Do you need to vent about things COVID-19?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1166 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Oh so this is where my ulcer was hiding. 

_____

The head of my local hospital announced in the local weekly newspaper that the peak has been reached. As a result there are more people out and about, because stupidly they have seen that little non-announcement as a sign that we can all mingle again! 

We now have a special police force out checking people are adhering to the social distancing rules. I never before saw so many police. Hashtagsomethingisn'tworking

Edited by Marigold Devin
  • Like 2

Then there's this: https://www.politifact.com/factchecks/2020/apr/28/facebook-posts/uv-radiation-not-common-way-kill-viruses-and-bacte/

Also as I understand the kerfuffle over the UV light/disinfectant snafu, was that Trump's morning briefing had a discussion about how to treat surfaces (not people) to remove the coronavirus and well, he kind of conflated that into internal, medical treatment to fight the COVID-19. I guess we should be pleased that at least he sort of  paid attention to the daily briefing?

As to whether I'd rather Trump do nothing? That's a resounding YES. The misinformation and contradictory information and the inflammatory information (liberate Michigan?) has been nothing but harmful. He needs to be muted, and we need an adult at the head of the process against coronavirus.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Saucey Sinister said:

I didn't realize I was excluded from sharing if I didn't say something about hating Trump. Y'all need some yoga. Seriously.

Well, it is quite clear you are not excluded from sharing, since obviously your posts are up.

Share all you want. That isn't the same thing as saying everyone will agree with you, nor is it the same thing as saying you won't be laughed at for ludicrous statements. In over your head, don't expect a life preserver thrown your way, especially with your winning style of discourse.

Y'all seem to think that none of us know yoga. That's just kinda strange. I suppose you had a family member cured of leprosy by doing daily sun salutations? Cuz... science!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Saucey Sinister said:

With that said, ask a constitutional lawyer or study the constitution for yourself. The federal government of the United States was not formed to tell us what to do. They are supposed to be there to protect our borders and through years of elections and people sleeping at the voter wheel, they have added more and more costly programs and laws, causing the government to be incredibly large and with wide spread control.

just picking up on this because it is a political statement. The bit about what the federal government is supposed to be there for

the US Constitution specifically says that the federal government can tell the States and the citizens what to do. While sometimes the people may not like that the federal government (thru the Executive-Congress-Judiciary system of constitutional government) can tell the States and them (the people) what to do, that the federal government can, is constitutional

the State signatories to the US Constitution themselves gave the federal government the constitutional right to do this. Operative clauses:

Article 4.1: Full Faith and Credit shall be given in each State to the public Acts, Records, and judicial Proceedings of every other State. And the Congress may by general Laws prescribe the Manner in which such Acts, Records and Proceedings shall be proved, and the Effect thereof.

and

Article 6.2: This Constitution, and the Laws of the United States which shall be made in Pursuance thereof; and all Treaties made, or which shall be made, under the Authority of the United States, shall be the supreme Law of the Land; and the Judges in every State shall be bound thereby, any Thing in the Constitution or Laws of any State to the Contrary notwithstanding.

James Madison, a signatory witness to the US Constitution, who was sceptical of big federal government wrote extensively about this.  Madison argued that there should be small government as a matter of personal principle. Madison's remedy for resolving/advancing personal principles is the political remedy. A remedy that still applies today. In this case, to elect representatives to the Senate/Congress who will decline to pass federal laws that they, the elected representatives, consider to be unnecessary

also the people (the voters) did not fall asleep at the wheel. The people voted for the representatives who passed all the laws applicable in the USA today

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Saucey Sinister said:

You really do need something to do, huh?

Pot calling kettle... yada. And Nope, I've got something to do. I'm going inworld to have some fun. And ignore you, because you are trite and boring me now. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Mollymews said:

just picking up on this because it is a political statement. The bit about what the federal government is supposed to be there for

the US Constitution specifically says that the federal government can tell the States and the citizens what to do. While sometimes the people may not like that the federal government (thru the Executive-Congress-Judiciary system of constitutional government) can tell the States and them (the people) what to do, that the federal government can, is constitutional

the State signatories to the US Constitution themselves gave the federal government the constitutional right to do this. Operative clauses:

Article 4.1: Full Faith and Credit shall be given in each State to the public Acts, Records, and judicial Proceedings of every other State. And the Congress may by general Laws prescribe the Manner in which such Acts, Records and Proceedings shall be proved, and the Effect thereof.

and

Article 6.2: This Constitution, and the Laws of the United States which shall be made in Pursuance thereof; and all Treaties made, or which shall be made, under the Authority of the United States, shall be the supreme Law of the Land; and the Judges in every State shall be bound thereby, any Thing in the Constitution or Laws of any State to the Contrary notwithstanding.

James Madison, a signatory witness to the US Constitution, who was sceptical of big federal government wrote extensively about this.  Madison argued that there should be small government as a matter of personal principle. Madison's remedy for resolving/advancing personal principles is the political remedy. A remedy that still applies today. In this case, to elect representatives to the Senate/Congress who will decline to pass federal laws that they, the elected representatives, consider to be unnecessary

also the people (the voters) did not fall asleep at the wheel. The people voted for the representatives who passed all the laws applicable in the USA today

The point of what I am saying is that when it comes to a crisis we are not supposed to take orders from the federal government and that our states really are supposed to be responsible for an emergency. The constitution does not tell anyone what to do. It protects our rights. My problem is that people look to the federal government and it's been programmed into people's minds to do so. I stand by everything I've said.

• Haha 2

Just a reminder to folks: The topic of this thread is things relating to COVID-19. While that includes things political, it is NOT a thread to discuss any and all things political. If you do, it is off topic.

Normally I can't give a rat's ass if things go off topic, but 10+ years on SL Forums is showing me which way this one could turn. I'd hate to lose the thread because some people just want to stir pots and all.

• Like 2

Just now, Seicher Rae said:

Just a reminder to folks: The topic of this thread is things relating to COVID-19. While that includes things political, it is NOT a thread to discuss any and all things political. If you do, it is off topic.

Normally I can't give a rat's ass if things go off topic, but 10+ years on SL Forums is showing me which way this one could turn. I'd hate to lose the thread because some people just want to stir pots and all.

Awww! I'm sorry. Did I not follow YOUR rules again? I am seeing a pattern here. You don't like when you can't control other people and their opinions. You're not used to people challenging you. I know and I'll learn to obey. We wear pink on Wednesdays, right?

Just now, Saucey Sinister said:

The point of what I am saying is that when it comes to a crisis we are not supposed to take orders from the federal government and that our states really are supposed to be responsible for an emergency. The constitution does not tell anyone what to do. It protects our rights. My problem is that people look to the federal government and it's been programmed into people's minds to do so. I stand by everything I've said.

i don't have any issue with your view that people should not look to the federal government for assistance.  This view is a matter of personal principle

appealing to a constitutional right which does not exists is not how this goes

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Mollymews said:

i don't have any issue with your view that people should not look to the federal government for assistance.  This view is a matter of personal principle

appealing to a constitutional right which does not exists is not how this goes

Let me say this a little more clear because this may have been missed in my giant post. I do think we need to rely on our federal government. But, my gripe is that people are just pointing fingers and blaming. My rambling was set up by the idea that people think the federal government is supposed to supply us with everything we need for any relief, when it's our state's responsibility and in order to get aid from the federal government they have to file to declare the state of emergency with the feds. That's where increase funding happens. That's the way it's supposed to work, that we need help so the feds send us help. I feel like all I was hearing was people want Trump to do nothing because they don't like him nor his innovative way of thinking. It is uncomfortable for them to have a conversation if they don't like the person. I am all in on the idea that the money we put in should be coming back to us. I do not like centralized power and that's where my real gripe is. I think it can be a very scary thing if we have a society that never learns these things and then accepts it in our future. I am more over Trump bashing than I am hearing about covid-19 and staying home. I am totally over hearing people pointing fingers and blaming, no matter who it is. Often, it's coming from the people who don't have much to be complaining about in the first place. If there was a strong political statement that I want to make it would be that we need to hold our local elected officials responsible for everything they are doing to affect our daily lives. Many people can't even name their state senators or their local representatives. I would like to see that change. A friend of mine the other day said, " I didn't realize we had a state congress." When you write emails and make phone calls, it does something. When people point fingers on the internet it's not only pointless, but it's the very bullying atmosphere most are against. With that said, I am done on the forums now and won't see anymore alerts. Thank you for listening. That's what I thought this thread was for or I would have never posted.

• Haha 5

9 minutes ago, Seicher Rae said:

You really need to eat your own advice. For myself and for everyone else, I'll do what I thought you were going to do and mute you. Just because you don't agree with me doesn't make it hostile. You just don't like what I have to say because I've not validated your feelings. My point was that this is what I am sick of and I am allowed to vent just like others are. You are the one who took everything I said as hostile because you can't handle the truth. Since I have not lived on the forums for the last 10 years to get the cred you have, I accidentally had the notification thing on otherwise I would be reading on the things I was researching in the forums. Find something productive to do.

• Haha 4

back on topic

i don't have a vent. More observations on what is happening in my community

a person in a small town, who knows they are infected, decided to go to the local supermarket, not for the first time. Freaked out everyone present again.  The person was arrested and charged with endangering the health of others, by failing to follow the instruction of a medical officer. The person was sentenced to one month of home detention where they are now required to wear to a GPS tracking ankle bracelet

i went to my local supermarket earlier this week. More people are now wearing gloves and masks than there were a month ago. Even tho we have downgraded from Level 4 to Level 3 severity.  People in the main, are still being cautious which is  good

• Like 6

I just read where some people who model pandemics for a living figure this is going to be around for up to TWO FRICKING YEARS, until about 60-70% of the world population has either had it, or been vaccinated.

I'm buying stock in grocery delivery services.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Mollymews said:

back on topic

i don't have a vent. More observations on what is happening in my community

a person in a small town, who knows they are infected, decided to go to the local supermarket, not for the first time. Freaked out everyone present again.  The person was arrested and charged with endangering the health of others, by failing to follow the instruction of a medical officer. The person was sentenced to one month of home detention where they are now required to wear to a GPS tracking ankle bracelet

i went to my local supermarket earlier this week. More people are now wearing gloves and masks than there were a month ago. Even tho we have downgraded from Level 4 to Level 3 severity.  People in the main, are still being cautious which is  good

I feel ya. When the first virus was confirmed in Detroit area they had a newspaper article that tracked where this man went. It was something like he flew in from Italy or England and ignored the talk of the voluntary quarantine. This single story turned into 4 others doing this and before we knew it cases were doubling. At first, I felt like sick people will finally realize how selfless they are when they participate in the community when they are ill. They put people at risk with just the flu and the shedding from flu shots. If they were more aware of their surroundings and their community we may not have the draconian lock down we have here in Michigan. But, sadly, people have to suffer before they understand things sometimes. Stay healthy!

11 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

I just read where some people who model pandemics for a living figure this is going to be around for up to TWO FRICKING YEARS, until about 60-70% of the world population has either had it, or been vaccinated.

I'm buying stock in grocery delivery services.

Speculation/scaremongering like that is enough to push people over the edge. I have only ever been able to compute life in one day at a time - up to a maximum of two weeks. 

One of my neighbours - 96 years old she was - gave up and died this week. Not of anything at all. Just of old age. And while I was looking after the brother I currently have been looking after for 17 years, his twin brother was found dead in his bungalow, aged 49 (this was 12 years ago). Necrotising pneumonia got him. I'd been keeping my eye on the wrong brother! 

What I'm clumsily saying here is we may be looking far too intensely at this current situation, when we need to follow the guidelines, and have some commonsense, and just live for today and tomorrow, the rest will work out (or not) as it's all meant to do.

• Like 1

While I agree that one should live one day at a time, I strongly disagree that my comment was "speculation/scaremongering".  This was research conducted by reputable epidemiologists.  Based on past pandemics, this is the outcome they're expecting.  https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/international/world-news/covid-19-pandemic-likely-to-last-two-years-report-says/articleshow/75502096.cms

It infuriates me, which is why I am venting about it in this thread about venting.

And yes, it scares me.  I wonder how we will deal with this over a period of years, not weeks.  But in the end, we WILL get through it.  Humanity always does.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1166 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.