LoD management. I've seen bad, including products of my own, but this was really bad.

So, naturally, I wrote an elaborate, yet negative review with screenshots. A few hours later, the merchant IMs me with the following advice:

Hello Arduenn, thank you for buying my items and i am sorry for the experience you had with the [no need to know], i have refunded [no need to know] L$ back for it, you can increase the lod factor to 6-8 as all rendering works are done in second life servers and we are only streaming them it does not make your computer tired

While the response is civilized and generous, I'm not to sure about the usefulness. Having to set to 6 to 8 sounds like total BS to me. Also, it's not about me. I want others to see the item in a reasonable manner as well. I cannot realistically require everyone to set their LoD Factor settings to 6-8.

But, more importantly, the phrase 'all rendering works are done in second life servers and we are only streaming them it does not make your computer tired' baffled me.

I'm aware that many years ago, there used to be a service called SL Go that would indeed do this, I also believe that this service no longer exists and that really all the work has to be done on each individual's computer. Unless I'm missing something.

Do the SL servers take away some of the work nowadays? Are LoD Factor settings as high as 6 or 8 really as ridiculously pointless as I think they are? The merchant also asked me to consider removing the bad review. I don't think that's fair to any future customer at all. I know the questions are pretty soft-ball, but I'd like to stay open to the fact that maybe the weirdest statements have a grain of truth in them. Any thoughts about all this?

Edited by Arduenn Schwartzman

2 minutes ago, Arduenn Schwartzman said:

I purchased an item on MP last night and it looked horrible from just a few meters away because of the bad LoD management. I've seen bad, including products of my own, but this was really bad.

So, naturally, I wrote an elaborate, yet negative review with screenshots. A few hours later, the merchant IMs me with the following advice:

While the response is civilized and generous, I'm not to sure about the usefulness. Having to set to 6 to 8 sounds like total BS to me. Also, it's not about me. I want others to see the item in a reasonable manner as well. I cannot realistically require everyone to set their LoD Factor settings to 6-8.

But, more importantly, the phrase 'all rendering works are done in second life servers and we are only streaming them it does not make your computer tired' baffled me.

I'm aware that many years ago, there used to be a service called SL Go that would indeed do this, I also believe that this service no longer exists and that really all the work has to be done on each individual's computer. Unless I'm missing something.

Do the SL servers take away some of the work nowadays? Are LoD Factor settings as high as 6 or 8 really as ridiculously pointless as I think they are? The merchant also asked me to consider removing the bad review. I don't think that's fair to any future customer at all. Any thoughts about all this?

it think there's more truth in the Cinderella story ...  if all would be streamed where does all lag come from... why does it take to load..textures... and so on.
We can watch streams with thousends of people... try that with avatars or regions :)

• Like 2

100% of the rendering is done in your viewer. 0% on the servers.

There were and are services that can stream games content to your computer. In this case 100% of the rendering is done on the machine that streams the content to you. Since you rent a powerful computer hosted by the service that way it explains why this services are not that cheap.

My LOD level is 2 and will stay there. Everybody that produces content that doesn't work under that LOD factor is incompetent. Default LOD factor is 1.25 btw so content is required to work under 1.25.

The answer of the merchant is very creative though. 😎

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Arduenn Schwartzman said:

If I'm remembering right, you can't even set your LOD factor above 4 and have it be persistent now. You'll get a "sanity check" and it will drop back down after you relog. It's also possible that the viewer now goes, "LOD factor of 8? Of course - I'm on it," smiles, and sets the LOD factor to 4 anyway.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

If I'm remembering right, you can't even set your LOD factor above 4 and have it be persistent now. You'll get a "sanity check" and it will drop back down after you relog. It's also possible that the viewer now goes, "LOD factor of 8? Of course - I'm on it," smiles, and sets the LOD factor to 4 anyway.

You can set it higher than 4 through debug settings, but it will be reset on relog (or crash).

1 hour ago, Nova Convair said:

100% of the rendering is done in your viewer. 0% on the servers.

I mean... technically avatar bakes are initially rendered ("baked") on LL's servers, you only need to render the final result... 0.01%? 😂

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Arduenn Schwartzman said:

Are LoD Factor settings as high as 6 or 8 really as ridiculously pointless as I think they are? The merchant also asked me to consider removing the bad review. I don't think that's fair to any future customer at all. I know the questions are pretty soft-ball, but I'd like to stay open to the fact that maybe the weirdest statements have a grain of truth in them. Any thoughts about all this?

It's not just ridiculous. Every time someone increases their LOD setting, a kitten or puppy dies! 

But what I really wanted to share, is Beq's interesting article about LOD which I hope others will also find helpful. 

For LOD's sake stop!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

6 hours ago, Arduenn Schwartzman said:

Hello Arduenn, thank you for buying my items and i am sorry for the experience you had with the [no need to know], i have refunded [no need to know] L$ back for it, you can increase the lod factor to 6-8 as all rendering works are done in second life servers and we are only streaming them it does not make your computer tired

23bb67307050fc87d5f88cd480286c97.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

1 hour ago, Talligurl said:

Should'nt they both see the same stream?

Maybe one is standing on the uphill-foggy-overgrown side of the stream, in a different parcel, on a different region, with a slower innerwebs connection..with the "stream source" set to "render poorly for slow innerwebs connections"..

• Haha 2

The confusing statement looks like a bad translation. Whether it's just that English isn't their first language or they're using a translator tool, who knows... but that's how it looks. Either way, it isn't okay to say you have to set everything to the moon to actually see it.

21 hours ago, Arduenn Schwartzman said:

Are LoD Factor settings as high as 6 or 8 really as ridiculously pointless as I think they are?

To find out, you have to use this:

https://cdn.the-scientist.com/assets/articleNo/36663/iImg/15248/d305ec2a-9f5a-4894-8cd3-a7c43bb0756b-brain-640.jpg

Most people have one, usually located somewehrre behind their eyes and between their ears. Not everybody have figured out how to use it though.

With brain switched on, rephrase the question: if increased LoD factor has no negative effect, why isn't it set to 8 or more by default?

Edited by ChinRey
  • Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1401 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.