Do you need to vent about things COVID-19?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1132 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

On 4/29/2020 at 9:23 PM, Sassy Kenin said:

personally I'm fine with it, knowing it's all just a Feardemic to gain more power from sheepish Americans.

What does the rest of the world think it is then?

On 4/29/2020 at 9:23 PM, Sassy Kenin said:

no vaccinations will be forced on me...my body, my choice.

What if it's your infected body against everyone else's choice?  Would you be waving the same banner if the hospitals refused to treat any unvaccinated people with the virus?
Luckily, most medical staff prefer to make the unselfish choice to risk all in attempts to save the lives of others, which their chosen profession demands...instead of draping themselves in American flags and AR-15's and screaming "conspiracy!"..."muh constitutional rights!"...."self, self, self,!", ...people who should be ashamed to even look at a flag never mind claim pride in belonging to the Nation it represents!

...Just my rant!

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

On 4/29/2020 at 11:44 AM, Seicher Rae said:

Clearly someone didn't get the briefing on how to wear a face mask...

image.png.95e9285d38fcf63ab713c547f546b857.png

PENCE IS A FOOL AND  A POOR EXAMPLE FOR THE NATION. YOU'D BE EVEN MORE AFRAID OF HIM IF YOU KNEW HIS THEOLOGICAL BELIEFS.

Edited by RangiUtu
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Dano Seale said:

What if it's your infected body against everyone else's choice?  

Quite. Some people can't have vaccinations for health reasons, but if all the healthy people have them, we get herd immunity. Vaccinations aren't about protecting only yourself or your child.

Actually, all the anti-vaxxers I know have been strangely quiet of late, which I'm taking as a good sign. Good thing we don't have effing cholera or polio to worry about as well, huh?

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Dano Seale said:

What does the rest of the world think it is then?

This is what amazes me about the far right conspiracy theories surrounding the pandemic.

Like, almost 150,000 people have died in Europe alone, in order to make Trump "look bad"? Or, are the quarter of a million deaths around the globe from this "fake news," and everyone, ranging from Boris Johnson to healthcare workers in Malaysia are "in on it"?

The inability of people to acknowledge the existence of an entire world of people beyond the narrow confines of their own borders sometimes astonishes me.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

This is what amazes me about the far right conspiracy theories surrounding the pandemic.

Like, almost 150,000 people have died in Europe alone, in order to make Trump "look bad"? Or, are the quarter of a million deaths around the globe from this "fake news," and everyone, ranging from Boris Johnson to healthcare workers in Malaysia are "in on it"?

The inability of people to acknowledge the existence of an entire world of people beyond the narrow confines of their own borders sometimes astonishes me.

As much as I detest what is going on in my country, and the fool and his coterie of dolts in DC... I'm feeling a "pet peeve" post coming on, and not because of your comment, Scylla. Yours was just the most on point to attach this comment: My country is not perfect, and I make complaints about it all of the time, especially in the Age of Trump. HOWEVER, we Americans are not a homogenous group and there are quite a few citizens who buck the Trumpy stereotypes. ALSO, the USA is not alone in having its idiots. How 'bout Boris in the UK? Or what is going on in Brazil. Or Hungary. Or... it is a fairly long list.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Seicher Rae said:

As much as I detest what is going on in my country, and the fool and his coterie of dolts in DC... I'm feeling a "pet peeve" post coming on, and not because of your comment, Scylla. Yours was just the most on point to attach this comment: My country is not perfect, and I make complaints about it all of the time, especially in the Age of Trump. HOWEVER, we Americans are not a homogenous group and there are quite a few citizens who buck the Trumpy stereotypes. ALSO, the USA is not alone in having its idiots. How 'bout Boris in the UK? Or what is going on in Brazil. Or Hungary. Or... it is a fairly long list.

I am in agreement. I actually crafted my last sentence pretty carefully to avoid seeming to assert that this was an entirely American issue.

The rise of a populist right wing in Europe and a few other places actually predates the election of Trump. UKIP and the National Front in Britain, Le Pen in France, and the AfD in Germany are the most obvious instances, but it's everywhere now, some inspired by the success of a Trump, but a lot of it coming out of its own national or cultural context. There is even a mostly muted (and sometimes laughably pathetic) version in Canada.

None of this is a merely "American" problem.

• Like 3

I got through about 3 posts before I couldn't take it anymore. Covis-19=politics. There's good and bad things about opinions. Personally, I'm sick of people talking about covid-19 and politics they don't always understand. The problem for most people are facts so I'd like to fill in people what it's been like politically in the 2000's in The United States of America and offer some things to research on your own if you are curious and have all of this time on your hands.

In America, we have had our federal government shifting as much power as they could over to the federal government post 9-11 at a rapid pace and these changes have not been based on political affiliation at all, as it's come from both sides who benefit from those they lobby for. In the Obama era, people were taught, through campaigning and example, that the federal government is the ruling law in America in the way that other countries take orders from their leaders. They believe, just like dictators do, that we should look to the federal government as our parents who should take care of us. Heavy propaganda by the media helped this agenda along. ( Research the WWII law that was reversed by Obama which now allows propaganda to be used against it's own citizens. Own citizens.) It's been common knowledge that the US does it all over the world and have never stopped interfering in other political events around the world ALL the time, all political parties.) People in America really did believe Obama would be buying them houses and all kinds of really sad things that were all over the news. If you start throwing news talking points from any news source, you could be a part of the problem because you do not understand the United States Constitution, The Bill of Rights, and States Rights. Let's be clear about something. Anyone can say anything and so long as it's not infringing on some law by which someone can sue, they are allowed to say it. That is what freedom of speech is. I could walk around calling you all purple people eaters, that it's true, and there's absolutely nothing you could do if I started a movement of other people who believed this. It's a concept called Group think. I encourage you to study this. If you aren't a fan of free speech, think about the fact that free speech could also silence your own opinion, right to assemble, and are essentially submitting to the federal government.... No, not Trump, the federal government. Trump will only be in office for another 4 years. If we didn't have this right, you could find yourself in a situation where you are starving and you can't even complain about it because you don't have the right to free speech or to assemble. This is why overriding states rights and looking to federal law to control us all is very dangerous, as this is not how America was built to work.

With that said, ask a constitutional lawyer or study the constitution for yourself. The federal government of the United States was not formed to tell us what to do. They are supposed to be there to protect our borders and through years of elections and people sleeping at the voter wheel, they have added more and more costly programs and laws, causing the government to be incredibly large and with wide spread control. Contrary to what most colleges are now teaching their students these days, our Attorney General and an entire body of lawyers in our federal government are the attorneys for the people. They have the right, have, and will sue to protect the citizens over overreaching government employees. They defend our rights in the Constitution and other protections we have. Add to it, Obama passed through a National Defense Authorization Act, that the federal government has the right to martial law, declared by any emergency. Most of the hardest hit with with covid-19 states declared emergency, with the acceptance of the federal government granting them, which allows for more funding and help from the government. The way in which the states are acting right now would not have been allowed prior to this move so even if you currently like your politicians locally, that could change and you may not agree. THIS is the beauty of the United States. We are meant to form communities and laws that make us happy, that are not a once size fits all for everyone, because we are ALL allowed to live free here in America... unless Mommy and Daddy government are allowed to take your rights away.

So, what am I trying to say? If you live in the United States and you are busy complaining about the federal government, you are part of the problem. It's time for you to learn how state government works. It truly is their job to prepare their state for any state of emergency. When they declare a state of emergency and it is GRANTED by the federal government, they receive more help financially and through goods they may need. The issue of states not being prepared and the US not being prepared has been talked about all through the 2010's. It's time to do more research on how government works in the US if you are busy pointing fingers at any one person.

As someone with a child who has been bubbled up and protected most of their life due to the threat of common germs, who is at high risk to be an extreme covid-19 case, trust me when I say I understand the worry. I don't like people having to "live in my world". But, fear is your worst enemy. It will make you sick. It will make you depressed, angry, etc. Knowledge is the key here. Turn off the news. Get the news out of your FB feed. Stop listening to people talking about this all the time and learn about something useful. Try states rights in US because if you are one of the people complaining about Trump in this whole thing, you really aren't helping anyone and you could be a part of the problem if you don't educate yourself before you vote in the US. ( Remember, your local votes mean WAY more than who the president is.) Let's remember that the Germans voted for Hitler and they gave away their rights away little by little for the sake of "doing the right thing" for their community. Trump is not Hitler, but some of our governors are actually breaking the law federally, as states rights do not override the constitution. ALL of these politicians are vying for power that puts money in their pockets, regardless of party affiliation. The fundamental difference between living in the US and elsewhere is that if we don't like the laws in one area we can move. What will happen if everyone continues to focus solely on the presidency?

Now, for my feelings on Covid-19:

It's a very scary time for the world in so many ways, but it's been beautiful to watch my own community come together. Whether we are talking about the volunteers who show up 4-5 times a week at various community schools to give free food to families in need, or the people who are out there storming the governor's office for our rights to keep our community thriving, or my son's teachers who have become moral support who check in on everyone daily. I feel truly blessed right now and I will continue to pray for all of you who feel stressed and hopeless. This too shall pass. The real challenge here is will you rise or fall? I'll be praying you rise and if you feel like you can't, just IM me in world for a free piggy back ride to the finish line. We're all in this together.

13 hours ago, Seicher Rae said:

sigh

Probably because Dr. Fauci might say the injection of Chlorox isn't quite the cure the admin was hoping for...

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2020/05/01/849375925/white-house-denies-congressional-request-for-dr-anthony-faucis-testimony

image.png.f23215048b9d11a728f7adb70ba673b8.png

Did you know that they actually do use UV light and inject it into the lungs of patients for other treatments? Do you know that UV light is a common treatment for many blood disorders and they even use them on infants? If you really believe Trump wants to inject people with bleach, then you have a common sense problem. Trump has been actively helping to come up with any possible idea they can find to change things for everyone. Would you rather he just sit back and say nothing? He's the head of the US. Just because you don't like him or the way he conducts himself doesn't mean you're right and he's wrong. If you watched the briefings, which I have daily, you would see he often talks out loud about many things that have become innovative ways we handle business now. If you can't support that then what exactly do you think should be done? Nothing? You should reeeeally think about what you're saying. Trump was speaking about UV light treatment he had just heard about. Not bleach. Now, you have heard about it, too. I highly suggest some yoga and meditation and stop drinking the propaganda kool aid.

• Haha 4
  • Confused 2

2 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I am in agreement. I actually crafted my last sentence pretty carefully to avoid seeming to assert that this was an entirely American issue.

The rise of a populist right wing in Europe and a few other places actually predates the election of Trump. UKIP and the National Front in Britain, Le Pen in France, and the AfD in Germany are the most obvious instances, but it's everywhere now, some inspired by the success of a Trump, but a lot of it coming out of its own national or cultural context. There is even a mostly muted (and sometimes laughably pathetic) version in Canada.

None of this is a merely "American" problem.

I love that you highlight this because being political became cool post Obama in the US. Most Americans have no idea what has happened globally unless they heard it on their favorite news source. They will say they like or hate this or that, but have no idea what is happening elsewhere. I genuinely believe that Trump rose to fame 3 important ways: 1.) The media hyped him up thinking he wouldn't be elected. Any publicity is good, believe it or not. 2.) Nigel Farage and the Brexit movement. 3.) Trump understands marketing and employed the right people.

• Haha 3

17 minutes ago, Saucey Sinister said:

Did you know that they actually do use UV light and inject it into the lungs of patients for other treatments? Do you know that UV light is a common treatment for many blood disorders and they even use them on infants?

Uh... just exactly how do you "inject" UV light?

And most people still cite UV irradiation as experimental, if not outright quackery.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Saucey Sinister said:

If you really believe Trump wants to inject people with bleach, then you have a common sense problem.

I agree with you that this begs common sense, injecting disinfectants that is. However, I believe Trump's own words, or is that not allowed? Must they be parsed?  https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/trump-disinfectants-covid-19/

• Thanks 2

Just now, Seicher Rae said:

Uh... just exactly how do you "inject" UV light?

And most people still cite UV irradiation as experimental, if not outright quackery.

You are welcome to do the research yourself, but use a different search engine than Google. Despite what you think you know, it's common for "alternative" therapies to be offered when there are no other choices. I was once told to look into UV as a treatment option for issues my son has from his team of doctors at a well known children's hospital. From what I remember, there's a few ways they do this through a technology that inserts a device through a ventilator, which allows doctors to infuse the inside of the lungs with UV light and they also do a radiation like version where they really do inject you with it. My son has had UV therapy multiple times and these things come up when you are speaking to a doctor, desperate and afraid that if this isn't good enough then there's nothing we can do for him. They have been doing it for a very, very long time. As I said in my first post, I feel bad that people like you are now living in "our world" where my child has lived with bleach baths to keep him from being in the hospital with skin infections and his medical team has used not so common treatments to keep my son alive as we dealt with the mystery of why he scratched himself till he bled and for about 9 years of his life didn't have skin on many areas of his body. When you are looking at life and death, you look into any treatment possible. I respect the president for his willingness to do this, despite the fact that most people aren't used to these treatments that people don't commonly speak about. What I just shared with you is something I have never shared with people outside of my family because it's so sad, like what all of you are experiencing now. Like Trump, when these people looked at my son with tears in their eyes it was my job to tell them everything was alright and would be alright. I'll take hope from anyone. I'll take ideas from anyone. Try it all so that because my son has only been a "normal boy" for about 2 years now and it will break my heart if he is stuck indoors playing with friends again, isolated the way he used to be forced to be. Be thankful that you never had to know about this treatment for any reason before we spoke. I'm thankful that you and many others didn't until I just mentioned it. I don't want people to live in a bubble the way we have for so long. I fear that if my friend with cancer gets it, she will die. Yet, prior to the hospital procedures being stopped, she was almost done with her treatment. How long will it be until she gets her radiation? What if she gets covid now, or 2 years from now? I want hope. I want people coming up with any idea they can.

2 minutes ago, Saucey Sinister said:

yada yada

Hate to tell ya, but I have a limited medical license, and have studied anatomy & physiology and worked in the medical profession, both the mainstream medical and the adjunct. So.... You clearly are one of the right-wing nut jobs. And while I have had interesting, if not frustrating, discussions with some of the Forums more reasonable "conservatives," you don't fit that bill. You started slinging at posters personally, not politically, people who haven't said a word to you. You can post all the Trump nonsense you want, but you lose me (and probably others) at the name calling and belittling. Yup, I called you a RWNJ, but not until you started spouting. So  buh bye.

This thread has been pretty respectful so far, even with the political disagreements. I don't see you as part of that.

• Like 5

Just now, Seicher Rae said:

Hate to tell ya, but I have a limited medical license, and have studied anatomy & physiology and worked in the medical profession, both the mainstream medical and the adjunct. So.... You clearly are one of the right-wing nut jobs. And while I have had interesting, if not frustrating, discussions with some of the Forums more reasonable "conservatives," you don't fit that bill. You started slinging at posters personally, not politically, people who haven't said a word to you. You can post all the Trump nonsense you want, but you lose me (and probably others) at the name calling and belittling. Yup, I called you a RWNJ, but not until you started spouting. So  buh bye.

This thread has been pretty respectful so far, even with the political disagreements. I don't see you as part of that.

You're so cute. You have an alleged medical degree and replied so quick you showed that you have ZERO empathy/sympathy for what I shared and are only here to get attention for your ego. LOL You lost your credibility with Snopes. You didn't hear Trump's words. You just want to complain. You want to feel justified or something. C'mere. If I stroke your ego for you will you calm down? I don't plan on validating your politics today. Next time, just start a thread that is titled: Stroke my ego about my politics because I am right. Might save you from opinions that aren't yours.

1 minute ago, Saucey Sinister said:

You have an alleged medical degree

Sweety, what I said was I have a limited medical license. I never alleged I had a medical degree. I guess you just aren't bright enough to know the very big difference.

Snopes is a good, neutral fact checking site. I also heard and read Trump's words. 

And you are really pretty darn nasty.

Carry on.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Seicher Rae said:

Sweety, what I said was I have a limited medical license. I never alleged I had a medical degree. I guess you just aren't bright enough to know the very big difference.

Snopes is a good, neutral fact checking site. I also heard and read Trump's words. 

And you are really pretty darn nasty.

Carry on.

Yes, I'm so nasty for wishing people didn't have to fear germs the way my family does. I'm so nasty for caring about wanting options. Seriously, do some yoga. Try some meditative breathing. You aren't here to care about anyone's feelings, but to have your own validated. I was never angry and I truly do not care what you think. Just so we're clear. Who's calling who names here, eh? Thank you for your permission to carry on. You must be a socialist. I forgot that I should ask you for permission for any move I make or word I speak.

• Haha 5

14 minutes ago, Saucey Sinister said:

Did you know that they actually do use UV light and inject it into the lungs of patients for other treatments? Do you know that UV light is a common treatment for many blood disorders and they even use them on infants?

You are out over your skis here Saucey. Babies with jaundice receive UV/Blue phototherapy because exposing blood to UV aids oxidation of the toxic bilirubin in it. A significant volume of blood reaches photo penetrable skin tissue, and that's why external phototherapy works for this and some hemolytic diseases.  Regarding infectious disease, only a few blood born pathogens are treatable directly via UV. Others may be treated if a suitable sensitizing agent can be found to make the pathogen susceptible to irradiation. No such sensitizing agents exist for viruses (caveat AFAIK, anybody know of an example?). Extracorporeal photopheresis has been around since the 1940s, and was largely supplanted by antibiotics. UV phototherapy for infant jaundice has also been linked to pediatric leukemia. The DNA/RNA damage done by direct exposure to radiation isn't always reparable by healthy cells.

Internal phototherapy is localized. In the case of cancers, a patient may receive a photosensitizing agent via the bloodstream, and then have a light placed near the tumor. If it's a skin cancer, the light is applied externally. If it's an internal cancer that easily accessible (GI lining or lung surface), a photo-emitting catheter may be used to bathe the tumor in light. Viral infections are not localized. They might reside/hide in virtually every cubic centimeter of your body. Again, we have no sensitizing agents for viruses. There's little reason to think photopheresis would work at all against COVID-19, let alone be a magic bullet.

So the "news" that Donald Trump just learned, and then brought the medical community last week, has been known to them since well before he was born, and to me since I was a teen. His suggestion of ingesting/injecting disinfectants exhibits an even greater degree of ignorance. You, as a lay person, might be excused for your level of science understanding here. The President of the United States gets no such pass. He's in command of tremendous resources and has immense expertise available to educate him. There is simply no excuse for him to step up before the public and spout such nonsense, other than that he's potentially uneducable. Unfortunately, the cynicism of his administration and the base it manipulates makes it possible for him to do so. The result is that ignorance becomes aspirational.

That doesn't seem like a good thing.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4

6 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

You are out over your skis here Saucey. Babies with jaundice receive UV/Blue phototherapy because exposing blood to UV aids oxidation of the toxic bilirubin in it. A significant volume of blood reaches photo penetrable skin tissue, and that's why external phototherapy works for this and some hemolytic diseases.  Regarding infectious disease, only a few blood born pathogens are treatable directly via UV. Others may be treated if a suitable sensitizing agent can be found to make the pathogen susceptible to irradiation. No such sensitizing agents exist for viruses (caveat AFAIK, anybody know of an example?). Extracorporeal photopheresis has been around since the 1940s, and was largely supplanted by antibiotics. UV phototherapy for infant jaundice has also been linked to pediatric leukemia. The DNA/RNA damage done by direct exposure to radiation isn't always reparable by healthy cells.

Internal phototherapy is localized. In the case of cancers, a patient may receive a photosensitizing agent via the bloodstream, and then have a light placed near the tumor. If it's a skin cancer, the light is applied externally. If it's an internal cancer that easily accessible (GI lining or lung surface), a photo-emitting catheter may be used to bathe the tumor in light. Viral infections are not localized. They might reside/hide in virtually every cubic centimeter of your body. Again, we have no sensitizing agents for viruses. There's little reason to think photopheresis would work at all against COVID-19, let alone be a magic bullet.

So the "news" that Donald Trump just learned, and then brought the medical community last week, has been known to them since well before he was born, and to me since I was a teen. His suggestion of ingesting/injecting disinfectants exhibits an even greater degree of ignorance. You, as a lay person, might be excused for your level of science understanding here. The President of the United States gets no such pass. He's in command of tremendous resources and has immense expertise available to educate him. There is simply no excuse for him to step up before the public and spout such nonsense, other than that he's potentially uneducable. Unfortunately, the cynicism of his administration and the base it manipulates makes it possible for him to do so. The result is that ignorance becomes aspirational.

That doesn't seem like a good thing.

Oh. I'm sorry. I must have been dreaming when they were used on my son's skin as a disinfectant in the children's hospital. I love how you know it all. You must have experienced it all. Pardon me for sharing my experience and existing. I didn't realize I was excluded from sharing if I didn't say something about hating Trump. Y'all need some yoga. Seriously.

• Haha 4

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1132 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.